Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
OK, so my 30 days is passing this week since the water has been filled, I have been using pool math app, following the TFP/Pebbletec guide for water chemistry, now as I am preparing to add salt and get my SWCG working to produce chlorine for this weekend, below is the TFP numbers I should shoot for...am I missing anything? I am a little confused on what salt ppm I should shot for. I tested tonight (got my test kit today!!) and the fill water is at 600 ppm for salt.

TFP recommended levels:
FC 4-6 ppm - OK - I have been losing chlorine everyday and adding liquid to maintain around 3 ppm.
PH 7.2-8.0 - OK - 7.5 as of today, seems to raise up every several days, I add muriatic acid to bring it down within range
TA 50-90 - TA is at 80
CH 350-450 for plaster - CH is at 250, so Pebbletec has a different range, but I am all in on TFP, so bring it up to 400 which is much higher than Pebbletec recommendations?
CYA 60-90 - at 50, so I'll add CYA to bring to 80? or maybe slightly lower?
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level - This is where I am a little confused on what ppm I should shot for??? 3,000 ppm? 3,400 ppm?

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: TexEdmond
All your numbers aren't bad at all. CH should be higher as per TFP recommendation and CYA just aim now for 60-70 as the sun angle isn't what it's in mid summer. Salt aim for 3000 so not to overshoot. You can always add and bring it up a bit. As long as the cell isn't complaining you should be good. Try to keep the FC on the hot side of target so you don't get caught by surprise and be low.

Reactions: Herkimer
Good on you! Remember that CH and CYA are the two levels that are difficult to lower without partial drain / refill.

TA looks fine, that will likely drop some if you're consistently doing the 8.0-7.5 pH yo-yo.

CYA 80 might be a little much this late in the season. If your pool doesn't get a ton of sunlight throughout the day, you could aim a bit lower. Try 60-70 awhile to see how you like it and how it feels with your pump and cell percentage. Kick it up a notch if it feels like you want to run things less.

I believe Pentair's "ideal" ppm is around 3600ppm, but it's my understanding they'll work across a very wide range of salt concentrations. The 200-400 above recommended level compensates for splashout and whatever leaves the pool on bathing suits. Salt doesn't leave via evaporation, you'll just see the concentration sneaking up.

As you continue to do your tests, look at the CSI in Pool Math. You've got new plaster, so don't get too far negative into CSI. For longterm SWG cell health, try to keep that number slightly negative (+0.0 to -0.3). I don't know if that's something that'll harm new plaster after 30 days cure, might be worth a search here to find out.

Reactions: Herkimer
Finally got started on my other outdoor items last week, most of the Pergola is up, just some trim and the TV cabinet to go in, then staining...lot's of staining. We did the 2x2's by hand....I will be spraying the rest!! We have been using the pool a lot and I sort of got the chemistry thing figured out. Got an actuator installed so I can control the sheers and bubblers via the ET8/Screen Logic, it is maxed out now at 9 functions (used the solar for the last actuator). Pergola1.jpgPergola2.jpgPergola3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.