New pool going up before season, should I winterize?

Psuarmy

May 23, 2020
Pittsburgh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our new above ground pool is getting installed in April (Southwest Pennsylvania). It will be about 4-6 weeks before I would want to open for the season. Should I winterize it for a few weeks or should I just open the pool and keep close to shock level until I am ready?

We might have a freezing/frost night, but not long enough to freeze the water. I don't want to work to winterize for only a few weeks, but don't want to waste money for 6 weeks with no one swimming.

What about dumping chlorine into the pool as it is filling to get it to shock level or higher but only filling to below skimmer and leaving solar cover on it, if freeze is concern?

Suggestions welcome.

Congrats on the new pool!
I wouldn't bother closing / winterizing the pool. I always opened in mid April and that was after the water was a frozen block of ice all winter. The water you put into the pool will probably already be in the 50-60s. Granted it will cool down, with the colder temps, but not likely freeze much.
You have two options. Fill it just below the return, add liquid chlorine and stir with a brush until it's time to make the pump operational. That'll be in about a month.
Other option is to fully fill and make the equipment operational. This is more risky with the colder weather, but would allow you to get the chemicals adjusted (CYA, ph) and easier to add the chlorine. The CYA will allow your chlorine to hold longer.
If it was me, I'd fill enough to cut in the skimmer & return and just add liquid chlorine by hand and stir with a brush.

Set it up and run as normal. I'm usually open by April myself and I'm in SWPA.

Congrats on the new pool!
I wouldn't bother closing / winterizing the pool. I always opened in mid April and that was after the water was a frozen block of ice all winter. The water you put into the pool will probably already be in the 50-60s. Granted it will cool down, with the colder temps, but not likely freeze much.
You have two options. Fill it just below the return, add liquid chlorine and stir with a brush until it's time to make the pump operational. That'll be in about a month.
Other option is to fully fill and make the equipment operational. This is more risky with the colder weather, but would allow you to get the chemicals adjusted (CYA, ph) and easier to add the chlorine. The CYA will allow your chlorine to hold longer.
If it was me, I'd fill enough to cut in the skimmer & return and just add liquid chlorine by hand and stir with a brush.
Thanks, That is how I was leaning. I guess on when in April it goes up will be my determination. Later in the month when there is less freeze issue I will just open it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.