Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
hello all,
New to pools and this forum, I have been reading through some posts and just received our k-2006 and am ready to tackle balancing the water. Our pool was just put in (should be in my signature) a ~15000 gallon SWG pool, pool chlorinator is 50% and salt level is 3400 ppm. With the frenzy of pool installs the shop added all but 4 bags of salt and gave us a quick tutorial on how to maintain/run the pool. Tested FC (.6) and CYA (30 - was just clear) with new water/pool. For verification from you guys - based on Pool Math I am going to:
  1. add bleach to raise my FC via 1 quart of 7.1% - going to slowly pour out near a jet
  2. add borax to raise CYA via 28 oz - in a sock in the skimmer basket
Does this sound correct and should I break up the CYA addition to smaller amount over a day or two. anything I need to be careful about? I want to start slow and after I get these numbers more in line with what it needs start test the others.

thank you guys for all the help.

do you want CYA above 30? I don't think Borax will raise your CYA, we use "conditioner" for that. maybe read through the pool school again and download the pool math app., it is a great tool. Also on a lot of things it is best to change it slowly and not all at once, many times it is harder to change it back once stuff is added.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your signature still isn't showing :scratch:, but I can see in your Poolmath log this is a vinyl pool. From there, I have the following comments:
- Borax will impact pH and TA, not CYA. You want granule stabilizer or liquid conditioner for that. Stabilizer is much cheaper. Salt pools need a CYA closer to 70 ppm.
- Use liquid chlorine to increase the FC to about 4-5 ppm until you get the SWG output and pump run time dialed in for FC production. Always refer to the FC/CYA Levels.
- Be sure to keep the pH somewhere between 7.2 - 7.8 for now.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

ohh.. thank you for the responses, I messed up the chemicals.. not good. thanks for straightening me out.. Will add the proper stuff slowly and see and see how far I get. Thanks again..

Reactions: Texas Splash
ohh.. thank you for the responses, I messed up the chemicals.. not good. thanks for straightening me out.. Will add the proper stuff slowly and see and see how far I get. Thanks again..
One other thing that will help is post you full test results here. I learned that the hard way. Dont add anything without testing first and stay out of pool store lol. Good luck

Since you are new I thought I would throw in that a lot of these numbers are close to what you need but may not be exact, that is why you doing the testing and controlling your pool is so important. For example Texas says for a SCWG to have the CYA up around 70....that works great for almost everyone but I had a lot of problems when I tried to run it that high, my pool is much happier if I keep it around 30-40. Basically you need to find what works best for you and your pool, we are here to help and offer guidance as needed. It is actually much easier than relying on the pool store, cheaper, and more rewarding, good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the comments, I retested before making my additions:
FC .8
CC 0
CYA 30
PH 7.8

I am only working on FC and CYA right now and PoolMath had me adding specific amounts, I split those amounts in half using liquid chlorine and granular stabilizer(added to warm water and mixed), so will see how my pool changes over time as I creep up to what is hopefully a well balanced pool.

granular stabilizer(added to warm water and mixed)
Use the sock method. If you did the above and dumped it in the skimmer it may show up in a few days to a week.

Add chlorine now! Your FC should never go below 3 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.