New Pool - First Filter Clean and Chemical Questions

I understand the adherence to the TF/Taylor kits. Unfortunately, it is what I have right now. That being said, I am not concerned with the .00 at all. I just write what the machine tells me. I didn't know it was irrelevant.

Last night I tested a couple hours after adding the chlorine and got the reading above, FC-5.

This AM
FC-6
PH 7.6

These PH swings seem to be normal. I get the PH low, but it doesn't stay there very long. I have a Spa overflow and a bubbler that has bee running all night and I have new (4month) plaster pool and the concrete is still curing. I put A LOT of acid in my pool.

I fully tested my water this AM. Since adding 4lbs of dichlor over the past few days it went from 100 April 4 to 60 this AM. I have never had a Ak issue after balancing it 4 months ago. I have never added so much chlorine either

Is this normal or Could it be a bad test? I am hesitant to adjust it, but that is low.

I only lost .2 chlorine overnight last night. I lost 4ppm in the sun yesterday. CYA is now around 30. Should I raise it 10 more?

I’m gonna take my water to Leslie and see what their test says.

I’m gonna take my water to Leslie and see what their test says.
Be careful there. We can just about guarantee that their results will vary. CYA store testing for example, which we know doesn't change in a short period, they will show different results day by day. You are also placing a lot of faith in your ColorQ testing which is certainly your prerogative, but again, we've seen some disparities with those as well. So yes, you should be cautious about what you add to the water based on those results.

All things considered, if your CYA is low (say 30 or less) and you know you have no algae based on crystal clear water and passing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, it should be safe to increase the CYA to 40-50 in preparation for summer. That additional CYA should protect the FC much better. Be sure to keep the FC balanced to the new CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

As for TA, try not to be too obsessed with a TA number. It's a buffer. PH is much more critical. If your pH is rising too fast each day or two, then leave the TA down around 60 and it's fine. Otherwise, a TA anywhere between 60-80 should do well.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Chiming in to mention a couple things.
*Dichlor is not ph neutral
Here are the effects with each lb of 99% dichlor you add to your pool
👇
CF05DF07-708D-40CB-9C28-54B00EF960DF.png
* CYA -
liquid cya is weird- it likes to glob up & get stuck in the bottle so using less than a whole gallon is not recommended. If you must use liquid cya be sure to shake it extremely well, use the whole bottle, & then rinse & shake the bottle multiple times pouring that in the pool or you may not yield the expected results.

With each addition of cya containing chemicals you must concurrently increase your fc so you keep it above minimum (preferably within target 🎯 range)
FC/CYA Levels

You are also placing a lot of faith in your ColorQ testing
😎 - It’s not faith, it’s the color Q or nothing. It’s all I have “right now”. This will change, but I need to wait a couple weeks. Tons going on with family/Easter, just bought pool furniture…/$$$. I’m gonna get water tested at store just to compare, not adjust.

If it is recommended to use a full bottle, maybe I can return the liquid CYA and get more dichlor, I’ll try.

I feel like I am on a healthier path and will switch to liquid chlorine once my CYA level is in the 40s and use dichlor to raise CYA as needed.

Is the TF pro with stirrer recommended?

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
😎 - It’s not faith, it’s the color Q or nothing. It’s all I have “right now”. This will change, but I need to wait a couple weeks. Tons going on with family/Easter, just bought pool furniture…/$$$. I’m gonna get water tested at store just to compare, not adjust.

If it is recommended to use a full bottle, maybe I can return the liquid CYA and get more dichlor, I’ll try.

I feel like I am on a healthier path and will switch to liquid chlorine once my CYA level is in the 40s and use dichlor to raise CYA as needed.

Yes for the stirrer- it really is helpful!

It’s all I have “right now”.
We understand 100%. I hope our repetitive statements about testing (kits) and accuracy don't become annoying or feel like we're trying to pressure you. Not at all. Sometimes, as in my post above, it's just a way to preface a recommendation so others are aware that you may have limitations at the moment. As an example, we have many members who only have a simple HTH drop test kit from Walmart. We get it. They use what they have at the moment until they can get something else or something better. If there's one thing we can all agree on, money doesn't go as far as it once did, so we have to accommodate. When you're ready to switch gears to a new testing product, let us know if you have any questions. And yes, the speedstir is phenomenal. Have a great weekend. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We understand 100%. I hope our repetitive statements about testing (kits) and accuracy don't become annoying or feel like we're trying to pressure you. Not at all. Sometimes, as in my post above, it's just a way to preface a recommendation so others are aware that you may have limitations at the moment. As an example, we have many members who only have a simple HTH drop test kit from Walmart. We get it. They use what they have at the moment until they can get something else or something better. If there's one thing we can all agree on, money doesn't go as far as it once did, so we have to accommodate. When you're ready to switch gears to a new testing product, let us know if you have any questions. And yes, the speedstir is phenomenal. Have a great weekend. :swim:
Thanks for that!!!

I went to the pool store and got my water tested. They use the lamotte Spin Touch and the number were quite different than my Lamotte ColorQ. Hmm.... Maybe my test tubes were dirty?

My Test / There Test
FC 2.4 / 5.1
TC 2.4 / 5.1
PH 7.5 / 8
TA 60 / 67
CH 219 / 198
CYA 29 / 25

given the differences, I really don't have an accurate number except to say somewhere around there, which is fine since everything looks good and no one is swimming. I guess I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get the TF-Pro.

I WAS able to return the liquid stabilizer and got one more bag of Dichlor which should raise my CYA above 30. When my test kit comes in I will start to dial everything in with more precision, using Dichlor to raise CYA and Liquid Chlorine for maintenance.

For years I used the Taylor drop kit vs the DPD-FAS and it served me well. The standard here is the Taylor kit, assuming you test correctly the members have a way to judge what to do based on the Taylor reading. I bought the Taylor FAS last year with our new pool and I kept screwing up the testing ... luckily I caught myself most times! 🙄

And yes, we can spend quite a bit of money on pool stuff! When I opted for the SWG my wife saw the price and was like 'are you serious?' Yep, because the price of chlorine was too expensive and the hassle of what happens when we go on vacation. Then came the other stuff ...

Just my opinion, just keep testing with what you have, be aware that the readings may differ, really don't trust the pool store reading (I believe the Leslies near me actually used the Taylor kit at one time) and when you can, get a Taylor kit.

Remember that it’s safe for swimmers, surfaces, & equipment for the fc to be anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya
FC/CYA Levels so hedge your bets by keeping fc a bit higher until you can trust all your results.
On cya there’s really no inbetweens so anything between 20 & 30 counts as 30. This means fc up to 12ppm is fine. No reason to flirt with minimum, that’s just asking for algae to creep in. Aim for high target 🎯 at least.

Reactions: Newdude
I got my tfpro test kit last night. It looks complicated 😀.

I am reading the instructions and the chlorine drop test says:

“Use this test for accuracy (within 0.5 ppm) and/or levels of chlorine above 5ppm”

Does this mean it only works if chlorine is above 5ppm?

I got my tfpro test kit last night. It looks complicated 😀.

I am reading the instructions and the chlorine drop test says:

“Use this test for accuracy (within 0.5 ppm) and/or levels of chlorine above 5ppm”

Does this mean it only works if chlorine is above 5ppm?
No - it’s good for .5 ppm to 50ppm

Just do 1 test at a time - it’s not that bad I promise 😁

Here’s all the videos if you need them.
The videos are a little old & now the instructions for the ch test call for different amounts of test water & reagent so you can use less reagent but the process is the same.
This is good intel. Thank you.

I am glad to hear that I mis read the instructions. It didn't make sense that a FC test would only go as low as 5.

I have not added anything to my pool since last week so it will be interesting to see where my numbers are. I predict my PH is up near 8 and my chlorine is in the 0.something. I know y'all are opposed to nature 2, but I want to do a test. What does my pool look like a week after getting chlorine levels high and not adding anymore and the same, but with a nature 2 cartridge.

I am WELL AWARE after reading a lot on here, the there is no substitute for Chlorine, but I am curious. Since they installed it on my pool, I have a cartridge and no one can swim in the pool, I might as well see if there is a difference.

Since they installed it on my pool, I have a cartridge and no one can swim in the pool, I might as well see if there is a difference.
There is never an acceptable reason to add metals to your pool. No amount of buyers remorse justifies it.

Reactions: dfwnoob
Nature 2 is designed to have some chlorine residual to be considered a sanitizer so even if the “minerals” aka metals keep the water clear (no visible algae) it will not be sanitary.
It’s your pool- you can do what you want.
My suggestion is to do all the tests with the tfpro. Get fc up to target 🎯 levels for your cya
FC/CYA Levels & do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if nasties have proliferated in this time since you haven’t been maintaining fc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.