New Pool - Filled Saturday

JonV

Silver Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Gilbert
Hello TFP,

My pool was filled on Saturday after plaster applied the day before. Company reps came and completed start up on Monday. I do not know what had been added to the pool but below are reading results from my TFP kit.

FC: 1 ppm
CC: .5
TC:: 1.5
pH: 8.2
CYA: 20
CH: 275
TA: 100
Water Temp: 83

Should I add any chemical to keep water in check? BTW, I am brushing twice daily and the kids are swimming every afternoon.

Jon

Congrats on the new pool! :goodjob: Jon, according the the PoolMath tool, your water has a potential to create scale. That's not going to happen right away so don't panic, but it's because the pH is a bit elevated. PH will rise quickly for several months as the new plaster cures. So keep muriatic acid handy to knock the pH back down and keep it in the mid-7s fo now. A pH of 7.5-7.6 would be good. Don't use the water features unless you have to or just to flush thenm out with fresh water. They increase pH.

The other concern - algae. You need better chlorination protection. Increase the FC immediately to about 5. You should also increase the CYA a bit more. Are you in Gilbert, AZ? Gettin' hot right about now. If so, I'd increase the CYA to at least 40 and never let the FC drop below 4. Always refer to the FC/CYA Levels for algae prevetion.

Thanks for the information Pat. I am in Gilbert and air temp is currently 89 and water is 84 (had solar cover on since last evening). I have some chemical from start up kit to lower pH but will wait for pool company reps to return. I will add them myself using the Pool Math if they don't show.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.