New Pool equipment layout and design issues

Jun 11, 2011
Needing some help on the equipment plumbing layout and design.
I have 2 2in skimmers that are separated, 2 2in bottom drains that are tied together, 4 1.5in returns tied together with 2in, 4 1.5in bubblers tied together with 2in, 3 3/4in deck jets fed with 1.5in trunk and a 1in for the slide. I have a 2in Hayward S244T2 300lb sand filter, a Pentair 120/240 1.5 HP Superflow and a 240v Sta-Rite Intellipro VSF 3HP. I don’t have a heater currently but will have once once I get my propane tank so I want to install valves to tie that in later. My plan originally was to use the 3hp pump for filtering and the 1.5hp for features but now I’m not sure that’s the best way to do it or how to go about laying out the plumbing for that. I’ve since back tracked and decided that may I just need the VS pump since its not likely I would have the bublers, deck jet and slide all going at the same time. I’ve attached a picture of a rough sketch that I’ve drawn up. Also I have the Intellicenter load center i5P pool only with 40k cell, 3 intellivalves, 3 micribrites, this is all new to me since I’m coming from an above ground pool. It already looks like I have an issue with my intellivalves since there are only 2 connections for them in my panel, so I think I may need an expansion board. I appreciate any help you all can give me this forum has always been a big help with my previous pool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 33
Heater can be done with a three way valve on the inlet, and a check valve on the outlet, but that's only a money-saving, space saving, kinda thing. It all looks functional to me. If the heater's a future thing, just the three way valve and a PVC cap glued on the future heater outlet return.

The 3 HP pump can probably run it all at the same time, IMHO. You can throttle things back as needed to get what you want, though deck jets depend a lot on how spectacular you want it to be.

You'll probably find out in a season or two that one of three features is used less often, so one electric valve could be left manual for a while until you know, but again, just my frugal nature coming out :) You may end up with an electric valve on the main returns so you can throttle back and direct more flow to the features, but that could be added only if needs be.

I would not plumb the heater bypass with 2 way valves. I would only use a 3 way and a check, so as to prevent the possibility of dead heading the pump.

I would verify the flow rates required for all your features. I have 2 pumps, one dedicated for my water features, and one for the filtration. Deck jets get used the least as they are noisy and I don't like talking over them if I have guests over. If the kids are out there, they are usually on. I probably would not install them again. Bubblers and wall scuppers get used all the time.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.