New pool - do I have a leak?

BJJDad73

Oct 4, 2021
Milford, MA
I may be overthinking this, but trying to make sure I don't have an issue. Located in Massachusetts. Inground pool was installed late last year, never really got to use it. Patio still being worked on - they got about 1/2 way done.

Water level was pumped out to below the skimmer at the end of the year and the pool was winterized by the pool company. I thought about covering it but ended up not covering the pool over the winter. When warmer weather came and all the snow melted I thought I'd find myself with a full pool because of the snow, but instead found the water level around the same or maybe a bit lower than before the snow and freezing temps came. This made me think I might have a leak.

I filled the pool and ran the bucket test. Passed with flying colors, even after a week or so. Level remained steady in the pool and bucket for a couple days when the weather was cloudy. Once the sun came out the level dropped a bit - maybe 1/4", but the same amount in both the bucket and pool.

It has now been around 12 days since I filled the pool and I haven't checked often, but checked tonight and the water level has dropped maybe 1.5 inches. My bucket is still out there and it has not dropped that much. 1.5" seems like a lot to me since the weather is not warm and no one is going in the pool. But, I also hear windy weather can cause water loss and it was pretty windy for a few days. On the other hand we had some rain as well.

Am I overthinking this? If I had a leak, wouldn't it be consistently dropping and not just certain days? I want to make sure I don't have a leak before the patio guys get back to work, just in case something has to be dug up. The pool company is coming in a couple of weeks to open my pool.

I'm stressing out here! Any advice appreciated.

I wouldn't overthink it too much just yet. It is true that wind will cause quite a bit of water loss. Add to that warmer weather and if you have relatively low humidity, the water level can certainly drop. You can also gauge a potential leak by changes in water chemistry - specifically CYA, CH, and salt since those 3 don't just disappear quickly. If you find any of those dropping, then you might have a problem. Until then, open as soon as you can and enjoy. :swim:

This time of year we have drastic temp changes. The warmer pool from today and tomorrow will evap like crazy tomorrow night when it's 34 again. Tonight will be seasonally breezy and get you for a different reason. Then 4 days will be not so bad. So fluctuations in water height is GREAT. If you have a leak it will be steady over a long time. If it's plumbing related, it may only be evident with the system running, but over time it would be fairly consistant.

When I was using my heater with no cover, my acre was so dense with fog it looked like a horror movie. It was 57 bazillion particles of my pool floating around the yard.

Don't forget also, that the snow melts about 12:1. Unless the pool was mushroomed with a giant pile of snow on the frozen pool, it wouldn't amount to much water added.

Welcome to pool ownership. You have your first newborn again and you'll be just as overreact-y. But everyone here is on their 4th kid. Pfffffffft. 102 degree fever ??? That's barely warm. :ROFLMAO:

We got you now. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.