New pool: Design Phase - Advice on Equipment, Please

Don't worry about your changes! If they're in the right business, then they enjoy fiddling with designs and appreciate new ideas.

I understand about having a hard time imagining the outcomes of design and space! In fact, I have to confess that in one shot of your pool (I think on a video), it looks like the diver would enter the water nearly at the shallow end! I know that's not correct, but that shows you my perception issues!

The elevated rock waterfall will be WOW Gorgeous! So much prettier than the plank hanging over the deep end. There is a lot of info on here about depths and widths needed for safe diving. I don't mean your picture above isn't. But it seems to me a rock waterfall/jumping pad might need more space - length and width. Knowing kids, they could/would jump off of the sides, the highest rock, etc. I have 2 grown sons and didn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Still don't sometimes! LOL!!!

Can't wait to see the next video! Suz.

New video is in. The design is good but the layout is a little off and it doesn't include the hot tub and future outdoor kitchen/pavilion area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuagUHXowuA

Minor changes needing to be made:

1) Scoot the pool to the left where the concrete comes off the other side of the fireplace so we can see the Waterfall from the living room window on the right side (looking out from the living room).
2) Add small swim-out in the deep end on the side nearest the house.
3) If it’s not necessary to have the pool that far from the house I would rather use that extra concrete off to the right side for the Hot Tub pad and pavilion pad.
4) Add a narrow ribbon around the bottom of the pool so the kids can walk around the pool without getting in the grass.

Finally feel that we are dead set on a design. Hope the other phases are less taxing.

That's such a cool video!! I've never seen one with a view of the pool looking out from inside the house.

I think you're right about scooting the pool down so the waterfall can be seen from the living room. One suggestion: get something large (close to the height and width of the waterfall - a refrigerator box?) Use it to figure out how far the front of the waterfall must be scooted to see it from the living room. And when in the living room, do you want to be able to see it walking in or while seated. All those viewing angles are tricky and different from each other. Just because you see the SPOT where the waterfall will be, doesn't mean you will see the center of the falls. It's so hard to visualize plans.

I agree with you on 2 and 4.

Number 3 - I can't say because I don't really understand it.

Would ya'll want a small step-out across from the sun shelf since there are deck steps there? It might be convenient.

I have a question about the waterfall. In the video, it shows the water flowing from the top where people stand. If that's an accurate depiction, could it become slippery? I honestly don't know if it would.

One last thing: Haven't you noticed that the guy on top of the waterfall never jumps in? I think he's chicken! Somebody, please push him in! A great pool - even more fun than the last with the Boring Board! Take care. Suz.

Wow, thank you all for the comments. My wife REALLY wants a spa that is part of the pool. I have made all of the objections above but she is not nearly as practical as I am. We really want to be able to see the spa spillover from the dining room which is the three windows behind the tanning ledge. Here is what our PB came up with, a spillover into the pool and another one facing the house. I will be expanding the the patio to the right facing the house and preparing a pad for phase 2 which will be cabana type area with a grill and a bar.

https://youtu.be/ZNigkg-vGKg

I've never seen one like this. Also, sorry for my ignorance but would this hot tub not be able to be used year round, even if the entire pool is not used? In regards to the tree, I moved it to the back of the property this weekend. It's not a good time of year to move it so we are keeping our fingers crossed that it lives. I'm not sure why I planted it that close to the house in the first place...

Love the design of the spillway facing the house, beautiful! It's smart to give the wife what she wants! Haha :)

New video is in. The design is good but the layout is a little off and it doesn't include the hot tub and future outdoor kitchen/pavilion area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuagUHXowuA

Minor changes needing to be made:

1) Scoot the pool to the left where the concrete comes off the other side of the fireplace so we can see the Waterfall from the living room window on the right side (looking out from the living room).
2) Add small swim-out in the deep end on the side nearest the house.
3) If it’s not necessary to have the pool that far from the house I would rather use that extra concrete off to the right side for the Hot Tub pad and pavilion pad.
4) Add a narrow ribbon around the bottom of the pool so the kids can walk around the pool without getting in the grass.

Finally feel that we are dead set on a design. Hope the other phases are less taxing.

Was wondering the same thing about being slippery. This was my original idea to incorporate the waterfall and the diving rock but it was hard to find and I got nervous about or being slippery. I imagine there is something they can add to aid in the surface so it isn't as slippery?

It's an absolutely beautiful design, I love how you have so many vantage points from your house of the pool, and he proposed location for the hot tub makes sense. Love the rock look to it also, going to log that in my next years project file, my husband really wants a hot tub as well . Sorry for the double post I posted too quickly the first time before finishing the thread.

Excited to see this pool being built. You have a wonderful imagination.

These rock waterfalls have to be run daily to make sure the pockets of water in them don't stagnate.
That means you are giving them a chlorine rinse every day.
So even if it is not your typical rough bushrock, it should not get slimy like a natural waterfall.

Running all your features once a day just seems like a good idea to move the water in your pipes to & from the pool, preventing it stagnating, getting FC depleted and going green.
The guy doing my handover had an anecdote of someone who had swimjets like mine, that did not cycle them regularly. When he did turn them on he got a blast of green.
Even if the story is BS, it does seem to have a thread of sense.

https://youtu.be/XFL4YAJ1MC8

This is pretty much the final version. The pool still needs to be pushed to the left (facing the house) so that the waterfall is directly in front of the other living room window which will provide us with a good view of the shallow end from the kitchen and dining room but everything else looks pretty good. I am planning on building my own fire feature between the Hot Tub and the Table but I feel this is a pretty good representation. Any last minute thoughts or suggestions? We might start building this thing if it ever stops raining...

That is such an awesome video! And Jumping Guy finally made it into the water. I'm so glad!

You guys have done great work with all your planning and designing. I've enjoyed watching it change and shift from your first post. Ya'll helped me with some of my planning by sharing yours. Thanks!

It's hard to tell in these design renderings, so this may not be necessary. Be sure to check that there is enough space for an adult to walk comfortably when coming up the back steps from the lower deck to the little space at the corner there by the rock waterfall. Or if there are 2 people, is there a place for the second person to step aside to let one go ahead or to step aside if others are coming up the steps while others want to go down. I hope that makes sense. And maybe that wouldn't happen often.

The only other thing is personal preference. I would want for the people sitting at the bar to be able to also see the pool. It's going to be so beautiful that they are always going to want to turn completely around to look at the pool and to see what's going on in the pool. Would it be possible for the bar to come out perpendicular from the house - where the grill is? And the grill to be parallel to the house where the bar now is. The people at the bar could then have just a little angle to look to their left and see the pool. Plus you're moving it down anyway towards the other end of the house making their side view even easier. The person grilling will also have a better view of the pool and can visit with the people at the bar without too much trouble. The only group sort of left out in this option would be those in the hot tub. But I don't know how often you have people in the hot tub and people grilling, drinking at the bar, and swimming all at the same time.

Ok, I'm done. It looks wonderful!!!! How exciting! Good to hear back from you! Have a great weekend! Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.