New Pool day 23- Add CYA?

SuperJ

Nov 7, 2017
Doylestown, PA
We are on day 23 of new Pool; trying to follow TFP process. My main question is: should we add some CYA or wait for it to rise through use of the trichlor pucks? Test results from TF100 kit today:

FC- 1.5
CC- 0.5
CH- 450
TA- 90
PH- 8.2 (now at 7.5 due to addition of MA)
CYA- <20

thanks for your guidance

I'd raise it. A CYA of at least 30. This way you know you have a solid reading and the FC is receiving some protection from the sun. You can always adjust more later if needed or use the tabs to increase slowly to 40 if you need to. Also make sure to increase the FC right away as it's too low at the moment. I'd get it up to about 3-5 with regular bleach.

Yes, use the sock-in-the-skimmer method for adding CYA. You can buy Puritech CYA via Amazon (it's Prime if you have a membership) or you may, for this round, want to get it faster from a local store. Puritech is 100% CYA whereas I've seen some store products are not.

Thanks. I’ll definitely be buying from amazon. The pool store only had liquid stabilizer. Can we use that for this one time?

also- the only liquid bleach we could find was the grocery store brand at 5.25%. It’s household bleach. Is that ok to use??

Thanks. I’ll definitely be buying from amazon. The pool store only had liquid stabilizer. Can we use that for this one time?

also- the only liquid bleach we could find was the grocery store brand at 5.25%. It’s household bleach. Is that ok to use??

Sure, liquid stabilizer works. It costs more though. I've never used it to verify the following but I've read there can be issues with the product settling out, from the liquid, and to the bottom of the container so shake it well before use and check to make sure it's all out of the container in the end.

The grocer's household bleach, whatever the percentage, is fine. If you haven't already you'll need to plug numbers in to PoolMath. Be sure to provide all necessary info; once entered the tool will provide how much of x% bleach to add. Just make sure the product is plain Jane - no scent or spill proof or whatever.

Also, for your reference [FC/CYA]https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock[/FC/CYA].

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.