New Pool Construction - Bonding concern

Nov 4, 2020
Texas
Hello all! First time poster, recent lurker. I appreciate all of the topics and responses from this website. Pool ownership is definitely intimidating and this site has been very helpful in answering my questions.
I am faced with a question about bonding that hopefully someone can help me with.

We recently completed construction of a new inground Fiberglass pool, 35' x 15.5', 14,708 gallons. When they were pouring the surrounding concrete, they had gotten 3/4th of the way around when I had noticed that there was a copper wire that was left hanging into the pool. Later did I find out that this was the bonding wire. They wound up digging out the wet concrete and tying in the bonding wire to the rebar. The other end of the bonding wire appears properly connected to the heater, pump, and there is a connection to the water via a plug in the return line.

I'm worried about the connection to the rebar. I'm assuming that 4 connections were made, but I'm not entirely sure as I'm learning about bonding and equipotential after the fact. I'm also pretty sure they did not use any bonding clamps, rather just tied into the rebar like a twist tie.
My questions:
1. Is there any way to test the bonding wire to see if equipotential is reached?
2. We are planning to place travertine pavers on top of the existing concrete surround - should there be a bonding grid in between the concrete and the pavers? In case the concrete bonding connection was not good, would adding a bonding grid between the paver and concrete serve as a "backup" for equipotential?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP :)

Video 1, 2, and 3 shows everything you will ever need to know.. Video 3 shows you how to test..

The interesting part that I am not sure about.. how the bonding will transfer from the deck/concrete through the sand and through the concrete paver...

You can do a resistance test on the bond wire at multiple points. You need a multi meter and a long run of wire to go back to your sub panel. An electrician can do this for you easily.

By code your pavers don’t need a bonding grid - if your concrete patio has rebar or mesh it will need to be bonded if within 5” of the pool water, which I assume it is. Only metal needs to be bonded. If you want you can add additional bonding beyond code. Some people add a second loop or use bonding grid mats. There is often some confusion as there was a short period of time where code called for an extra bonding grid under non conductive pool decks, but that was quickly revised.

You can not add an additional bonding wire between your travertine and concrete because it has to be buried 4-6” deep and. 18-24” away from pool.

I’m not sure but that is the code here in NJ. 4-6” deep, 18-24” away from water. I recently bonded my pool and passed inspection.

yeah i did the same in NY and there was no such requirement - i mean the bonding wire has to connect to the pool walls and the light niche (if it has a lug) and those are well within 18-24" from the pool.

Reactions: Aquaman7
Thanks for all the responses so far!
To follow up, if I added a second bonding loop, would I add it around the perimeter of the existing concrete (as shown in the attached picture)?
But then again, I always thought concrete was conductive, so wouldn't it make more sense to add ontop of existing concrete?
Everything from the existing patio to the pool coping will be covered in travertine.
I was planning on going with a copper grid.

Attachments

• extrabonding.jpg
    extrabonding.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 37
by code you don't need to do anything - if you want to add more as long as it ties into the existing bonding system using approved direct burial connections you are fine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: I spoke with the representative that makes the copper bonding grid (3" Wide X 100' Long Copper Equipotnetial Bonding Grid W/ KIT) and they actually stated in recent testing, the copper bonding closer to the surface will better protection.
As such, I wound up laying the bonding grid ontop of the existing concrete surround and laying the travertine pavers ontop of that. The remaining wire will be connected back to the existing bonding system that I have connected to the pool equipment and water pipe. I think at this point I feel comfortable in mitigating any stray voltage and keeping everything safe.
Attached are some pictures

Attachments

• 20210629_184947.jpg
    20210629_184947.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210702_185928.jpg
    20210702_185928.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: kul
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.