new pool - calcium hardness ?'s

hudsondds

Gold Supporter
Feb 15, 2020
Louisiana
My pool is in the process of being finished. The pool builder is supposed to maintain it for the first two months, but they have done little to nothing (company is from a town an hour away). The only chemicals they left are muriatic acid and re-fresh (calcium hypochlorite). I've been adding some re-fresh and muriatic acid daily (plaster curing is increasing pH and every morning I test chlorine it says zero). I tested the Calcium hardness today. Not sure about how accurate I was but I got over 1000 ppm (R-0012 drops come out really fast right?). If I keep adding calcium hypchlorite for the chlorine this will just continue to increase right? Should I start adding bleach instead? Plaster was done 3 weeks ago so should be able to add salt for SWCG in a week or so.
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Each pound of cal-hypo will raise your CH level by 4-6 ppm, depending on the percentage. Since calcium does not leave the pool with evaporation, fill water will also increase the CH level. You can test your fill water for CH to determine the hardness of your water.

Your TF-100 will be accurate assuming you did the test correctly. Did you use a 10 ml sample?

Use liquid chlorine until you get your SWG up and running. If you're CH is really 1000 ppm, you may need to exchange some water to avoid scaling.

So the issue is I didn't do the test correctly. Opened up my speed stir and did it with that. Fill water is ~400. Tested the pool water a couple more times got 675 the first time and 450 the next (I think this last one is probably the most accurate).
I needed to be more careful with the drops with last chemical you put in to change from red back to blue. They can come out really fast and I was basically guestimating the first few times I did the test.

That sounds more reasonable. The SpeedstIr really helps with the CH test. Make sure you hold the dropper perfectly vertical and allow the drops to fall off the tip as opposed to squeezing them out. Regardless, I would avoid the Cal hypo and stick with liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.