New pool- builder recommends higher alkalinity?

SchubeyDew

Jan 24, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello, I’ve been using the TFP method for the last year for my pool (new build) and it has worked great for me! My neighbor just finished his pool build and while I was showing him the k2600 test kit and how to use it, he showed me his documents from the pool builder. They recommended keeping the alkalinity at 100 for the first year. I’ve kept mine at 70 and have no issues. Can anyone think of a reason why a higher level would be recommended?
They also suggested not adding calcium for the first three months, which kind of makes sense as I know that initially a lot of brushing is required to make to make the finish move even/uniform and the calcium can heat up and blend into the surface if not mixed fast enough.
The pool builder uses a “Custom blend” for their pebble finish, so it’s not a name brand. Thoughts?

Can anyone think of a reason why a higher level would be recommended?
Standard boilerplate chemical recommendations. Primarily based on using Trichlor for chlorinating. Trichlor is very acidic, so it consumes TA. You must add baking soda to counteract that. Keep the TA higher is best as the pH will stay low when using Trichlor.

Standard boilerplate chemical recommendations. Primarily based on using Trichlor for chlorinating. Trichlor is very acidic, so it consumes TA. You must add baking soda to counteract that. Keep the TA higher is best as the pH will stay low when using Trichlor.
Okay, so if he has a salt system, then the standard TFP recommendations should be fine as he won’t be using the tricolor tablets after the first month?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.