New Pool build

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
I feel confident, but just want to confirm:

New pool was installed yesterday and it just finished filling up. My TF-100 kit is not here yet. I did however buy my CYA granules today as well as some bleach.

I should dose to the recommended CYA in a sock into the skimmer correct (50)? I didn't have a skimmer in my previous pool. Will any type of thin sock do?

Should I also add bleach as well since I am unable to test? The water was delivered yesterday and partially filled up my pool and the remaining was filled with city water (hose)

Just want to make sure I dont add in more bleach than needed....its been a while since I have had so much fresh water!

Yes, you'll add stabilizer via the sock method. I use a tube sock, but any white sock should do. You can place it in the skimmer or hang near a return jet. Don't let it rest against the side wall. Once it has soaked for about 15-20 minutes, you should be able to start squeezing the dissolved stabilizer out of the sock. As for the CYA goal, with a salt generator we recommend a minimum of 70, but if it's still cool there, a CYA of 50 may suffice. But the salt needs 24 hrs to dissolve before using the SWG, so regular bleach will work. On day one, add about 3 ppm of bleach to the water. After that, balance according to the FC/CYA Levels. In a day or so you can start the SWG and monitor FC production to keep FC balanced. Don't forget to balance the pH as well, somewhere in the mid to upper 7 range. Hope that helps.

Yes, you'll add stabilizer via the sock method. I use a tube sock, but any white sock should do. You can place it in the skimmer or hang near a return jet. Don't let it rest against the side wall. Once it has soaked for about 15-20 minutes, you should be able to start squeezing the dissolved stabilizer out of the sock. As for the CYA goal, with a salt generator we recommend a minimum of 70, but if it's still cool there, a CYA of 50 may suffice. But the salt needs 24 hrs to dissolve before using the SWG, so regular bleach will work. On day one, add about 3 ppm of bleach to the water. After that, balance according to the FC/CYA Levels. In a day or so you can start the SWG and monitor FC production to keep FC balanced. Don't forget to balance the pH as well, somewhere in the mid to upper 7 range. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply! No SWG on this new install, just a filter pump. I just dose the bleach according to the CYA that is currently in the sock until I get my test kit?

Guess I'm just worried my kit may get delayed due the the current delays of mail delivery and I dont know how much bleach I should add daily since I cant test.

I just dose the bleach according to the CYA that is currently in the sock until I get my test kit?
On this first day of fill, you can use the PoolMath APP to determine how much bleach is about 3 ppm. This time of year, you may use about 1.5-2 ppm of FC in 24 hrs unless it's exceptionally warm there. So for now, I think it's safe to add about 2 ppm worth of bleach once each day until the kit arrives.

Reactions: Anjayla0021
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.