New Pool Build - Trouble Struck! Please help 2.1.14

Re: New Pool Build - Pearland Tx

e6aqy4y8.jpg
6erejazu.jpg
ure6evut.jpg

We are making progress!

For the travertine, where there are pits from the natural stone, the builder is asking us if we want that filled in with the grout when they grout. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are making progress!

For the travertine, where there are pits from the natural stone, the builder is asking us if we want that filled in with the grout when they grout. Thoughts?

I would definitely not grout the holes. It's a natural stone and you want to let it breath. Plus it looks awesome natural!

I see what you mean about the edges of the tile. For us, we chose tumbled so there is no worries about sharp edges. Only potential issue I see is people leaning back onto the tile in the hot tub. If it really bothers you maybe they could have put a bull nose finish on those around the hot tub.

I think it looks good the way it is.

Looks awesome! For our travertine, We filled in the pits with the grout... It was a little rough on the feet before they did it. I'll get you some close-up pics later. :)

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think filling the holes can help extend the longevity of the stone if you get any freeze/thaw cycles or any potentially eroding running water (like a water feature). The pits are areas of weakness in the stone that will be eroded more quickly than the smooth surface. If water freezes in the pits it could crumble the surface. I'm not sure where you are in TX and if you get freezes or not, though.

We do not have outdoor travertine, but have had the tiles indoors in several applications, including a commercial bathroom, so YMMV.

We are filling ours in either. Travertine has been used for thousands of years and is very durable. My wife and I were in Italy last year and there old travertine does not have the holes filled. its really a personal choice.

We ended up having them fill it in. I really liked the pics RM sent me. We had a couple of rough pavers and since we are doing salt, this should help keep the lifespan of the travertine I suppose?

This week we had them redo some of the electrical and they finished tile and coping. On Monday they are going to replace a few ugly stones. Our decking was supposed to start this week but got delayed due to them redoing some electrical. Decking should begin late this week so we are told.

We have been reading more about the MX8 and I am nervous it will eat our Pebblesheen. We are likely swapping to a Polaris 280. Builder says this change will be about 400 to plumb/ add the necessary pump. I hope this is the right decision.

I updated the pics on Flickr. Here are a few from this week ;)
ty2uruqe.jpg
aruhyva2.jpg
nemesanu.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were supposed to have been completed on 2/24, but we are looking around the end of the first week in March. Just about a one week extension. Not terrible! Thanks for the love on the color choices. Our decking begins this Thursday. (Same travertine as the coping). Getting a little pressure from the builder to add sq feet on the decking now but we have hit the max on our spending on out of budget stuff. I think that we will just have to add later I don't know if anyone else has ever gotten to the point of where you are just tired of the builder in your lives.

We are upgrading from the MX8 suction filter to the Polaris 280, black. I think it will look slick on our dark pebble sheen bottom while alleviating a lot of the concerns that the MX8 will not live up to it's supposed cleaning ability. Our friends (3 sets of pools) have been harping on me all week. (A good harping! LOL)

I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am, yet it continues. Had he same sort of issue with a bathroom remodel in Houston a couple of years ago. I told the guy he needed to get it done because if he spent one more day at my house I was going to claim him as a dependent!

"I told the guy he needed to get it done because if he spent one more day at my house I was going to claim him as a dependent!" LOL!!!!!

I totally skipped over a question asked earlier. They arbitrarily ran conduit down the entire side of our house. Was not one bit attractive. Now they have to contact the builder to get matching grout to fill in their drill holes. Could be worse, right?

The colors look nice. I; like you, prefer the colors for tile/coping/walls to be similar in shade. I think it just makes things look cleaner.

As for the process...I'm still OK at this point. Since we have the cover, there is always something going on so I feel like progress is continually being made.

It does stink that mine won't be ready for another 1.5 months.

Looks great! Where did you source your travertine from? I'm looking at the same type of coping and wall tile...I may just copy what you have as it is stunning.

Keep us posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.