New Pool Build - Testing for the first time

DSMinAtlanta

Silver Supporter
Jun 27, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Hello,

We just had our new pool built. See my signature for details of the build and our equipment. Here are some additional details about the timeline on where we are now:

- PebbleSheen was completed on April 11th, acid wash was performed the following day and the pool was filled with water
- The PB did twice a week visits to maintain the water up until this week
- Salt was added on May 14th for the first time and the SWG was powered on
- Our pump has been running 24/7 for several weeks now at a rate of 1800 RPM (45 GPM)

I purchased a TF-Pro Salt kit and we did our first test today. Here are our results:
  • FC = 15 (when adding the drops I feel like some of them were more air than liquid so I should probably test again)
  • No CC observed
  • CH = 400
  • TA = 120
  • CYA = 50? (this was difficult to determine with that test tube)
  • pH = appears to be on the high side given the test below
The water itself looks very clear and there aren't any visible issues. We jumped in for the first time last night and it was surreal considering how complicated this build process has been (I'll create a separate thread detailing the build later).

What is the correct routine for a brand new pool build like ours? I thought that the PB would walk us through some of the maintenance items during 'pool school' but they only gave us a brief overview of the equipment and that's it. I want to start off on the right foot here and I know the builder isn't going to help. They told us all of their customers just pay someone to maintain the pool (which is probably mostly true).

Thank you!

water_test_21May2024.jpg

FC = 15 (when adding the drops I feel like some of them were more air than liquid so I should probably test again)
The block FC test goes orange around 10 FC and then gets darker like the yellow scale from 0 to 5.

Yours looks darker orange so 15 isn't a bad guess. But conform with another powder test. And skip the FC block test altogether. As you see, it doesn't tell you much.
No CC observed
Sweet
Sweet again

Manage the PH and adjust anytime it becomes an 8+. The TA will fall on its own.
CYA = 50? (this was difficult to determine with that test tube)
200w (7).gif

pH = appears to be on the high side given the test below
Ph is invalid at 10+ FC. Let the FC drift down and test Ph under 10 FC.

Reactions: DSMinAtlanta
The pH test is invalid when the FC is over 10.

Determine the minimum speed the pump will run at and still satisfy the SWG flow switch. Once you determine that speed, add about 200 RPM to it (allows for filter getting dirty). That RPM (minimum plus 200) is the minimum speed you need to run the pump at to produce chlorine. If the pool isn't skimming adequately at that speed, increase RPM until skimming is adequate.

If you have a suction side cleaner, you will need to run at a higher RPM during times you want the cleaner to clean the pool - maybe 2-4 hours daily to start.

I'm guessing you have read
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
And have downloaded and use
PoolMath

Link your PoolMath logs to your forum user account. That way you can enter the results in PoolMath and we can see them here.

The block FC test goes orange around 10 FC and then gets darker like the yellow scale from 0 to 5.

Yours looks darker orange so 15 isn't a bad guess. But conform with another powder test. And skip the FC block test altogether. As you see, it doesn't tell you much.

Sweet

Sweet again

Manage the PH and adjust anytime it becomes an 8+. The TA will fall on its own.

View attachment 575245

Ph is invalid at 10+ FC. Let the FC drift down and test Ph under 10 FC.
Thank you for the prompt reply! Is there anything alarming that we need to worry about right now? I guess we thought the Pentair SWG and IntelliCenter would provide some sort of monitoring of the salt/chlorine levels. Is this not the case? We are first time pool owners so we are a little nervous given how much was invested in this project.

The pH test is invalid when the FC is over 10.

Determine the minimum speed the pump will run at and still satisfy the SWG flow switch. Once you determine that speed, add about 200 RPM to it (allows for filter getting dirty). That RPM (minimum plus 200) is the minimum speed you need to run the pump at to produce chlorine. If the pool isn't skimming adequately at that speed, increase RPM until skimming is adequate.

If you have a suction side cleaner, you will need to run at a higher RPM during times you want the cleaner to clean the pool - maybe 2-4 hours daily to start.

I'm guessing you have read
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
And have downloaded and use
PoolMath

Link your PoolMath logs to your forum user account. That way you can enter the results in PoolMath and we can see them here.
Ah that's a good point. The only advice the PB gave us during 'pool school' is to run the pump at a minimum of 1,600 RPM without heat, and 2,000 RPM with heat. I have no idea where he got those numbers but I'll research what that minimum is based on our SWG. This same person also told us that our pump was "self-priming and you don't need to add water after cleaning out the basket" so I cleaned the basket today, put the lid back on, and the pump wouldn't start due to a low water warning. We grabbed the manual to the pump and saw that there are other steps involved to getting the pump back up and running like adding water, getting air out of the lines via the filter, etc. so we followed that and it I got it back up and running. I don't have a lot of trust in the PB equipment installer right now.

we thought the Pentair SWG and IntelliCenter would provide some sort of monitoring of the salt/chlorine levels.
They will do whatever you tell them to do. They do nothing on their own. Don't worry though, we got you. :)

For now, turn the cell to 0% and watch the FC fall. When it's under 10, report back with FC and PH.

Everything is great for now with zero chance of a swamp. When you have 'enough chlorine' (notice I DID NOT say high or too high) we have all the time in the world to fiddle with the rest of them. They are all long term concerns.

Ah that's a good point. The only advice the PB gave us during 'pool school' is to run the pump at a minimum of 1,600 RPM without heat, and 2,000 RPM with heat. I have no idea where he got those numbers but I'll research what that minimum is based on our SWG. This same person also told us that our pump was "self-priming and you don't need to add water after cleaning out the basket" so I cleaned the basket today, put the lid back on, and the pump wouldn't start due to a low water warning. We grabbed the manual to the pump and saw that there are other steps involved to getting the pump back up and running like adding water, getting air out of the lines via the filter, etc. so we followed that and it I got it back up and running. I don't have a lot of trust in the PB equipment installer right now.
Yeah - determine the minimum RPM plus 200 to satisfy the SWG - hopefully will be less than 1600 RPM that the PB mentioned. And a lower RPM will use less electricity as well.

Add your pool cleaner to your signature
From your other thread, it look like you have a booster pump, so a pressure side cleaner.
Check to see what the minimum flow rate for the pool pump is to allow the booster pump to also run. That RPM would be your cleaning RPM for the main pool pump (unless it's lower than the SWG RPM).

The main pool pump speeds, schedules and run times are all programmed thru the Intellicenter.
Check to be sure your SWG is wired thru the Intellicenter pump relay. This will prevent the SWG from running whenever the pool pump is off - and it's important that the SWG is NOT powered if the main pump is off.

I like to run my pump and SWG 24/7 - 20 hours at 1200RPM and 4 hours at 2900RPM (for my IFCS to work cleaning the pool).
Running both the pool pump and the SWG costs me less than $20/month (my electric rates are pretty low).

Yeah - determine the minimum RPM plus 200 to satisfy the SWG - hopefully will be less than 1600 RPM that the PB mentioned. And a lower RPM will use less electricity as well.

Add your pool cleaner to your signature
From your other thread, it look like you have a booster pump, so a pressure side cleaner.
Check to see what the minimum flow rate for the pool pump is to allow the booster pump to also run. That RPM would be your cleaning RPM for the main pool pump (unless it's lower than the SWG RPM).

The main pool pump speeds, schedules and run times are all programmed thru the Intellicenter.
Check to be sure your SWG is wired thru the Intellicenter pump relay. This will prevent the SWG from running whenever the pool pump is off - and it's important that the SWG is NOT powered if the main pump is off.

I like to run my pump and SWG 24/7 - 20 hours at 1200RPM and 4 hours at 2900RPM (for my IFCS to work cleaning the pool).
Running both the pool pump and the SWG costs me less than $20/month (my electric rates are pretty low).
Signature updated! I almost forgot about the cleaner. That's also on the list of things needing to tweak to get it working just right but that's something I'll tackle this weekend. In the IntelliCenter config here are the current pump settings:
  • Pool alone (no feature or heater) - 1800 RPM
  • Water feature - 2200 RPM
  • Heater - 2000 RPM
I'll have to research the minimum flow rate to support the booster pump. I know that when I turn off the 'Pool' circuit via the IntelliCenter control, the SWG powers off as does the pool pump. Today when I tried to power everything back on after cleaning the pump basket and the pump went into an error state, I saw that the SWG was flashing red due to no water flow. I assume that's working as designed? When they first connected the equipment (pool pump only), they had it running at something like 65 GPM (not sure about RPMs) and it was consuming nearly 1000 watts of power so I connected to the pump via the Pentair Home app and slowed it down. I have no idea why they left it that way initially. Thank you again!

Reactions: newdude
Heater at 2000 RPM is unlikely to be sufficient. Your MasterTemp 400 needs a minimum of 40 GPM and really should get close to 50 GPM.

Turn on your heater and look at the pump status for the GPM you are getting. If not at least 48 GPM increase the heater pump speed setting until you get the needed flow.

Your cleaner does not have a minimum flow for the main pump. Your booster pump will do its job as long as the main pump is running.

OTOH, you fill find your skimmers work most effectively at higher pump speed and flow. So you may want to run your main pump at a speed that your skimmers work well while cleaning so you are cleaning the surfaces and skimming the water during that cycle to have a nice clean pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support