New pool build (soon!) in San Fernando Valley

Okay, we are long overdue for an update. Sorry about that - after the concrete they started working on other parts of our project but we now have coping! We're doing a light-colored stone on our BBQ island and the wall behind the pool with spill bowls - they're cinder block now but we should start seeing stone tomorrow, I think - so we wanted a bit of contrast and chose a dark grey concrete for the coping and the BBQ island countertop. Next steps as I understand it will involve the stone surfaces, then the waterline and step marker tiles. After that comes (in some order) the concrete decking, a fence repair, pool equipment, safety inspection, pebble (exact finish still to be decided), and water!! (Oh, and actually restoring some plantings and fruit trees to the yard! Cannot wait for that...it's great to see things coming together, and we're very happy with it, but I miss plant life!

They did add a fourth step and modify the step heights, and it seems to be much better, so thanks to all who spoke up on that question. One more question that just occurred to me: when does the in-pool light go in? It's a small pool, we're just having one. I would assume the plan is for it to go in around the time they're doing the tile or while the tile is curing. Just trying to wrap my head around the timeline.

Great to hear an update! There should be conduit there now for the light. The actual light itself for us didn’t go in until they cleaned the shell the day before plaster. They connected it but sat it on the coping. I can’t remember when it was siliconed in. Maybe the day of plaster.

What are your thoughts on pebble colour? We can help you decide [emoji16] Glad you got your steps sorted.

Thanks! There is one pipe coming into the pool that they've marked by tying a yellow string around it. Given that they've been pretty on top of things so far, that may be where the light is to come in. I want to ask the supervisor about that and about our spill bowls, and he's usually here on Mondays, so I should get answers tomorrow. We haven't seen stone yet but they've been working on framing out all of the areas that will be concrete, so it's far easier to visualize the final product now compared to when there was just an unframed hole in the ground.

As for pebble, we've been really torn on it. We definitely want something smaller than PebbleTec, so we've been mainly focusing on PebbleSheen and the StoneScapes mini pebble (possibly the Puerto Rico blend)? Seems like most people are pretty happy with the feel of the mini pebble. I think the PebbleSheen was what caught our eye during design, such that we have an upgrade to PebbleSheen written into the original contract (though color was not yet decided). We want something that is a medium blue water color, and if it has a bit of green to it that's okay though we don't want too much. I think I recall Tropics Blue and Blue Surf, I think from the StoneScapes line, being colors that we liked. We also saw a really spectacular pool on here where they used Finest Finish Radiant Fusion in Regal Blue (or something similar). We just haven't heard so much about that brand - but what we have heard is good. I know we'll get some guidance from PB, but we would definitely love input from anyone here who wants to chime in!

The radiant fusion sounds like it might be worth looking into further. We have mini pebble and I like the surface. It’s smooth underfoot but does give a little traction which I like. My boys play rough in the pool and we have only had one incident of ouch I hurt my foot. No blood just a little scrape. My youngest is constantly scraping his toes and feet at the public kiddie pool (should probably say was as I don’t think we will be going much come summer [emoji23]).

The pipe with the string will definitely be where your light will go but double check with pb.

Big day today, we got concrete and waterline tile! The wall behind the pool will have three stainless steel spill bowls mounted on it so I think that’s why they haven’t completed the stone yet. We still need step markers but they showed me where the light will be. I know we have a few weeks remaining before the tile can be submerged, but we are looking very much on track for completion before the end of summer! Sounds like the pool equipment has arrived and they are asking last minute questions about our shade structure. Pretty amazing to start seeing the final finishes in place!

They should be arriving in a week or so. Decided on a very light grey grout for our tile, and I think they're doing that today maybe? I anticipate that the barbecue grill will go in soon, and they'll probably get the shade structure up over the next several days. It's quite amazing how it seems like it was just a huge dirt patch for so long (though really just under 6 weeks) and suddenly it's almost finished! They've nearly finished with the stone covering on the wall, and washed a protective coating off of the concrete. And as an aside, I am definitely glad we had them revise the step height. The steps are diagonally oriented across a corner, such that the top step is not very large. It'll obviously be easier in water, but stepping down onto that step without water is a fairly awkward thing for me right now so I'm glad it isn't any steeper. Climbing up is not difficult, it's that first step down. I don't know if it's a balance thing or a depth perception thing, but my mother has a similar hesitation with escalators so I blame genetics. :rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was looking at the polymer ladders that apparently meet code without needing any bonding. I am hoping that once there's water in it I'll be comfortable making the step, and I'll just get used to it. Nice to know there's an option, though. I gave a little bit of thought to revising the stairs (again) to make them rectangular but given the size of the pool, I didn't want to cut into the space even more. Nobody else who has tried it has a problem, and I can use the stairs even now while the pool is dry, so I think it'll be fine in the long run.

We're in a bit of a holding pattern for pool stuff - I think our spill bowls might go in next week, along with the pool equipment and barbecue grill. We had carpenters out doing our shade structure the past couple of days. Still figuring out the pool fence, and it's a bit of a frustrating thing. We don't have kids, don't have people with kids over regularly (occasionally my 8 and 10 year old nieces who can both swim very well), and there aren't even that many kids in the neighborhood (in 5 years, we've not had a single trick-or-treater for Halloween). However, the safety code says we need a fence (and I assume alarms on our sliding doors to the back yard). We have a good perimeter fence, but PB says we need to separate the pool from the driveway gate. It doesn't look like we need to put anything immediately around the pool - PB says the fence along the driveway between our house and detached garage will be enough. I know some people do removable fences but I'm pretty much a rule follower and if code says it needs to be there, I assume it needs to be there. We were considering glass, but I think the installation would be difficult given that it's supposed to go in a narrow space between the driveway and the landscaped area. PB suggested wrought iron but it seems austere for the look we have elsewhere. We're leaning toward a picket-style wood fence with alternating wider and narrower vertical beams, painted to match the shade structure. We do have a privacy fence at the perimeter of the yard, this is just for direct pool access. Meeting with glass fence company tomorrow and hoping to decide by next week. After that, the next decision will be the pebble brand/color/bling!

Where does this gate/fence need to go? I agree that iron would not fit in the look you have going on that is oh so pretty!

plaster------I say get white plaster with shells mixed in! LOTS of shells! White plaster gives the water such a pretty blue look! The shells will add the BLING! Most colored plaster fades over time so you would not have to even think about that!

Kim:kim:

Looking good! So great to hear that you are required to have the pool properly fenced. Either of the options you mentioned - glass or picket- would work well. It doesn’t sound like a large area so go with what works and you like best. I agree on the white plaster / light pebble. I am a bit biased but love our interior. If I was doing plaster instead of pebble it would be plain white though I do also really like the French grey but do wonder how much it would fade over time.

Thanks, Kim and Liz - we are very happy with how it’s turning out so far! The fence would be at the edge of the yard - the detached garage is what you see next to the kitchen island, and the fence would go in a line along the edge of the driveway, up to the point where the driveway meets the back of the house. It’s about 23 feet long and basically would just separate the yard from the driveway (which we don’t use anyway). We just want something that won’t feel like walls closing in on us, and something that will complement the style. Pretty much decided on wood picket-style, though we had a convincing meeting with a glass fencing company...

Great points about the plaster fading. I have actually been looking at some white and lighter grey base colors and they do look very nice. Much to consider... (though bling is a must)

Great points about the plaster fading. I have actually been looking at some white and lighter grey base colors and they do look very nice. Much to consider... (though bling is a must)

A lady after my own heart!!! BLING :queen:

I wonder if you can buy and add glass beads to "regular" plaster? Something to ask your PB......I will ask him for you LOL

So, way back in mid-June, our spill bowls "should be here in a week or two," and it seems that they're still a week out. Not sure what's going on there, but we are told that it won't delay getting water in the pool so all is well. As for the project overall, still not completed, but the end is definitely in sight. We need to get a small repair done to our perimeter fence and add door chimes to the sliders from the house to backyard, but the safety fence to close off the driveway is done. They've also completed the landscaping, the BBQ island (just need to add the rotisserie to the gas grill), and made (another) revision to the steps. I suspect that this coming week will involve safety measures and inspection, and when we pass inspection, plaster and fill!

PB is leaning Quartzscapes, and it was definitely on our radar early in the process though our contract includes PebbleSheen. PB has made outstanding suggestions regarding concrete, grout, and fencing, so we are thinking the final decision on plaster won't be too difficult. There will be some level of bling...not sure what goes well in Quartzscapes, but was thinking some amount of both beads and shells. But landscaping team did the final walkthrough yesterday, and the crew doing all the concrete work signed off on their part today. I can't tell you how excited we are to have full driveway access again! We've been so impressed with the company we worked with...they took pains at every step to make sure we were happy with the result (and will be even happier when the plants and trees mature a bit).

Inspection is done! Hoping to finalize finish selection today and plaster tomorrow, but definitely no later than next week. We really like the PebbleSheen Blue Surf for color, but we prefer the look of the Quartzscapes (you can see the aggregate material, but it doesn’t completely cover the surface the way it does with PebbleSheen). Within Quartzscapes, we like the Aruba Sky and Grenadine Grey images, but we’re going to get our hands on some samples today and put them next to our tile. Very excited to get this completed, as we still have a solid two months of relatively hot weather ahead!

Edit: decision made! FinestFinish Radiant Fusion, in Blue Frost with some extra shells added. They are doing the plaster tomorrow so we are hoping to be able to use it during next week’s heat wave.

LOVE that color! Now go google the NPC start up card. I am having a problem linking to pdf files so can't do it for you. The back side is what you want. This is a good way to start up new plaster. They did leave out to wait 6 hours after putting the last of the plaster on before adding the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.