New pool build plumbing advice

JohnCumpston

Aug 6, 2021
Parkersburg wv
Hello, iv been reading the forums here for awhile and have learned alot already. I'm getting ready to start a pool build and will be doing it myself. No one in my area does concrete pools only vinyl liner. I plan on making it out of icf but I have a few questions about the plumbing. I'm doing a negative edge and was wondering instead of putting an actual main drain in, is there any reason I can't just use schedule 40 pipe and use that for the drains. Of course I would split it into 2 drains atleast 3ft apart. It's hard to even find the main drain piece right now and it seems easier to just leave pipes sticking up thru the concrere and cut them Level with the concrete later. I would just put a drain cover on the pipe to finish it and to keep leaves and stuff out.
Also can my pipes be to big? For my suction side of the negative edge I planned on using 2 seperate runs of 4 inch pipe "each splitting into 2 drains 3ft apart" everything I read says go bigger on the pipe and 4 inch isn't that much more expensive but I didn't know if I would have to have a really big pump with that big of pipe. Thank you in advance

Welcome to TFP :)

You have picked the hardest pool to build, I hope you are up for it... You will need to figure out how big to make the tank to keep the pumps from running out of water... 2.5 inch to 4 inch pipe is fine and they make fitting to go over the pipe so leaves stay out...

You will need an auto leveler and an overflow to keep the pool level as close as possible to the infinity edge... too much water and the tank overflows and not enough water and the pumps freeze up and die...

These type pools are beautiful when done correctly but they are a nightmare if they are done wrong... one guy in CA had one built by a company the said they could do it... they failed and had to rip the complete pool out and start over with another company... Not cheap when the pool was costing about 200 grand.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.