New Pool Build - Northern California

Re: New Pool (Hopefully starting soon) - Bay Area California

Quick question: Should we look at upgrading to a Variable Speed Pump over the 2 speed model?

I am torn on automation, but may switch to it...so if we don't have any automation the VS pump wouldn't be much use. Is that right?

In California the electric rates are usually high enough to justify a variable speed pump. The usual rule of thumb is if electricity costs $0.20/kwh or more you want a variable. Some of the newer smaller/less expensive variables can be worth it at even lower electric rates.

The larger variable speed pumps get the most advantage from an automation system, but they also include built-in timers so they can be used stand alone. The smaller/less expensive variables typically require an external time clock, vary their speed based on the time since they were turned on, and don't work well with automation systems. There seem to be some very new models that might have the best of both worlds, but we haven't gotten reports from anyone who actually owns one yet.

So if we go with automation it will be a $1200 upgrade - I think we can justify it based on the various savings we can get by being better with the solar heating components, ability to lower the chlorine generator when the cover is on, switching to a VS speed pump, and programming in some time of day settings to more closely match our various electricity rates.

Now onto another area that is a concern - I am trying to decide between poured concrete decking vs using large 24"x24" smooth concrete pavers for all of our pool surround and deck areas. My concern is that with us being in earthquake country - and having clay soils with some seasonal springs close by - that we might be off better having the decking able to move a bit without cracking, heaving etc...Anyone here have a preference? We will be pouring some walls and steps from concrete anyway, so it may be more cost effective to pour the decking all at the same time.

Im not sure if pavers or a pour really matters as long as a poured concrete has "control joints" cut into them. These control joints are there because concrete cracks. Some day, no matter what it will. Properly applied control joints purpose in life is to provide a place for the concrete to crack and not leave an ugly sprawling random crack acorss the surface. A "good" concrete contractor will install control joints. But a lot of them want to skip that, but dont let them.

I think if you choose a poured deck, that you need to specifically mention in the contract that control joints be installed.
note - I love my poured exposed aggragate deck, it's attractive, not slippery, and its not much more expensive than a broom finished one. If I recall, the upcharge was 7 dollars/ cubic yard.

After joints are installed, they should be filled with self leveling caulk so they dont fill up with dirt, sand and grow weeds out of them. Here is some info about them.
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/slabs/controljoints.htm
http://www.cement.org/for-concrete-...ntraction-control-joints-in-concrete-flatwork

this is what my exposed aggragate looks like and a control joint after caulking

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool Build - Bay Area California

Yes part of our decision to put in the pool was the lower water use. We figured we were using tons of water even with drought resistant grass in our back yard. I think at one point we were using an average of 15 units of water in the peak of summer - I saw we used upwards of 20 units in August of 2013. That is lots more than our 4-5 units that we used on average each month over the last year without watering the lawn.

Only 2 months of the extra watering our lawn required will easily fill our pool. We are thankful that we can put in a pool - we do need to figure out how to fill it.

And here we go!

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

City inspector came out and seemed confused about several things - after talking with the pool builder over the phone for 45 minutes he finally told us he wanted a soils engineer to approve everything before he would sign off.

He was asking about our therapy jets -"what are those for", "how are they plumbed" "why is the air line temporary and in the middle of your deck area" "why is the GFI on this side of the pool - normally it is on the equipment side" "your fence isn't done" "where is the rebar for the steps" - nothing about the plumbing...

Then he questioned the rebar spacing - "it isn't 6" - It is in the deep part of the pool as required and as listed on the engineering specs. He fumbled around for ever - I am not sure how many pools he has inspected. Of course with our drought not many lately. I hope he is not our inspector going forward.

He left saying he would check back with the Planning Department, but he thought we needed the soils engineering done and soils testing done. That was never a requirement when we were issued the permit - and the engineer who designed the pool referred to our original soils report for our overall lot. Later in the day the city called us and told us that if a structural engineer, or soils engineer, puts a letter in our permit pack saying the design is adequate then we can proceed to gunite...

An engineer is now scheduled to arrive today - and right now it is pouring rain - so we have that going for us!

Civil Engineer provided a letter stating the the rebar structure meets the engineering requirements - which is what we think the inspector requested.

Now we are told that isn't sufficient.

The inspector requested that an engineer include a letter stating: "That soil condition meet his requirements and no soils report is required."

The engineer stated that the structure and rebar are done according to required specification...

The inspector is now requesting a soils test and further engineering...WOW

-- Begin Rant:

The only way the city can now require a soils report is if it was stipulated in the permit that any grading work or excavation must be supervised and or approved by a geo technical soils engineer. The inspector is creating a moving target after the fact which should not be allowed.

The fact that the inspector was asking about things like where the GFI was located, why the fences are not done, where are the stairs "I don't see them on the plan", where are the jets, and even crazier questions like how deep is the pool - all goes against him and the notion that he is doing an actual inspection, or can even read a plan - he is not the project manager or someone who can change the design.

Sounds like it is time for a phone call to his boss. We had a couple of issues with an inspector looking for things that were not required and that solved the problem for us.

Such a cool house! It looks like a picture of modern art. Your pool is going to look great on your property - an opportunity for a variety of levels.

I know your thread is currently centered on costs and mechanics (which I can't address), but I wanted to go back earlier in the thread regarding materials. I think your plan to continue or repeat existing materials is perfect. You have such a distinctive house - you definitely want to tie in the pool and pool area.

The glass blocks./bricks caught my eye in the house photo with the tree that has those gorgeous crimson leaves. I would try to incorporate the glass blocks some where in the pool area. I saw one possibility : a single row of the glass blocks on top of the wall behind the lounge chairs (shown in the computer rendering. And... wait for it... Light the glass blocks from behind or within.

If you like the idea, then you're welcome. If you don't like the idea, then: seriously, I was just kidding....

I'm getting the Polaris 280, but after reading the posts on here, I wish I were getting the M5. Saving monthly bucks is so important to me.

I'm excited to hear everything you decide! Keep us posted. Any different designs from other PB's? Take care! Suz.

Here is a photo from one of the builders we are looking at using that is similar to what we would like:

IMG_2193-95-800-600-80.jpg

Also we are thinking of using the same stacked stone that we have on the front of our home for the raised concrete walls - along with some of our smooth stucco, and/or smooth finished colored concrete.

Stone on our entry:
house-front.jpg

Our patios are done with a salt finish, and we would like to replicate that.

house-courtyard.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.