New pool build - North Carolina 2020

Here are some of my concerns in picture form and comments below. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - Are roots in the area the concrete will go an issue?
2 - The stairs aren't formed with rebar? Is this an issue?
3 - There are some locations where the rebar is closer than 3" to the dirt.
4 - And a couple places where it (rebar) sticks up above the grid. Issue?

There was also a lot of rebar scrap in the grave, should I pick it up?

PM coming over in 20 minutes and hopefully I will get some good feedback from him.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
For many people, roots are there now, or will be in the future. No problem.
No rebar needed in the steps. No problem.
Rebar closer than 3" to dirt. Pull the rebar up on that chair. But realistically, if they are all up but a few, no issue.
Gunite should be thick enough to cover it, but rebar extending close to edge of gunite (or exposed) can be an issue resulting in future rust spots.

Thanks!!!! That makes me feel better.

They are here measuring my pool right now. Sounds like they have a 2" elevation difference from the initial plan. Where the coping goes is going to be higher than it should be. I don't have much distance from my deck steps to the tanning ledge...maybe 6' to the closet point of the pool. I don't think they are happy...and I'm not sure how to respond when they start talking to me about the issue. Obviously I think they should eat the cost to fix, but the fix is what I don't know what they are going to be able to do, and I want to make sure is handled properly. I have a sidewalk that is about 4' from the flagstone decking at the closest part. That is where elevation is off from.

This is a crazy project for sure.

Every project is. It's always something.

There aren't a lot of options here. I see them as:

1) Fix the issue. A pain for the PB with a lasting issue for you and some unknowns. They would have to lower the bond beam all around. In doing this they may come too close to rebar which then gets to be a major pain. Then also lowering the skimmers - a pain. This decreases the depth of your pool by 2" and changes the height of all steps and ledges while hopefully not creating any other unforeseen issues.
2) Slope the deck more on that side. Not a big issue really for 2" over 6'. Not ideal but I have areas of my deck with >= that slope. And my whole backyard patio and basketball court is at least that.

We'll see what others have to say. @jimmythegreek Any thoughts on her elevation issue?

They were already sloping it away from the pool so now more like 3-3.5" over 6'. I'm also having an issue with flagstone color so it sounds like they are trying to get me to do travertine instead which would be narrower in height. But I liked the thicker coping. So far the PM and sales guy have been nice today and helpful, but this seems like an issue I need to think on.

Last edited:
Since it looks like you don't have deck steps right now (or at least not most of them), can you vary the step height from what it was to reach a different deck level? In my jurisdiction, steps can't be higher than 7 3/4" but there is no minimum. And the variance between steps cannot be more than 3/8".

That is definitely an option too, but then it would be higher than our sidewalk that is connected to the house. I'm sure it was an easy mistake on the side of the contractors, but it creates a headache to fix. I don't want to adjust the pool, I want to figure out how to make it work to the stairs and concrete, and I think we are going to just have to deal with a slope and maybe tweaking the stairs an inch as well. This may push me into travertine but I want to sleep on it. Make sure I can live with the compromise. :cool:

Reactions: bmoreswim
Sounds like our elevation is 3" off of what it is supposed to be. Which means our slope would likely be 1/2" or more per foot where 1/4" is normal for a pool. 1/8" is minimum. I haven't gotten an exact measurement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, but they flashed the rebar due to a storm coming. We're going to have to find another solution at this point that doesn't include that huge slope. They are still thinking I believe as we haven't been given any options yet. :cool:

I agree, but they flashed the rebar due to a storm coming. We're going to have to find another solution at this point that doesn't include that huge slope. They are still thinking I believe as we haven't been given any options yet. :cool:
Could you post some pics of the problem spot? It sounds like they were already sloping the deck towards the house then the coping ended up 3 in high is that correct? not sure why they would have been sloping towards the house in the first place, however if at all possible raising all the elevations at the house would seem to be the best fix for this even if it means adjusting the other walk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.