New Pool Build - Lewisville TX * HELP gunite cracks

Otis Campbell

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 5, 2013
Lewisville, TX
We have started the process of designing a pool and selecting a builder. We’ve interviewed four builders and received designs from three. Virtually certain we’ve picked a design and a builder but we haven’t signed a contract yet. Here are the highlights of the pool:

In ground, gunite, 34,000 gallons, 760 sq ft, 3.5-8.5 feet, modified L shape with diving area and play/volleyball area, all Pentair equipment – Intelliflow variable speed pump, Easy Touch 4 Controller, Intellichlor salt chlorine generator, Legend pool sweep, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 6 pool returns, quartz interior, 45 sq ft spa with 18’ wall above pool deck plus fountain and spillway. Oklahoma flagstone coping and 790 sq ft of handseeded aggregate. The pool will be supported by 22 cement piers as we have unstable soil in our area of North Texas. The bid is right around $68,000.

This particular pool builder has done a large number of pools in our development and has a good reputation, especially for engineering pools in our unstable soil. They have built, or are in the process of building, pools for several of our friends so the comfort level is pretty high.

I’ve attached two of the renderings. First of all, I’d be interested in input or suggested questions for the pool builder. We are considering a couple of changes to get the price down. The first is to trade down from quartz to plaster. The second is to take the spa down to the level of the pool deck. Also, the pool builder is suggesting that we add an ozonater. Their reasoning is that with this size pool we could use the help in keeping the chlorine levels right and this would reduce pool maintenance.
I appreciate any and all input.

Attachments

• Joy_001.jpg
    Joy_001.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 1,362
  • Joy_006.jpg
    Joy_006.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 1,360
Re: New Pool Construction - Lewisville TX (Dallas area)

I don't see the attachments but I am using tapatalk for iOS. In other forums I see them.

Anthony,

We are going with Oklahoma flagstone coping. We really like salt a lot. We have several friends with salt pools and we like the feel of the water and the lack of skin and eye irritation. All of our kids are on a summer swim team so they get enough chlorine there.

I know there is a debate about Oklahoma flagstone and salt. One builder we talked to say it is hogwash and would even warranty the coping against deterioration from the salt. But he was going to be too expensive. Others say seal it and you'll be fine and others say nothing stops the deterioration. We'll see how it plays out.

We did come across a builder that has a strong preference to chlorine so we expected some push back when we asked for salt but didn't get any. So out of the four builders I've talked to all 4 would do salt and three seem to prefer it.

Hope that helps.

SWG and chlorine are the same. You're just not adding chlorine and lugging jugs with a SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

YippeeSkippy said:
My only suggestions are: lose the oxone thingamabob and use the savings to buy more concrete! Best advice we got when we had our pool put in.

I see that advice here a lot. Actually, we are trying to preserve as much grass as possible. We have a wooden playscape where the pool is now and will relocate it to the other side of the yard. That's why we have the pool placed where it is and why it is the shape that it is. We have a dog and four kids and want to still have a place for them to play after the pool is built.

One reason for the extra cement is to keep lawn trimmings, fertilizer, etc away from the pool. Just a little extra on each side helps. I understand a desire to keep as much grass as possible otherwise.

Good point on the lawn trimmings, fertilizer, etc. What you don't see on the artist renderings is our plan to have landscaping in the area between the pool and the driveway and behind the diving board along the back fence. My wife has said "I don't want any grass there." So we'll plant some drought tolerant native grasses that don't have to be trimmed and feritlized and fill in with either low height ground cover or rock/gravel. We also intend to build a deck and pergola on the diagonal edge of the diving area (bottom right hand corner of the first pic) so there won't be grass there either.

I'll chime in on the ozonator. I know the opinion around this site is against them, but it seems they are purely for finanicial reasons.

There is nothing wrong with adding an ozonator. The only negative can be that it will cost you money and MAYBE not work as well as they claim. The upside is that you spend that same amount of money and they do work like they claim. An ozonator will not harm your pool. I have one on my pool and am glad that I kept it, even after reading the opinions here.

It's not like a mineral system which could cause damage to your pool. As far as I understand, an ozonator will not harm anything and does actually help the chlorine a little bit. How much it helps is what is debatable. In the grand scheme of things on a $60k+ pool, $600 (what mine cost) is a drop in the bucket for added peace of mind.

I also got a SWCG and am glad I did. It's so nice to know my pool is generating chlorine on its own and that I don't have to add pucks or liquid chlorine on a daily basis. It was a last minute decision and I am thankful that I did it!

bacevedo,

That's good input. Thanks for that. I should have included the price in my initial post, $845. I'm leaning towards getting it. If there is an issue with salt and the Oklahoma flagstone coping and if the ozonater allows me to operate the SWG at lower levels it could be worth it. I'd love to hear from others who have experience or a view on that. The brand is Delzone.

I'd also love to hear from anyone who has an opinion on the pool surface - plaster vs. quartz. That's about a $1,900 item in the bid.

Thanks!

We signed a contract and have received HOA approval. We are waiting on the permit from our local governing authority and then we can get going.

However the first step was moving the playscape.

Still looking for input. We decided to add the ozonator, added some more aggregate between the pool and the driveway and chose a quartz pool surface. We also made the spa a little bit bigger and changed it to round from an octagon. At this point, we can't move the pool or change the size or shape but anything else is possible.

Attachments

• DSC_0597.jpg
    DSC_0597.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 921
  • DSC_0598.jpg
    DSC_0598.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 922
  • DSC_0600.jpg
    DSC_0600.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 921

Congratulation, that is a good looking pool, I wish I have enough room in my backyard for the pool this size. I too just signed a contract with Riverbend Sandler on Monday. The permit was submitted last Friday, hopefully we can start digging by 3rd week of July. They told me Labor Day weekend is realistic, but I really don't buy it :)

Hankster - We just finished our build with Riverbend. Sorry to tell you but our build took a full 10 weeks. Broke ground 4/22 and filled 6/28. While I am happy with the work and pool, I do think there were times the project dragged when it shouldn't have. Maybe yours pool is significantly different than mine but to break ground 3rd week of July and tell you Labor Day seems overly optimistic on their part

Things are getting exciting around here. :party:

They put the piers down today and may be able to excavate as early as Saturday. My kids were fascinated with the huge drilling rig. Unfortunately, they didn't find any oil. The last pic is after they filled the holes with concrete.

Attachments

• DSC_0609.jpg
    DSC_0609.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 789
  • DSC_0607.jpg
    DSC_0607.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 788
  • DSC_0605.jpg
    DSC_0605.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 787

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.