New Pool Build - League City, Houston, Texas

We used Wet Edge Technologies (direct competitor with PT) and decided on Midnight Sea in the satin finish (essentially pebblesheen). The color is a dark blue but not black and it gives the water a great color. We have a heavily shaded backyard and any extra heat to extend the season is welcome.

The surface is like the texture of a basketball and is quite smooth. We stepped in some regular pebble pools and noticed the difference. The owner with the regular pebble said her suits would get pill and snag with the regular pebble but my wife hasn't complained. Also a friend who swam at their pool ended up with abrasions.

If you are going to be launching off the floor with volleyball, I would think the smoothest surface would be the best choice.

Good luck! We are hitting a string of 100+ days here in Austin and our pool is still 80-81 which is a function of our shade (thankfully- Lake Travis is already 86!).

Okay,

Today they started on the coping - looks really cool. Its Travertine, Eased Edge - from QDI Stone - NYSA 12x12. Deck is going to be the same tile or pavers - also 12x12.

Attachments

• coping-1.jpg
    coping-1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 302
  • coping-2.jpg
    coping-2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 300
Nice!! You're going to love that travertine. One of the best upgrades we did hands down. I think it gives your pool a timeless and classy look, plus it stays cooler than just about anything else out there besides your water. The other night around 9pm I was messing around outside with my thermal detector and the travertine was 86 and the spraydeck was still 91. I should check it during the day and see the difference. Its been HOT lately.

Okay,

Sorry for not putting any updates out but I have been travelling most of July.

Well July was very rainy in Texas so its only the last week or so there has been real action.

As you can see waterline tiles in and now the deck (travertine - matching the coping) is done.

Hopefully we can get some plaster in next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also got my first question to the equipment - when we had the walk-through Friday the poolbuilder showed me how to empty the filter pump - when starting it up again it was important that it got full of water (the little valve on top of the DE Filter should be open when starting the pump and when water began to come out it should be closed also indicating all air had gone out of the system)

However- today I noticed that the pump runs without any water - anything wrong - the flow in the pool looks fine to me - so unsure whether everything is fine or not - actually the descent pump same thing - runs fine in the pool but looks more or less dry when I look down into the filter in the pump...

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 175
That whole leaf basket area is filled with water making it look empty. If it was empty you would have no flow. If you start seeing large bubbles sitting in there, then you have a suction side leak...which you obviously dont' have :cheers:

Westend said:
Pumps gets warm - but assume thats the way it is when they run 10-12 hours a day
The pump will get warm to touch after running for a few minutes...it then will stay that temp until you shut it off. This is the reason you want good air circulation around the pump.

Westend said:
Thanks,

Same here. I must say the pb has been quick this first week.

The pool will be 48 foot long so we should be able to get some exercise. It will be 4 foot in each end and 6 foot deep in the middle so we can install a Volleyball net as well.

Main issue right now is the pool plaster - pebble tec - which many says is to rough - or perhaps we should go with pebble sheen - question is how much price difference we are looking at
I know it's kind of late for this comment but I believe you will find that center depth of 6 ft not practical for volleyball. Ours is 5 ft in the middle 3'6, 4' on the two ends. Evaluating usage of our pool, 4'6 in the middle would have been better for volleyball for adults unless you stay well away from the net.

Beautiful pool, I am sure you family will get many hours of enjoyment from it. I know our family does with ours. We are "empty nesters" but our daughters each live within 30 minutes or less and they bring the grandkids over quite regularly to play in the pool with Nana and Papa. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.