New Pool Build in Spring, TX

Bdrums, sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your builder. I know that company comes highly recommended and has a great reputation for doing high end builds. Since I am probably going to go with Blue Surf PebbleSheen, would you recommend it? Do you think they haven't come out because of the holidays?

Bdrums, sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your builder. I know that company comes highly recommended and has a great reputation for doing high end builds. Since I am probably going to go with Blue Surf PebbleSheen, would you recommend it? Do you think they haven't come out because of the holidays?

We love the PS Blue Surf color. The plaster company rep implied that the gunite wasn't dry enough and that the plaster trapped water. I also gather this isn't uncommon in wetter months.

They wanted to try to get the acid wash done before the holidays but they also need a few days of dry weather in order to do it. So I think we're just waiting.

Hi ozdiver. I loaded up Pool Pal and it is indeed very handy. Don't need Pool Math now haha.

Curious. Do you enter before and after results in your log? And what you added?

What I mean is - I come home, grab the test kit and check CL, CC and PH. Record those in Pool Pal, then add whatever chemicals recommended. Retest an hour or so later.

Right now I'm just entering after adjustment results. Just curious what you're logging.

Just a quick word from another PoolPal user. I love it that app. I record what I tested first, as that's really what your pool is doing in the longer timeframe. That's my usage technique, YMMV. Except in rare situations, I don't retest in the short term after the adds because I know how the pool will react. I usually predict the PoolPal add results within an ounce.

And just in case anyone thinks I'm unhappy with the pool...

sign_zpsu4tetkl5.jpg

Loved your recap. In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad you are happy with your pool. It's beautiful! As someone who is (unfortunately) made crazy by sloppiness in the details, I am praying that my build goes well and I am going to be as controlling as possible :)

Love the sign!!

We did final hand over and final payment last night. Did not have any extra due on the deck so I removed that comment from the review

Also removed the comment about the zones on the PV3 being out of sequence after getting a better understanding of the system. In the end it doesn't really matter. However, those of you with CDO (a higher form of OCD where the acronym has to be in alphabetical order) will still be bothered by it.

Waiting on 3 things now:

1. PebbleTec re-acid wash. Likely will be in February. But we are in their books for repair work.

2. Final Woodlands inspection. This mostly covers general aesthetics - pool done, landscaping meets Woodlands criteria, neighbors don't have unapproved structures (haha), etc..

3. Warm weather!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what is Pool Pal, if you don't mind me asking?

No problem at all! Pool Pal is a mobile app. I have it on my Android phone. Might or might not also be available for iPhone.

It's handy to sit by my testing place and document test results. It's got a configuration based on TFP recommendations so it will tell you right there how much chlorine and acid to add.

I gather a few days of test results then sit down and transfer them to my spreadsheet.

Loved your recap. In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad you are happy with your pool. It's beautiful! As someone who is (unfortunately) made crazy by sloppiness in the details, I am praying that my build goes well and I am going to be as controlling as possible :)

Love the sign!!

Thanks! When I think about some of the issues, there's not much I could do to prevent them. For example, the spa fountain. It never even crossed my mind to check if the fitting was level. It wasn't until after they screwed in the pipe that it became obvious. By then, there was nothing I could do short of fight over compensation.

Ditto with the splotchy PebbleSheen.

Who knew when they told me they had pressurized the plumbing to check for leaks that the Auto Fill wasn't part of that? Not me.

I tried to keep a good positive relationship going and spent some time thinking about where my line was. What hill was I willing to die on? The only issue that rose to that level was lack of communication later in the build. Finally sent a stern email expressing our frustration and telling him that we had recommended him on the forums but that we could no longer do that.

I'm not a construction guy and didn't think I'd have to play that role. Especially after seeing how involved he was early on. Goes back to that trust issue.

Regardless, we're happy with the pool and look forward to years of enjoyment. I think we did manage to keep the relationship from totally disintegrating as we may need him for warranty work in the future.

Our PB is really a nice guy with good intentions as well as a lot of knowledge. We think he got overwhelmed and isn't the most organized person, so we don't attribute any of the issues to cutting corners or bad intent.

Regarding your fountain lean (I know I am late commenting on this)
You may be able to make this better by
- measuring the amount of angular correction from vertical.
- marking the riser with which way it needs to be adjusted.
- removing it
- using heat gun to soften the PVC pipe in the lower end.
- bend pipe by correction amount and let cool.

If you were planning on removing it entirely, you have not got much to lose.

Update (been a while!)

A few weeks ago the plaster company came out, drained the pool, acid washed the Pebblesheen, torched a few areas where they said water was trapped under the surface and manually acid treated particularly tough areas (mostly seams like where floor and wall meet).

The surface is now far less splotchy. Would highly recommend this process if you need it. It's not perfect but it does look much, much better.

Question

When we built the pool we decided not to add anything to the steps or benches. Now that we're actually swimming it's common for us to bump knees on the steps or benches because they blend with the floor. Really tough to tell where they start.

Is there anything (within reason) we can do after the fact to delineate the steps and benches?

Thanks!

Okay I am just going to throw ideas out there and see what sticks!

-pretty tile using some kind of underwater epoxy.......if you put them on the riser so there is no chance of stubbing your toes.
ummmmmmm trying to think of another idea but none are coming yet.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.