New Pool build in Southwest Florida

floridapoolfan

Bronze Supporter
Sep 17, 2019
Port Charlotte, FL
Lopez10_001.pngLopez10_002.pngLopez10_003.pngLopez10_005.pngHello everyone,

Love this site and have read so much already. Starting this thread to get advice just like others have done and make sure I'm not missing anything major! Some of my initial concerns/ changes we already made are:
1. Got rid of the Tetris look in the deep end and the bench doesn't extend out into the swim lane.
2. Concerned about how close someone would be to the spa (elbow room) when sitting at the table so thought about extending the pool 1 foot to give more space there.
3. Pool finish, we want the maximum sparkle like bigwills pool, for this size pool how much abalone should we put and is the mini iridescent glass just as sparkly?
4. We want the waterfall affect, right now the spa is double raised and the initial idea is bling glass tile. Is the double raised and wide opening with the tiered spillway going to be powerful enough with the included pump.
5. Anyone see any design flaws that we missed?
6. Last one for now:). Is the larger pebble really an upgrade as the quote says over the mini pebbles? Im worried about it being rough vs hiding more stains as the quote says.

Thank you and look forward to all the replies!

Attachments

• Lopez Quote 10.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
We have a similar shaped pool with spa in Tampa. Couple suggests after going through this process:

1 We also had are spa originally far away from the home. But if you plan on putting a TV under the lanai , having the spa closer makes for some fantastic TV viewing in the evenings and cooler months. Wife and kids spend hours chilling in the spa watching movies, football, etc. So you may want to consider putting the spa in front of the lanai. Quick snapshot from the Nest camera for perspective. You can barely make out the TV but it's fantastic being closer to the house.

2. Not sure what your dimensions are, but go big for the spa. Our interior is 7*7 and it fits us comfortably. 4 couples, no problems, and we also got a dedicated pump for the spa and extra jets (8 total, I think). You'll need that for your massive spillover.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I wondered about the waterfall affect with it being such a large spillway. So should I use the Pentair Intelliflo XF VSF Variable Speed 3 HP pump for the pool and get a different pump just for the hot tub and jets? If so, does anyone have a pump type and size they would recommend? Thanks! The pool size is currently listed as 30x14, hot tub 7x5 and 2 bubblers on the sun shelf that will be 10 inches deep.

You should get a separate single speed 3/4 or 1hp pump that has separate plumbing to the spa that only runs during spillway mode. That will be the baseline flow over the spillway. You can then use the variable speed pump to adjust between trickle and raging river. That’s what I’m doing I. My current build because of an 11’ spillway.

Ditch the prowler 820 and buy your own robot.

Get a larger cartridge like the 520 so you have to clean it less often.

Reactions: floridapoolfan
We have a similar shaped pool with spa in Tampa. Couple suggests after going through this process:

1 We also had are spa originally far away from the home. But if you plan on putting a TV under the lanai , having the spa closer makes for some fantastic TV viewing in the evenings and cooler months. Wife and kids spend hours chilling in the spa watching movies, football, etc. So you may want to consider putting the spa in front of the lanai. Quick snapshot from the Nest camera for perspective. You can barely make out the TV but it's fantastic being closer to the house.

2. Not sure what your dimensions are, but go big for the spa. Our interior is 7*7 and it fits us comfortably. 4 couples, no problems, and we also got a dedicated pump for the spa and extra jets (8 total, I think). You'll need that for your massive spillover.

What is your plaster color

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.