New Pool Build In Longview, TX

My grandson (the pool inspector) got in the pool with his Dad Saturday. The water temperature was 74 but he wanted to get in. His Dad wasn't so thrilled. My grandson is too small to get in by himself safely. They lasted about twenty minutes since the water was cool, the wind was blowing and it was overcast. At least they claimed first in the pool honors. I'll wait for much warmer water.

Ready to go!
32994867463_c5eacd5e07_c.jpg

33651577992_be1f5f637b_c.jpg

kimkats: I guess the picture wasn't clear but the leak is on the discharge fitting of the pump not around the basket lid. It is where I have a 1 1/2" threaded by 2" slip adapter. I wish it was the lid; that would be easier to try to fix. That magic lube looks like pretty good stuff - I will need to check and see if it is the same as the Teflon lube I have in my pickup toolbox that I use on the ball hitches for pulling trailers. I don't know why the pipeline guys require a witness for covering the trench. I guess someone has to make a nice looking report for their Christmas bonus???

When I first turned on my pump on high speed I noticed the filter pressure was 6 psi. I later hooked up the Polaris 65 and ran it for a while then dropped down to low speed. I didn't look at the pressure again until after switching to low speed. The next day, after the swim time, I reconnected the cleaner and switched to high speed. The pressure was now reading 12 psi but there was still plenty of flow. I dropped back down to low speed after a few hours and there is still plenty of flow. Since I have been adding CYA since Friday afternoon (now Sunday night) I do not want to clean my cartridge filter. I also think maybe the initial pressure read low and then crept up to normal operating pressure for a clean cartridge. Anyone ever heard of that?

Sorry im late to this thread but it looks great! I would add a couoke more quick disconnects at pool side to make eorking on those lines a bit easier. I lost count how many i put in bht i eanted to make sure i made it as easy as possible! Good luck
610894b77b89ac6e7e57f20ee521f850.jpg
da3d4511a5148199c32f8d840ee9a2bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LOVE that inspectors smile! 20 mins was all he needed! Poor dad! LOL

Lube for o-rings-you will want to have some around for when you need it. I have no idea if it is the same stuff as you use on your hitches. You can find the tubes a Lowes, Home Depot, pool store, etc. That way you can double check the ingredients.

Pressure-That sounds normal. You have been picking up stuff and your pressure shows it. It is doing it's job.

CYA-how did you add it?

leak-DARN! I was hoping it would REAL easy to fix! Oh well at least you know what you need to do.

LOL on the Christmas bonus :roll:

Kim:kim:

Sorry im late to this thread but it looks great! I would add a couoke more quick disconnects at pool side to make eorking on those lines a bit easier. I lost count how many i put in bht i eanted to make sure i made it as easy as possible! Good luck
610894b77b89ac6e7e57f20ee521f850.jpg
da3d4511a5148199c32f8d840ee9a2bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wish I had done that. I guess I will add them in the future if/when I work on those lines. I had to remove the Doughboy hard pipe adapters to get the final PVC sections in place then slide those back on. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

... CYA-how did you add it? ...

I put the CYA in two old socks (one wasn't big enough) then tied them shut and also wrapped the top with duct tape just for extra assurance. I then put the socks in the skimmer basket. One of the socks has already emptied and I threw it away. The second one is almost fully dissolved. I squeeze them now and then when I am out by the pool.

I have finished up the CYA addition on Wednesday this past week so that makes about 5 days with the socks in the skimmer. I have been doing the daily FC and pH testing but waited on other testing until today. Here are my results.

FC - 3.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
TA - 100
CH - 75 Just did the test since I had the stuff
CYA - 0-10??

The CYA results bother me. I added three pounds of CYA as noted above and when I do the test I can see the dot until the test tube is completely full although it is cloudy. Should the black dot completely disappear from view? I did the test twice outside with my back to the sun, held tube at waist level, sample water temp was 74.4 F. Could the reagant be old? I noticed I only have three reagents in my test kit with any expiration date noted on the sticker. There are no lot numbers on them either, except for the three with expiration dates. The R-0600 expires 5/18; R-0014 expires 7/18 and the R-0003 expires 6/18. These three reagents have Taylor labels - the rest of the stuff does not. Could that be an issue? Maybe I just need to add more CYA so I have placed the remaining ~1 lb of CYA in a sock in my skimmer. We did have a heavy rain during the week and the pool level went up about 3/4 inch - it has now dropped back down about 1/2 inch.

On other notes, I fixed the leak I had on my pump discharge. I only had teflon paste on the threads so I took it apart and put three wraps of teflon tape and a layer of paste on the threads and then reassembled. No leak. I also backfilled the trench with my plumbing lines to the pool. I left about 10 feet exposed over the pipeline area and called the pipeline representative Friday noon to see what his schedule was like since he said he had to witness the fill. He said no problem just go ahead and fill it. My aching head!

We put our Confer steps together and tried to get them in the pool. The steps are on the ground outside the pool right now. That will have to wait until someone can get in the water and tie some weights I made with PVC and sand to the steps. They just wanted to float. I also drilled some more holes in the steps top and bottom to let water in and out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi neighbor,

it isnt unusual for CYA to show up on the test till up to several days to a week later. And is all of it dissolved out of the socks yet?
for your size pool, you would need about the 3 lbs you mentioned to get you to 30.

What was your CYA target you were shooting for?

Hi neighbor,

it isnt unusual for CYA to show up on the test till up to several days to a week later. And is all of it dissolved out of the socks yet?
for your size pool, you would need about the 3 lbs you mentioned to get you to 30.

What was your CYA target you were shooting for?

I was shooting for 30. It was all dissolved from the socks about three days ago but I don't know if everything has passed through the filter? And hi to you, too. Glad to see more Longview representation.

We are Longview address and HISD too. We are south close to 968 and Lansing switch. Windy out today wasn't it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure was. I'm afraid it will be again tomorrow. Of course windy is relative. I'm originally from the Lubbock area where there are no trees and you can see for miles and miles and the wind can really blow. You can see the dust storms coming from the North for a long while before they get to you! I prefer the wind here.

I forgot to mention the other day - we completed the electrical bonding of the pool. Dang that red clay dirt again. That little trench around the pool was more trouble than it should have been.

Two of my grandkids swam in the pool today. They actually got in there twice although it was mighty chilly water. Their teeth were really chattering. No adults got in with them - wonder why. Maybe it was the 74 degree water and the windy day. Brrr! At least the outside temperature was warm.

We swam in the pool yesterday and today for weekend fun. The water temperature had climbed up to a blistering 79. The wife and I actually got in yesterday. It wasn't too bad after a while. As for my CYA level I did my Saturday complete testing and the CYA was between 30 and 40 so that is looking good. I figured it was OK since I have been keeping a good FC level without adding too much chlorine. Now I just need to get the deck built. I did have a deck builder come out and give me a bid - Wow! It would be almost $1,000/day in labor charges plus the materials. The deck layout (basic shape on top) I have is about 650 square feet. Oh well, I knew labor cost would be high. I guess it will be up to me now. I just hope I get the framing laid out correctly for the support of the decking. I don't want footings next to the pool so I will use beams, at least on the inner perimeter. Since my bonding wire is about 18" out from the pool wall I will have to avoid that also. I also want to leave an easy way to replace the liner in the future, if needed. I'll have updated pictures of deck progress when it happens but for now here are some pictures from this weekend. Thanks.

34045647426_800507018c_c.jpg

33929867152_c8611cb89b_c.jpg

33956689921_b772a7c75d_c.jpg

Money best ever spent. Congratulations. Sorry i did not see this thread earlier, but the/my best decision ever made for my AGP
was converting from a cartridge type filter to a Sand Filter and a larger pump(good choice on the 2 speed). The good thing is your
setup is awesome and the change can be made in a snap.

N'joy

Felipe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.