New Owner Build in FL near Orlando

Today, it rained LOL. It is frustrating trying to get the pool balanced when I had to drain 3 inches out of it. Chemicals in and out in hours lol. Will test again tomorrow and keep the battle going. I also didn't get a chance to mess with the actuator cam.

How are you draining? Do you have an overflow built in?
There is a spigot sticking out of the top of the pump, before it goes into the filter. I hook a hose up and run it out to the street and open up the spigot while the pump is running. It is slow, but it got the job done over a few hours. I don't have an overflow in the pool. If the pool were to overflow, I have a nice slope to the street so the house would be ok.
1598972372080.png

Reactions: PoolNewb2
There is a spigot sticking out of the top of the pump, before it goes into the filter. I hook a hose up and run it out to the street and open up the spigot while the pump is running. It is slow, but it got the job done over a few hours. I don't have an overflow in the pool. If the pool were to overflow, I have a nice slope to the street so the house would be ok.
View attachment 160602

Just a heads up I had Cliff plumb in a quick discharge port on mine that I can hook a flexible hose for if I ever need to drain it but we also do have the autodrain off one of the skimmers.

Today I adjusted the cam on my 3 way valve actuator so it only moves 90 degrees instead of 180. Now I can turn on my deck jets without the pool returns being off. I also renamed the feature 1 to "jets" in the easytouch so we will know what it is. Took a lunch break swim in the cool 83 degree water. We are also making progress on the pH. It was 8.5 Saturday when the pool was turned over to me. Been adding muriatic acid each day and we are now at 7.5 today. I also recalculated the volume of the pool since it seemed like the chemicals were making inch changes and now we went from 15k to a 17.3k water volume. I guess you can't trust other people to calculate it for you LOL. Working our way to that 7.2 mark as recommended by the plaster company.

Where did you buy the sleeves for the umbrella that are in your deck? Do you like them?
They are aquastar sleeves 7.5". So far I like them. They were supposed to be for 1.5 inch umbrellas but I believe they are a little bigger. I put them into concrete with a 4 inch pipe for support. They come with twist lock caps to keep water and dirt out of them. I ordered them online, but I'm pretty sure my plumber could have bought them for me from the wholesale supplier when he bought the equipment as they were a supplier for aquastar.

So you put them in concrete and then they place the sand and pavers around the sleeve?
No, I buried a 4 inch pipe 3 to 4 feet down. I put some quickrete in the pipe but left the top 6 inches open. Then cut the pipe at ground level once they compacted the paver base. They drilled the hole through the paver for the sleeves and we filled it in with wet concrete and then pushed the sleeve into the concrete. I was trying to create a weighted base for the umbrella as I didnt think the paver could take the wind forces from the umbrella.

Reactions: usfbull
So after much debate, ordered samples, laughing, crying, praying, I picked out the tile. I let my wife get what she wanted and every sample I think was worse than the past samples. I jumped online and found the glass tiles she wanted and I knocked it out of her park in one try LOL. She is not pleased, but is very pleased with the tiles. We have mixed tiles for the waterline and 1x2 for the steps.View attachment 145050
View attachment 145051

Hi,
Where online did you order your tiles?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great write up! I'm in your boat with Pool contractor madness in CFL, and thus wanting to GC my own pool which has already been designed by a landscape architect. Would you mind sharing the companies you used for the project, it appears they all did a good job.

Thanks!

Reactions: bbqjosh
Love the write-up on every step and your pool looks amazing. Just moved to Oviedo Florida and we are looking to put a similar size pool and we are looking to go the owner builder route. Not to come off as a stalker but your neighborhood looks very similar to the Taylor Morrison neighborhood we moved into. It looks like the subs you used did a great job. If you don't mind, would you to be able to share their contact information in additionto the engineering company? I would really appreciate it.

Reactions: bbqjosh
After we got our engineering back, it is time to apply for the permit. I thought the permit application would be pretty easy until I got in touch with the building department. They did have a nice list of what they were looking for which caught me by surprise. They wanted two copies of all the equipment installation manuals. This amounts to hundreds of pages printed. I can't believe they wanted so much printed paper. The permit package was bigger than my thesis! LOL So I had to hit the internet and download and print all these installation manuals and it is all the equipment (pumps, swg, filters, heater, etc etc). Check to make sure they aren't triple language as it is even more paper. For my city, I needed to pull three permits (Pool/Spa, Plumbing, and Electrical). For the pool/spa you need to assign a valuation and this will determine your permit fee when you pick up your approved permit. For the electrical and plumbing I filled out the owner information and left everything else blank. They just assign a basic fee for these. You will need to get your permit and notice of commencement notarized. So here are all the contents I needed:
One Pool/Spa Permit
One Plumbing Permit
One Electrical Permit
One Owner/Builder Affidavit (Basically outlines what is expected of you and the risk)
Two sets of the aquatic engineering plans and report
Two sets of your 2D pool plans
Two sets of survey with hand drawn pool and pool equipment area with set backs to property lines
Two copies of residential safety act form (How you are going to protect your pool (fence, door alarms, in pool alarm, screened enclosure, etc)

I dropped my permit off at the building department on a Thursday and then I picked up the approved package up on a Monday. They sent me an email to pay my fee before I picked up the package.

They state that you can begin construction, but you need to file a notice of commencement before the first inspection. I decided to go to the county and file my notice of commencement the next day. You pay another small fee and it is recorded. This was done at the court of clerks office. So with all that squared away we are set to break ground!
Did you have to pull a sub permit to modify your irrigation system?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.