New Pool Build - Houston, TX

ncbart

Aug 5, 2019
TX
I've been lurking around here for the past month or so learning about being a new pool owner. I thought now is a good time to show off my custom pool build. Excavation started May 28 and plaster went in June 22. It took 2 days to gunite this guy. We had a freak torrential downpour in the evening during the first day of gunite, which resulted in some of the fresh gunite breaking off. They were able to patch it the next day, but it's still not a good feeling to see your fresh gunite slumping off. Other than this, no issues during and after construction. We've been quite happy with the design and how everything tied together in the end. We were worried the plaster might look too green, but it looks perfect in the end. It also gives it a nice two-tone plaster look, where the beached entry looks like sand.

The next project will be to add some landscaping in the back. Sprinklers are already installed, just need some plants.

Some key features:
  • 20k gallons, dimensions: 37' x 20', depth: 3.5 - 6.5 ft
  • Beached entry with steps/benches
  • Smoothed ramp entry with low-profile "handrail" (you can use the coping on the wall to hold on while going on the ramp)
  • 16 sq ft granite table with built-in 6' benches by spa + long bench along raised wall
  • 4 sheer decent waterfalls
  • Silver travertine coping + silver splitface travertine on raised walls
  • Stonescapes minipebble plaster "Caribbean Blue"
  • Black iron fence separating pool decking and remaining grass yard
  • Pentair 3hp Intelliflow VSF + Pentair 1.5hp Whisperflo + Pentair EasyTouch 8 with Wifi adapter + Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU heater
Final pics:
20190720_093826.jpg20190720_093942.jpg20190720_095311.jpg20190720_095339.jpg20190720_095407.jpg

Construction pics:
20190530_063818.jpg20190605_071123.jpg20190605_193404.jpg20190612_185542.jpg20190612_185558.jpg

Last edited:
Really neat pool, now is the time to start thinging Landscaping. all Garden centers are slashing prices to reduce inventory so they do not over winter them.

I like several features like the side slope, and beach entry. Let us know how it works out in a year!!!

John

Thanks! Yep, the plan is to get some small dwarf palms for the back, plus maybe another filler. I was waiting for the late summer sales to kick in and for the weather to be a little cooler.

Thanks! Yep, the plan is to get some small dwarf palms for the back, plus maybe another filler. I was waiting for the late summer sales to kick in and for the weather to be a little cooler.
Queen Palms will look great back there and are clean, also consider some white heliconia white bird of paradise. (Big Bird of Paradise)! They grow verticle and will flat fan out. Great cover for the fence.
I am a Plumeria grower so I have a preference, If you like them do not put real close to the pool as the blooms do fall off constantly!!!
I have several potted large Sago Palms I am about to get rid of if interested.

It is nice having a blank slate to work with.

John

Attachments

• White BOP.jpg
    White BOP.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the suggestions. I would love a Queen Palm, but worried about the roots growing in the gunite and maintaining it. It's only ~3-4 ft (the bench area is probably closer to 3 ft) between the gunite shell and the fence.

Interesting idea about the bird of paradise. I was actually just thinking those would look nice the other day.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would love a Queen Palm, but worried about the roots growing in the gunite and maintaining it. It's only ~3-4 ft (the bench area is probably closer to 3 ft) between the gunite shell and the fence.

Interesting idea about the bird of paradise. I was actually just thinking those would look nice the other day.
I would think twice about queen palms. You may have noticed how many got wiped out with our hard freeze in Dec 2017. My neighbor had to remove the 2 he had. After doing some research, we went with windmill palms, very cold hardy.

You must not have a restricted easement lol. Pools looks close to the fence. I'm loving your beach walkin and your pool looks amazing!!
May I ask what your pool cost?
Is it Salt water?
Are you going to run a chiller?

I'm in Katy and we're just waiting on Katy to approve our permit for construction to start.

You must not have a restricted easement lol. Pools looks close to the fence. I'm loving your beach walkin and your pool looks amazing!!
May I ask what your pool cost?
Is it Salt water?
Are you going to run a chiller?

I'm in Katy and we're just waiting on Katy to approve our permit for construction to start.

We're in Montgomery County, so no permit required. Our neighborhood has front yard easements, so we had almost the entire backyard open for construction. We still needed HOA approval, although they have their own set of requirements.

It's not a salt water pool. I know they're strongly recommended here, but I'm personally not a fan. The final contracted price was $71k. It finished on budget thanks to no surprises, such as having to relocate a sewer line or power line.

I was also debating getting a chiller, but having second thoughts. As you can probably tell, my pool is in the full sun from sunrise until about 5pm in the evening. However, pool temperature hasn't been outrageous. Even the hottest weeks in July and August, like this week, it never went above 91 deg F during the day, and usually drops down to 87-88 at night. If the max temperature is 91 during the hottest summer months, I'll hold off on the chiller.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How are you enjoying the table in your pool? We are debating putting one in, does it get used a lot and if so what do you use it most for?

We also debated whether or not a table would be a good idea, but we love it and have no regrets. It definitely adds a social aspect to the pool for pool parties. We normally only use it for drinks during parties, but have also used it for food on more than one occasion. We have an umbrella anchor in ours as well, which is good for the summer since we have little shade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.