New Pool Build Frisco, TX

Skipping ahead to build day 34, 07/14/2016, because we've been sort of out of pocket the last several days... highlight photos only, to save everyone's sanity. The patio guys dropped off their supplies last Friday afternoon and were scheduled to start that next day (Saturday) but didn't show up until Monday before lunch. They prepped the yard Monday, and Tuesday through today they put in the pavers and started cleaning up. They also chopped off the ends of the plumbing in the pool and spa and scraped the gunite in preparation for plaster I assume. We must be getting closer to the end. There's things that haven't been done and / or addressed and there's things that have. I sent a 2 page email outlining my concerns to my PB last Friday and was supposed to hear something back after the weekend but haven't yet. I don't want to delay them in their work; I frankly just want the job done at this point and then have the punch list taken care of.

Well, we have final pool inspection tomorrow. Glad the heavy lifting is over but the pool still isn't 100%. One of the waterfalls isn't working and the stone masons weren't able to make it out today to tear into it and look into why.

The startup guys came Monday (yesterday) and said the pool would be good to go between 3-4pm, so when we all got home from work about 6pm we all raced to the pool for a first swim. Within a couple minutes my 6 year olds eyes were basically swollen shut and he was crying. I got everyone out and the pH was somewhere in the range of 6.2 and the FC was over 10. I was LIVID but with no one to call at 6pm, so we rinsed out his eyes as best we could and had to assure him that the pool wouldn't hurt his eyes like that every time.

We finally got the boys to bed and I tried the spa setting. The spa was drawing so much air when I switched it over it shut the pump down. So I bled the air myself since it wasn't done and got that corrected. Then I hit the blower motor switch and it immediately spun around in a circle on the pvc pole until the electrical conduit stopped it (which scared the heck out of me by the way). I shut it down and fastened the union that was never attached and tightened it up and even though the pipe rocks when it's working or the spa is on (supervisor says this is acceptable and they never strap them down - they just let them flex). That SEEMS to have fixed that.

I also noticed the black fitting they screwed into the sidewall fitting for the pool sweep was sticking WAY out, and I thought they were supposed to be flush or close to it. I added this to a very unhappy text to the supervisor hoping he would address it, too, since I hadn't seen him (even though he could have come by without me knowing and maybe just missed everything I guess.)

Today (the next morning) the startup guys came to address things while I was at the store buying chemicals to do it myself and the tech manager apologized for the incident and assured me everything was now right. I am waiting on my TF-100 because I thought my "premium pool cleaning and maintenance tools" would be more than a ten pack of test strips and a bottom of the line brush and skimmer net, so I have to take their word for it.

They also hadn't remembered to hook up the gas to the heater, so that was addressed today while I was out. I turned it on to make sure it was capable of producing hot water and it was, but I shut it right down because I didn't want to harm the new plaster.

Since I was assured all was well I figured, heck, I've got almost 3 hours before the startup techs said they'd be back to double check the levels (they pretty much said the test strips I was given from them weren't reliable and that the levels were good). I had just sat down to see how the jets feel when they pulled in the driveway again. No testing, just started squirting a blue bottle of something into the pool he said was a chlorine killer since the levels had been so high. They then tested again and they told me everything was perfect and shouldn't need a thing for a few days. Fantastic.

The kids got home and it was time to hit the pool. We had just gotten in and something told me to check the levels anyway. PH and Alk were within range. BUT ZERO, 0, FC. I mean what the heck? So out of the pool came all my little clan, upset and thinking they did something wrong, and I explained that the pool company messed up the water again and it wasn't safe to swim with zero FC.

I went back to the auto chlorinator which still had 2 or 3 tablets in it from the startup day I guess and it was set to 1. So I put it up to 5 to at least HOPEFULLY get some FC in before it blooms algae or worse. Luckily, though, the auto chlorine dispenser fittings were leaking at the top AND bottom now, not just the bottom like I told the plumber, the supervisor , and the startup guys about as recently as yesterday and more than two weeks prior on the day of plumbing install.

So I took what little granulated chlorine I had left and added some of it hoping to at least register until tomorrow when someone can be reached. I knew I shouldn't have trusted them to have fixed it the second time and just bought my own chemicals. But hey, they assured me it was good to go. Lesson learned, again. (it's been a couple hours, so I went out and checked it and I've got it up to 3 FC, according to the cheapo strips they told me don't work they gave me in my deluxe supplies, so I guess it's okay for tonight at least.

Same thing goes for the Waterway drain covers which aren't the same as the brochure I was given or the mini color logic lights that weren't the brochure I was given. Do they work? Yep. Were they what I was told I would receive? Nope. Do they cost less to the company to provide me? Yep. Was any of that savings passed on to me? Nope.

But they are doing me the solid of charging me only $200 for the concrete guys to cut out and repour the extra strip of my 18x18 driveway that they crushed with the trackhoe when they had to dig the pool back out after the storm collapsed it on day 2.

So, lots of little things, not even hitting them all in this build log. I'm jealous of my neighbors pool that's almost done a couple doors down because they appear genuinely happy and taken care of. Maybe getting what I paid for was a high expectation on my part.

I'm also pretty sure you are not supposed to use the heater for 30 days after plaster is applied. I would check into that.

Sod replacement, sprinkler re-routing, and fence put back up are easily the three most common things I've seen shady pool builders skimp on. Some have legit reasons like liability. Mostly it's just garbage.

The good news is that the pool itself is complete and it looks good.

Visually tho, it looks like a fine pool.

How many days from contract to completion? And dig to completion ? I'm curious.

If it passes inspection tomorrow, technically, it would be build day 47. Guy down the street is right on par with this time line with his builder, because his foreman came by to talk to my job foreman when he came through today.

I don't know that the pool wasn't done correctly. I'm sure they're giving me the bare acceptable minimums and trying to make me feel like I got a great deal. Problem is, I've gotten estimates that tell me I'm at the top of the pricing pack and I'm getting less for my money than with other builders. But at least the pool will be a reminder of that every time I write that loan check. Good times!

Did you ever ask him about the lights and why they didn't match up with the documentation you were given?

I waited 10 days without reminding him I existed for him to respond to my email with all my concerns and his answer to the paragraph long question was literally, copy and paste:-
" These are the lights we use on 95% of the pools we are doing these days. I am sorry for any confusion."

I've got synthetic turf guys coming over now. Realized my sprinkler control box had wires hanging out of it from when they redid the sprinkler loop and I'm not sure where they are supposed to be connected so I guess I'll be calling that contractor to ask.

Pool failed final inspection this morning (they forget to schedule it for yesterday so they came today) and it was for not having the pool equipment bolted down? Does anyone actually do that? And for not leaving them a remote to my slide gate to check the timing of the autoclose....

They must not know the falls don't work.

The masons were supposed to be here Monday afternoon, then Tuesday, then Wednesday, and it's now Thursday and they haven't shown. It's getting really old.

I was hoping my builder was in the office at 6 when I went in for pool school with the wife last night but he was gone. ZERO CONTACT still.

Good times.

Regarding the wires hanging out of the sprinkler controller box... the supervisor showed up mid afternoon and texted me that it was just a common and needed a wire nut and asked for the final payment check and extra $200 for pouring the section of driveway they crushed with their trackhoe during excavation. So I texted him back that I had seen a twisted pair of white and green that had no nut in there and I believed that could be a common but I was talking about the big red one that you could tell was terminated on a screw head previously (still half round end and you could see where the screw head held it down and it was next to a row of terminating screws.) It was the wire *hanging out of the box* that wouldn't allow it to close. He said, oh, I didn't see that one. Then recommended via text to test each sprinkler until I found one that wasn't working. Then I could call him and he'd reach out to the contractor. He showed up unannounced on a Thursday afternoon to pick up the final payment and the $200 extra dollars for the driveway repouring, and when I even offered that he could pick them up from my office he just said, "I'm long gone now, maybe we can meet up tomorrow." Of course that was all via text so I may have misinterpreted any emotion I guess since he didn't call.

Well, came home and the box is closed, I'm assuming he just stuffed the wires back in and closed it. The stone masons popped in and took off some coping and stone and repaired the 3rd waterfall. He said they put too much glue into it originally and it blocked the pipe (completely). I've done a handful of PVC gluing and never in my life have I completely blocked a 1" pipe with glue. I mean you're talking about pvc cement that is smeared on one or two sides of a prepped pipe. Think almost a paper thin layer and that's what you're really needing. So how that can be, I have no idea. Maybe some mortar fell in since there was so much mortar debris in the bottom of the pool when I got home? Glue that thick wouldn't cure or set, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway - he said it works so I'm sure it will. I waited a day before trying since he asked me to - I don't need any more headaches in case the mortar bed isn't hardened or something and blows out the pipe.

On the flip side, my TF-100 kit showed up and I got to play mad scientist a little watching reactions and color shifts. Pretty fun stuff. My chems were initially:

FC = 1.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 1.5
TA = 160
CYA = 33
CH = 150

That was yesterday at 4pm. I added a pint of MA and let it run a couple hours. Didn't appear to lower the PH any, but I'm doing it in small steps to see what it really takes to move the numbers since this is a new pool to me. I'd rather hit it with a feather than a sledgehammer and see how the values swing. I've got the features on to aerate and I figure I'll just keep adding a pint or so of MA every few hours and recheck. I'm trying to lower my TA and my PH at the same time so I think that's my best route. PH will steadily drive its way up with this new plaster for a long time, from what I read here.

I talked to a pool tech at pool school who also said VSP's do work but they from the service side he despises them. He likes the single speed pumps because there's no variability and again stuck to the company message that a VSP isn't worth the money and running it longer lower and harder later for shorter duration just is too complicated and not worth it to a homeowner cost wise.

I disagree but I give up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your experience sounds like a beating. So was mine. But it really does seem to fade away once you are done with them. We still have some loose ends, but that nightmare is over. I was able to be home for almost all of the major milestones. Had I not been, it would have been lots worse. Hang in there. It will get better. That said, I think your pool looks really nice, and I like that travertine a lot!

As an aside, I went with a two speed pump. My friends with VSPs didn't seem so impressed with them, and one said if he had to do it over, he'd have just gone with a two speed. So far I'm happy with how mine operates. I have it programmed on high during the day, and low at night. I'm sure I'll dial that back, but it's working right now.

I've managed to get my levels where they all should be slowly and steadily, and I'll check them again in the a.m. The boys LOVE having a splash pad so close - and I do love the way it came out all in all. I wrote - well, electronically wrote - the first loan payment check today. I figured by doubling down on it I'll only have to pay it a little less than half the original loan life and a third the interest - so that's me making it a better value from my corner. I enjoy the LEDs although there are some dark areas and the lights pretty much miss the sun shelf entirely, but I don't know what else they might have done about that. The falls are all working and once I get a few more days of sweeping and brooming plaster in the books, I'll probably dial back a little on the main drains and put more suction on the skimmers. Then I'll also slow the pool returns a bit to increase the spa water feature to evenly sheet as opposed to one corner sort of sheeting and the rest just running over and down the rock veneer instead. Hopefully. I can't help but think that if they hadn't skimped on the 2.2 SF motor on my 2HP and put the actual 2.7 SF one on it might flow better and balance better. I feel like just those few features almost need a booster pump sometimes.

Anyhow - I'll get some cleaned up pictures once the synthetic turf is in place. I'm ALMOST as excited about zero scaping my back yard as I am for the pool at this point lol

Cheers.

I've been following along and love the way your pool turned out. Sorry to hear about all the frustration with the builder, I'm having my fare share as we speak.

One thing I did find (i was double checking my lights after reading your thread), there are several options for lenses that you can order for the lights that help with size of the beam and direction of light.

thought I would just throw that out there in case it would help

I've been following along and love the way your pool turned out. Sorry to hear about all the frustration with the builder, I'm having my fare share as we speak.

One thing I did find (i was double checking my lights after reading your thread), there are several options for lenses that you can order for the lights that help with size of the beam and direction of light.

thought I would just throw that out there in case it would help

Thanks - I hadn't seen that. I'll have to do a google search. The spa light is well sized, but my wife complains that half the pool is basically dark because of the size of the lights and she's right. There are a couple colors in the selection that will light most of it but its pretty uneven.

**On a different note** - I bought my kids some cheapo swim masks to play with in the pool and a cheapo one for me to pick up all the pebbles and mortar pieces and debris left in the pool from construction and looked underwater in the spa for the first time. There's a hole in the stonescapes plaster about the size of a dime or a nickel with some cracks running out of it and the material behind it is like a tan or white and has a putty like consistency. I'm obviously going to call the builder because that looks like a major issue.

Also - after the Stonescapes was installed the supervisor came out and said that major variations in color and aggregate coverage were to be expected. I have patches of blue plaster and very little aggregate and some eye catching chunks of white aggregate grouped together - think broken Styrofoam pieces and you're in the right direction.

It passed final inspection the other day.

Sorry for the lengthy delay here guys. I got my entire build log yanked from the forums because, honestly, I got a little too emotionally invested in my unhappiness with the build process. A moderator was nice enough to put it back up for me after we messaged a little bit but I've been busy with life's other moments since then and haven't been back until today. To be totally fair, we still have some fairly major problems with the pool process and unresolved problems but the pool itself is very nice and we got Luke at DFW Turf Solutions to come out and I can't say enough good things about the way they handle their business. I'd recommend them to a friend in a second; they quoted me fairly, delivered on time, and had zero issues in their work (did what they said, when they said, for the price they said - that simple).

Here's some completed pictures and it gives an idea of the finished appearance of the darker plaster (midnight blue stonescapes finish.) It's really a nice finish but super rough on the body if you scrape it diving or kick it while swimming etc. I'd absolutely go with a smooth finish product like quartz, etc, next time, but it looks terrific and will last a REALLY long time.

Here's how it looks!

And some idea of what the Midnight Blue mini pepple StoneScapes looks like most of the time, good sunlight and clear water. Also theres a picture of it in overcast (raining ) in daytime. It's a nice color and I'm glad we went darker. When it was 105 for over 10 days the water DID get between 90-93 degrees during the day - a lot warm for my preference - but as soon as it dropped to 80 degrees for a couple days the water has been in the low 80's since. Texas sun man...

Looks like my water with Wet Edge's Deep Sea Blue. I'm near Houston and we've had some really warm water days but also cooler days too. I suspect as the weather cools off we'll appreciate those extra degrees and even longer extended use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.