New Pool Build (Drawing Plans) Plumbing Question

nkrunic

Sep 14, 2020
Cave creek, az
I am in the process of drawing out my plans for our new pool. I plan on posting them to get feedback from everyone once I complete them. In the meantime I had a question about having a single pool pump or having a secondary pool feature pump and which set up is ideal and same goes for the plumbing set up. This will be a in ground gunite pool with 5-6 returns. 3 bubblers on the Baja shelf, 5 deck jets, and 3 wall scuppers (not sure on the size yet). Plus we want an built in spa. Goal is to get the variable speed 3hp pump but wanted to see what you all think if I need a secondary pump and if so which one you would suggest and how should my plumbing be set up. The pool dimensions are roughly 22x40.

You will need a second pump if you want water features to run while in spa mode. We added a second variable speed pump for our water features because my wife wants to be able to have everything on at one time.

You will need a second pump if you want water features to run while in spa mode. We added a second variable speed pump for our water features because my wife wants to be able to have everything on at one time.

And the features have to be plumbed correctly. My PB plumbed my wall scuppers in with the pool/spa pump, and as such, I couldn't use them when running the spa. So I replumbed to achieve this. Just make sure you address how all features will work, before you get to plumbing.

I have basically the same features as you, 3 waterfalls/scuppers, 3 deck jets, 5 bubblers. I wouldn't do the deck jets again. If you want something pretty to look at, laminars would be better, as they maintain a smooth stream all the way. Not sure how noisy laminars are, but the deck jets are crazy noisy. We don't run them very often at all due to the noise. The bubblers and waterfalls are a soothing noise. The deck jets are a pull your hair out kinda noise, at least to me.

--Jeff

What’s your set up like? As far as plumbing goes? Do you have each feature plumbed separately? What are the pump sizes that you have? Is the secondary pumped through the filter as well? How does that work if you have both pumps on at the same time? Do you plumb the pump in before or after the heater? Sorry for so many questions :)

And the features have to be plumbed correctly. My PB plumbed my wall scuppers in with the pool/spa pump, and as such, I couldn't use them when running the spa. So I replumbed to achieve this. Just make sure you address how all features will work, before you get to plumbing.

I have basically the same features as you, 3 waterfalls/scuppers, 3 deck jets, 5 bubblers. I wouldn't do the deck jets again. If you want something pretty to look at, laminars would be better, as they maintain a smooth stream all the way. Not sure how noisy laminars are, but the deck jets are crazy noisy. We don't run them very often at all due to the noise. The bubblers and waterfalls are a soothing noise. The deck jets are a pull your hair out kinda noise, at least to me.

--Jeff

Very good point. Also, think about how you want the automation to work. I had to have them add an extra actuator so we would have one on the fountains and one on the bubbler, this made me jump up to the larger automation system( which I really prefer anyway). Having the actuator on each allows me to use either water feature or both without the need for a trip to the equipment pad to change valves around.

What’s your set up like? As far as plumbing goes? Do you have each feature plumbed separately? What are the pump sizes that you have? Is the secondary pumped through the filter as well? How does that work if you have both pumps on at the same time? Do you plumb the pump in before or after the heater? Sorry for so many questions :)

I have (2) Intelliflow VSF 3HP pumps. One on the pool/spa that filters, and one for the features, which does not go through the filter. Initially I had deck jets and bubblers plumbed with one 3 way valve and actuator, but I didn't like that I had to have the bubblers going to have the deck jets. I wanted each feature to be able to be isolated. And I replumbed as such. I probably could have convinced my PB to do it, but I figured if I was gonna have to be here to babysit and make sure it was done the way I wanted it, I would be better off to do it myself, and not have to mess with anyone else.

I don't see how you could do 2 pumps through 1 filter. You could add a smaller filter for the features pump, but I think that would be overkill.

I'm no pool plumbing expert, but this is what I've gathered from reading around here and seeing how mine was done. Order goes, suction from pool, pump, filter, heater, SWCG, return to pool. I also have an in floor cleaner that I use, that comes after the SWCG. Obviously that is just the large components. There are other things that may or may not need to be installed based on your particular system.

I attached pics of the plumbing before and after my modifications.

--Jeff

Attachments

• New pool plumbing.JPG
    New pool plumbing.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Old Plumbing.JPG
    Old Plumbing.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 30
Regarding the engineering part. I am currently working on drawing my plans and plan on purchasing the premium package from <link removed> but I couldn't see how I can contact the guy so can anyone clarify the statement below.
  1. Can't have grade change of more than 6" over 20 feet on back edge of property line - I had to climb over my masonry wall and check to see what was behind there. It was just a common landscaping area that stretched just about 25 feet from the wall to the road. The common area had some trees and ground cover shrubbery and it was otherwise pretty flat. I noticed that it did slope downwards a little towards the road, but it was within 6 inches over that 20 feet.
Does this mean that the grade change around the pool (20 ft radius) cannot be more than 6" without having special engineering? I am elevating my intermediate area where my pool will be to be level with the house. There will be approximately 2-3 drop off 9 feet from the edge of the pool. Meaning that the immediate 9 feet from the pool will be level with the pool then will drop down 2-3 ft. Just wondering if I will need special engineering based on his statement above? Unless I am understating that incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.