New Pool Build because of Big Green Egg - FINAL INSPECTION

Re: New Pool Build in Central Texas because of Big Green Egg

Wow! Holy hard rock batman! That cat cracks me up! I really like that fire pit design! Is your plumbing going to run above ground or do they have to trench it?

It is going to be trenched. I think they are working on that today, or starting the rebar. My PB said it is always a fight on who gets to do their job first amongst the plumbing and rebar crews.

Is a great cat, pretty sure his IQ is about 50 points higher than mine.........Runs the entire house.

Plumbing went in today. I have no idea what I am looking at but I am assuming it was done well. All the runs were straight and all the color of the pvc matched, and they labeled everything. (Ok, I am not that clueless!) They did say there was a shortage of PVC because of a certain pool build in Phoenix......

Rebar comes tomorrow barring rain. I think I am getting close to my next inspection. Think a gift certificate to Outback or something would help.....

Attachments

• IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 526

We are allowed 65 percent coverage and right now we are at 64.86 percent. I cannot add anymore non pool coverage anywhere. Think that is why they made such a big deal about the a/c pad during my permit process.

Just saw the link to your pool shaken bake and it is awesome! Your rock slab looks similar to mine and I had a fixed price quote as well thankfully as my elapsed time for the dig was similar to yours.

Keeping my builder quiet to the end in case I get mad at them but for now though a bit slow are doing a very high quality build that I am pleased with. Don't seem to cut corners on anything.

skylar18 said:
If anyone told us that we would be building a pool even 6 months ago we would have laughed out loud at the thought. Though something we always dreamed about, we have been boat people and have always spent time on the lake. However, with the kids getting older and a simple birthday gift, we now find ourselves in the process of building a pool. Even though I have immersed myself in learning everything I can about pool ownership, I am such a novice that I am sure I am going to need plenty of help or at least people to bounce ideas off of. 10 years ago we knew nothing about boating and quickly realized that some good boat forums with great people provided much better knowledge and experience than the boat stores.

Based on what I have seen here it looks like this forum is the same way. I am already glad I stumbled across it with a simple "Should I use a Salt Water Generator or an In Line chlorinator with Chlorine pucks or tablets for primary pool sterilization" into Google. (BTW, after 4 weeks, many sleepless nights looking for info on that subject on the internet, talking to pool professionals, and looking at countless pools in our neighborhood, I am still not comfortable with our decision!)

To pre thank everyone for any help or advice, I will try to keep this as humorous as possible without embellishing anything. I have found that life itself is very funny and things that happened already has helped motivate me to blog our progress.

How this started was getting a Big Green Egg Smoker for my birthday. We ended up using it so much that we were outside in our back yard much more. So from there we got the idea to put an outdoor kitchen in back. After kicking that idea around, and drawing up some plans, we decided to include a fire pit. That led to putting a spa in the project. At that point we just decided to go the whole way with a pool and outdoor living area. I still say the 800 dollar big green egg is costing us $$$$$!

We are in a Central Texas City that shall remain nameless because of permitting issues I have already had, and the fact that I am still going to need to pass some inspections. (Right now I am 0-1). I will give you a hint that you can hear a lot of live music here, everyone wears burnt orange, and the Governor of Texas calls the city home.

That's pretty darn funny, actually. What the heck, whatever excuse you need to use to get your pool built...You won't regret it. And you'll need your sense of humor when you get farther into the planning/build process, every bit of it.

Where's that longhorn smiley.... :mrgreen:

Rebar is done! They finished up yesterday.

Big week planned with some more plumbing work, electrical work and an inspection. Hopefully we can get to the gunite stage soon.

With my fence down my dogs have run away 114 times, neighbor dogs have found my doggie door and have realized that our dog food at our house is much better than theirs, and I got a violation from our HOA about my fence being in disrepair and had to fix it immediately or face a fine. Yes the same HOA that had to approve this project and knows that we are putting a pool in. Once again, you cannot make this stuff up!

One question I have is the rebar is completely level everywhere except around my fire pit where it dips down on one side. I know when they form the gunite it will be even, I think, but should I have them straiten that out does it matter?

Attachments

• IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 481

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Rough Plumbing is complete. Ran PVC for LED lights. Ready for Gunite!

PB told me I am getting a booster pump for the Polaris, and I decided to go with the Iaqua link control along with a PDA. That way the wife can have a waterproof device, and I can have my technology toy.

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 454

Gunite day was today. 7 am the trucks all rolled up ready to go. Weren't sure if they were coming today or Monday. I immediately felt the flu coming on and called in sick.....Glad I did, pretty cool, and had to make a couple of decisions during the "spray". What do you call a gunite application? Hmm, might google it.

Attachments

• IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 396

They got done....6 trucks of gunite. The crew said they usually do two pools a day but the last truck didn't pull away until after 2, then they were still smoothing and such until about 3:30.

You know how you look at the design and look at it and think it is perfect. Wife came home, and is upset because she didn't notice until today that the spa blocks 1/4 of the view of the pool from the deck. I asked her what did she want me to do about it?.......She said how did we not notice that? I said the design was all based on getting the spa as close to the house as possible, and putting as much deck in as possible under our impervious cover restrictions......

She calmed down after awhile, just frustrating because you think you have thought about everything when designing this stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1740.JPG
    IMG_1740.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 394

Your build story is great! Reminds me of ours, but without the smoker. Maybe I need a smoker?

Our pool ended up showing up after we decided we needed a porch and hot tub and before we finished building the porch. We are done now and could not be happier. After having my wife do all the permit applications for the porch she decided we would pay someone else to do that for us.

I consider our permit office the department of commerce prevention here. Our PB woefully told us he had to take 3 trips to get the permits and waited most of the day each time. At least in Texas they kick you out of line at 11, in FL they close the doors at 4:55pm no matter how long you've been there. And don't even ask about names called while feeding parking meters and contradictory requirements, and...

Then, we failed twice for bogus stuff and each failure carries a $37 re-inspection fee which can be paid in person (parking meters) or by FAX! (who has a fax?). And the second one we finally paid despite EVERYONE agreeing it was their fault, not ours, but no one would agree to reverse it (or even admit they COULD reverse it), no matter how many times we won the argument that there was no way for anyone to know... oh, I'm discouraged now - I always fantasized that Texas was better and Florida was only a mess because we all brought our dysfunction down with us from the Northeast.

But I digress... it looks like a really nice pool - can't wait to see it come together.

davelinde said:
Your build story is great! Reminds me of ours, but without the smoker. Maybe I need a smoker?

Our pool ended up showing up after we decided we needed a porch and hot tub and before we finished building the porch. We are done now and could not be happier. After having my wife do all the permit applications for the porch she decided we would pay someone else to do that for us.

I consider our permit office the department of commerce prevention here. Our PB woefully told us he had to take 3 trips to get the permits and waited most of the day each time. At least in Texas they kick you out of line at 11, in FL they close the doors at 4:55pm no matter how long you've been there. And don't even ask about names called while feeding parking meters and contradictory requirements, and...

Then, we failed twice for bogus stuff and each failure carries a $37 re-inspection fee which can be paid in person (parking meters) or by FAX! (who has a fax?). And the second one we finally paid despite EVERYONE agreeing it was their fault, not ours, but no one would agree to reverse it (or even admit they COULD reverse it), no matter how many times we won the argument that there was no way for anyone to know... oh, I'm discouraged now - I always fantasized that Texas was better and Florida was only a mess because we all brought our dysfunction down with us from the Northeast.

But I digress... it looks like a really nice pool - can't wait to see it come together.

Texas is better, if we get too annoyed we just shoot the permit agent. :mrgreen:

Just kidding, of course we don't!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.