New Pool build Baytown Tx

I only have rock around the back side of the pool (from the grotto to the spa.) I did find out, that it's going to be hard to stand on for brushing the walls because it's uneven. Right now I'm in the "watering the gunite" stage.. if I fell in the pool, it would not be fun. (No water yet.) The rest of the pool we picked flagstone (dark shaded.) You can google pool tile and see all types of images. Our PB uses Noble Tile http://www.nobletile.com/index.html It might give you some ideas.. Good luck!

13 hours later the gunite is complete. Gunite foreman said it took 9.5 trucks of material. Ended up 138 perimeter feet. Totally impressed with how it came out. The lazy river ended up 7 feet at it's widest point and narrows down at the exit to 6.5 feet. The spa will hold 10 people and turned out much larger than I expected. PB said he will try to have the 2 one ton rocks for the Grotto set this Thursday but it could be delayed so we will be in a holding pattern until then. PB estimated it will hold 49 to 50k gallons of water. Here are the latest pics.

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

I have a few print outs of what I was thinking that I will show him. The PB did say that a single rock will not be able to cover the whole width of the grotto. I was disappointed to hear that. He said he will place two 1 ton rocks on each side to support the jumping rock/waterfall. He said he will have to use two rocks that will join in the center of the grotto for the waterfall/jumping rock and place several other heavy rocks to support each half as he builds up the height. I sure hope it turns out like I planned. I did draw up the sketch for what I wanted and so far it has exceeded my expectations. So far I'm impressed with the pool builder as he did not like a couple of things he saw and went out of his way to make them right and I was happy the way they were until he pointed them out to me. This is my 1st pool build so I'm a rookie and doing my best to research and do it right the first time. Thanks to all for the kind words and I will keep updating as it comes along.

imrodee said:
Show your pb an exact pic of the grotto you want. And the crew. There are many styles.

The island was supposed to hold the stern of a pirates ship that had a tube slide coming out of it but after seeing the size of the island I don't think it will fit so we are looking for other options. Hindsight I wish I would have shaped the island as a sunken pirates ship with the mast sticking up out of the island/pirates ship and put a rope swing off the mast for the kids to swing off of. O'well that's part of poor planning I guess. I'm now thinking of putting a small live palm tree on it with a water cannon for the kids to spray across the pool since I did have water and low voltage electricity piped to it. The island will also have a bamboo bridge connecting it to the outside pool deck so I have to consider it as well as far as adding stuff to the island. The neighbor wished I would have made it into a sunken bar which really sounded cool. Too late for that now. I'm thinking about splitting the water flow to the island and adding 2 of the water fountains that arch over into the pool with each having there own light. I'm not sure what they are called but I'll talk with the PB. Any other cool ideas you can think of I could do send them my way so I can get it done before it's too late. We also moved away from the pirate ship bow on the outside decking due to the island issue and were thinking of putting up one of the commercial type 19' tall tube slides that drop off into the deep end. Send me some ideas. Thanks for any help given.

bpricedo said:
What is going to be in the "island" the lazy river flows around?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry my last post was short - I was at a stop light. I wanted a tiered top on our grotto - not just a single flat rock. So I had to find a pic, show the PB... then I took my iPad out to the rock guy, and asked him if he could do that. I'm so glad I did! No regrets that way.
My brain is trying to figure out how to do that top with the two rocks..... :study:

Here is a cool video.. I like the window idea he had.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYOzApN ... re=related

Also - Here's a webpage that shows different styles http://www.replicationsunlimited.com/grotto.htm

I like your palm tree idea... I saw one on one of these forums. I'll look for it.. You have so many great options with that island. Good idea to put electricity out there. Your PB sounds like a great guy. It's alot of cash to just hand over to someone you only met 3 or 4 times, hoping he's a stand-up guy! I did the referral thing, called and visited. We lucked out - so far!

I'm glad you stuck with the LED's It's going to be an amazing pool. :party:

PS.. Make sure you put "shelves" in your grotto that will hold your beverages. Not the sticking out kind of shelf, a dent in the wall kind. I'd take a photo of mine... but I can't. There are spiders taking up residence in our empty pool and I'm not going near there. :shock:

mr.rongilbert said:
Hey Waterworx, where are you at in Baytown? I am just to the east in Mt. Belvieu...

Also - who is doing your pool? Looks like it is coming along nicely, you are going to really enjoy that thing.

I live in Beach City it has a Baytown address. I ran into Shawn Hantz that had that show on A&E "Flipped Off" and started talking with him about my pool. He wanted to get the construction of the pool on his show but they are still in negotiations for the next season and I did not want to wait.

Shawn referred me to the pool builder he uses David Freeman with Atlantis Pool Scapes out of Cypress Tx. I contacted 4 different pool builders to bid on my pool drawing and they were all over the place as far as dimensions and price.

Me and Shawn have become pretty good friends and I was telling him what I really wanted and how much I wanted to spend. I had one bid that was lower than expected. When Shawn and David showed up and went over his pool bid he said it would cost me 134k.

I showed him the drawing I had from the lowest pool bid I had. The pool David had drawn up was quite larger than I wanted and also had a 2nd bridge (went over a small stream feeding into the pool) that was in my original drawing that I ended up removing due to cost. David looked at the drawing and everything that was included and said he could beat it by 2k and I asked when could he start. I had already done all the necessary research checking out their previous work and BBB ratings etc from each pool builder.

Shawn really wanted the job bad as well because he is trying to get established in our area and wants to use our pool to show what kind of work they can do. Shawn put the sign of his company Flipping Hantz Brothers in my yard trying to get more jobs.

imrodee said:
Here is a pool with a pirate ship and a slide - I ran across this while looking up diamond brite colors: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 27461.html

I did see that pool and it looks really nice. It is what gave me the idea to go with a big tube slide instead of the pirate ship here is the link below to the pirate ship I wanted to do but I don't have the room for the stern on the island. We wanted to put the bow with rope swing on the outside edge of the pool and the stern with tube slide on the island and connect both with a rope bridge. After pricing the pirate ship from this place I was going to see if someone local could build it. They want 40k for the pirate ship in the pictures which is crazy and that does not include shipping or setup.

http://www.danielswoodland.com/custom_tree_houses/pirates/pirate_oasis.php

That pirate pool looks amazing, almost like a theme park pool.. I agree, $40,000 for the ship is a ridiculous amount of money. Especially since you might get tired of the thing when the kids grow up. NOT that it's not beautiful.. it surely is..
I know you'll figure something out. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.