New Pool - Austin, TX - Build

IMG_2398.jpgIMG_2395.jpgIMG_2394.jpg

Hello all - updates - so officially my pool budget is blown - the engineer came and explained that the 2 houses in our street (my neighbor's and mine had fill as they sit higher) - though I still do not believe that the fill is more than 3 feet....anyways to make a long story short - I was anyways in the hole (literally and figuratively speaking) - so there was no way to back out of the project without spending more money (had to pay PB to dig the hole - dirt was removed - now have to buy dirt and again pay to fill hole back) - the pool was dug a few feet more and then gravel was brought in - compacted - and we have double steel and there will be a double matt (whatever that means :))....Plumber came in today - dealing with some rain - but just thought I would update (pics added)

Update - its been a quiet 10 days after the plumber finished his work - finally got a text msg from PB - Gunite is scheduled for Friday (hopefully it does not get delayed)

If anyone can offer any advice if I can get anything else done - should I call a sprinkler guy now/call landscaping - anything else I can get done?

This may be a perfect time to have the sprinkler and landscaper folks come out and take a look. Those folks are usually booked this time of year and it will give you some idea as to the cost.

If at all possible be there for the shoot. That way if there are any question, concerns, or ideas it is best YOU are the one to have a say it how it is done or not done. I would make sure there is a current copy of the pool plan out for them to use or make sure they have their own copy of the current plan.

Kim:kim:

Update - its been a quiet 10 days after the plumber finished his work - finally got a text msg from PB - Gunite is scheduled for Friday (hopefully it does not get delayed)

If anyone can offer any advice if I can get anything else done - should I call a sprinkler guy now/call landscaping - anything else I can get done?

Just wandered over here... I had my pool rebuilt this spring and a whole new deck installled. My PB suggested I get some Umbrella Holder's to install into the new concrete deck. Like these. Or these. They cost <$20 each and my PB installed them for nothing, he just sticks them in the wet concrete right before the final smoothing, nice and perfectly flush with the surface. Here is a link to what they would look like installed.

I had 9 of them installed all around my pool in areas where we would sit, so we had instant umbrella bases without those big, bulky heavy cement or sand or water filled bases. They are capped when not in use and flush with the deck. We move 2 or 3 umbrella's around from hole to hole based on the time of day or where people congregate.

Pro tip, don't make this mistake: I did what I thought was the smart thing and checked out the sun angle and placed these strategically around where I knew we would be sitting, including around the steps in the shallow end and the spa. But I did this in February, when the sun was low in the sky, and they worked perfectly when the deck was poured in late February. But now, the placements and the sun angle at/around summer solstice are much different and the permanent placements I thought I had brilliantly made, are not so great in the hot overhead summer sun. In the end ours still work very well but placement wasn't as perfect as I thought it was back in February.

If you have these installed, determine the summer sun and its angles vs your placement, but maybe place a few extra for winter seating when the sun is lower. You really can't go back and add these after the concrete deck dries, so get the placement right the based on summer/winter sun angles. Also they only fit 1.5" umbrella poles, so no large offset umbrella's with larger poles will work.

Happy pool building.

Where you there while they worked? Did they suggest any changes or ideas?

It is time for YOUR set of links! It is a lot of info. It will all start to sink in when you start using it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

It is also time to ask what test kit the PB will be providing. Let us know which one it is so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: RiteWater

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Kim, ctrav - they never asked me for any changes - I have been watering thrice a day - have noticed a few things that trouble me - from the pic you can see rebar sticking out of the gunite - dont know how they plan to fix that - also on the deep end of the pool the two pillar like structures were not looking the same - the PB supervisor told me since its going to be underwater no one will notice - was really not happy with that answer - they tried to fix it - but my wife after coming from work immediately noticed....PB is coming tomorrow to take a look (he told my wife over the phone he will get the mason to fix that while doing the tile and coping)

As far as the test kit is concerned I have already bought - TF-100 Start Up (TF-100 kit, Speedstir, Skimmer Angel, Wall Whale brush) - will not depend on the PB's test kit

Attachments

• IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 198
That rebar has to be removed by at least 1/2" then the hole filled back in. If it is fixed the proper way the steel will rust and it will bleed through the plaster :(

The columns-picture please. "It will be underwater so no one will notice" ??? REALLY! That is how much he cares about his work?? NOPE!

Great job catching the errors! Stick to your guns and make them fix it...

Awesome test kit and you will get it down quickly. While waiting on the pool you can practice a few things with the home tap water if this is the same you will use for fill...

That rebar has to be removed by at least 1/2" then the hole filled back in. If it is fixed the proper way the steel will rust and it will bleed through the plaster :(

The columns-picture please. "It will be underwater so no one will notice" ??? REALLY! That is how much he cares about his work?? NOPE!

I had a long conversation with him this morning - just brushed aside a lot of my concerns - said he has been building pools for many many years - said he never claimed to build a perfect pool and there will be imperfections as it is done by hand and imperfections are within tolerance - thend all of a sudden said I am getting the sense you are not happy with me - I am willing to terminate contract and walk away - I am already in the hole (paid a lot of money already - add to the fact my budget has been blown out due to the "expansive clay") - had to explain my position and he finally calmed down......but am really not happy with these threats - has become a nightmare project

I had a long conversation with him this morning - just brushed aside a lot of my concerns - said he has been building pools for many many years - said he never claimed to build a perfect pool and there will be imperfections as it is done by hand and imperfections are within tolerance - thend all of a sudden said I am getting the sense you are not happy with me - I am willing to terminate contract and walk away - I am already in the hole (paid a lot of money already - add to the fact my budget has been blown out due to the "expansive clay") - had to explain my position and he finally calmed down......but am really not happy with these threats - has become a nightmare project

The threat to walk is a bit ridiculous - I assume he's been paid for more than what he's really completed and he knows it would be nearly impossible to find someone else to finish (I am assuming). These are big ticket items and getting threatened by the person you've paid that much is uncalled for.

I am so sorry it has taken this turn.....he is hoping you will back off. NOT good practice. I would write him an email WITH the rebar picture asking him how he is going to have this fixed. I would also ask him about the column picture asking the same question. This is getting your concerns in writing. I am hoping it is not going to be a legal case but you have to get the stage set just in case :(

After a long delay the masons arrived this morning and have started working on the coping and the tile - pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 135

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.