New Pool and Not Sure what to do

No worries Chris. I’m going to have to learn more about the VS pump because I was under the impression it just runs on a schedule. However if my features are on is it backing off?
Tortuga,

I can't tell how it is supposed to be controlled without more information. Do you have Jandy automation, a timer, or something like this. This model doesn't appear to have an internal timer like many others on the market. They can use it to do basic schedule control. I would ask the builder how you're supposed to schedule the pump and use multiple speeds. I'll ask ask somebody that knows more about this pump to opine. @ajw22 can you help with the Jandy Vs pump model Jandy VSFHP270DV2A Tortuga has? I don't see an internal timer.

Chris

That's great, Do you know the model of the Jandy automation? Hopefully its their RS system. It will be able to be set up such that it controls schedule and speed. You'll be able to configure completely through your phone or a desktop/laptop. Or you can manually control from your phone app. Most of the time you'll run at a higher speed to start so you skim the water and clean debris. This usually doesn't take all that long. Then the rest of the run is at a lower speed that stays a low speed that's enough to provide minimum flow to your swg.

Sounds like you have the Aqualink PS4 and with the optional iAqualink 2.0. The PS4 designation means it has ability to handle 4 aux relays and your standard installation only requires 2 of these. The PS designation means pool and spa so it has the capability to switch between pool mode and spa mode easily. Just be sure to stay away from the Z4 model. It's very inexpensive but also has very limited capability to expand. I much prefer Pentair and Hayward's automation products but that's driven by two factors that may not matter to you. First, the Intellicenter is state of the art modular design that's easy to expand and upgrade plus it has a lot of advanced feature not available in the Jandy; it's also more expensive. Second, Jandy provide zero warranty for DIY on anything you add in the future. If these don't matter to you the Jandy system plus their phone interface work very well. I used my Jandy RS system for several years before a lightning strike took one of the components and I chose to change to Pentair Intellicenter since Jandy parts were getting much harder to find for DIY. We also swim sever days per week year-round and have a solar heater plus a gas heater, swg, and VS pump. Some of the advanced feature make a bigger difference to us than most. A lot of pool choices are driven by personal preference not right-wrong decisions.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Tortuga353
Great info! That is kind of where I was leaning that it was iAqualink 2.0 and PS4, but a manual I found had RS listed on it so wasn’t sure. I think that will do well for now and will be a huge improvement to the PDA remote. Another, oh yeah you wanted cell phone automation... oh well. If I find I need to upgrade due to expansion limits or anything. I know where to seek advice!

Sounds like you have the Aqualink PS4 and with the optional iAqualink 2.0. The PS4 designation means it has ability to handle 4 aux relays and your standard installation only requires 2 of these. The PS designation means pool and spa so it has the capability to switch between pool mode and spa mode easily. Just be sure to stay away from the Z4 model. It's very inexpensive but also has very limited capability to expand. I much prefer Pentair and Hayward's automation products but that's driven by two factors that may not matter to you. First, the Intellicenter is state of the art modular design that's easy to expand and upgrade plus it has a lot of advanced feature not available in the Jandy; it's also more expensive. Second, Jandy provide zero warranty for DIY on anything you add in the future. If these don't matter to you the Jandy system plus their phone interface work very well. I used my Jandy RS system for several years before a lightning strike took one of the components and I chose to change to Pentair Intellicenter since Jandy parts were getting much harder to find for DIY. We also swim sever days per week year-round and have a solar heater plus a gas heater, swg, and VS pump. Some of the advanced feature make a bigger difference to us than most. A lot of pool choices are driven by personal preference not right-wrong decisions.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I would run through them all. See where you are. All of the tests are important for your water balance even if you have a vinyl pool.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not bad! Just get that FC up with liquid chlorine asap to the recommended level. As soon as you're done with that add CYA granules to get your CYA level to 60+. Do an OCLT test tonight to be sure you are algae free. Then you're on your way to TFP pool bliss!

How did you measure salt content? If you don't have a Taylor K1766 get one as soon as you can.

Chris

Ok, I’ll have to look at OCLT test but assume I check FC and TC and make sure I’m not going down.

CYA granules I do not have those yet. Can I get them at HD or Walmart?

Salt content is just off Jandy sensor. I’ll order a salt test kit.

Not bad! Just get that FC up with liquid chlorine asap to the recommended level. As soon as you're done with that add CYA granules to get your CYA level to 60+. Do an OCLT test tonight to be sure you are algae free. Then you're on your way to TFP pool bliss!

How did you measure salt content? If you don't have a Taylor K1766 get one as soon as you can.

Chris

Ok, I’ll have to look at OCLT test but assume I check FC and TC and make sure I’m not going down.

CYA granules I do not have those yet. Can I get them at HD or Walmart?

Salt content is just off Jandy sensor. I’ll order a salt test kit.
Yes, get granules at any big box store. Make sure it's only Cyanuric Acid with no additives. I usually get them in a bag that has a resealable zip lock bag. Put the amount required in a sock or lady's stocking and put it in the skimmer. Squeeze it a couple times per day and it will dissolve in 2 days. When you use Pool Math you'll see it will also drop your pH so don't adjust pH 'till after the granules dissolve and the pH rises again. FC is all that matters for the OCLT test. Use the FAS-DPD not the oto test. You can also use Pool Math to estimate your initial SWG settings. Go to "effects of adding" and select swg then select your chlorinator model. Change the % power and run time boxes to see the amount of FC (in ppm) that's added. Typical needed for this time of year is about 3 ppm. But this is highly depended on your specific pool. I'd start there. Also, don't try to over-manage it. This will drive you nuts. Just try to get it set so that FC ranges from target to a few ppm above. Test your FC, CC, and pH frequently (I did daily) 'till you get to know your pool. Pretty soon you'll see how your pool trends and reacts. I test the others way less frequently. But it's probably a good idea to do this monthly to start.

It's amazing how easy pool care gets with a TFP salt pool!

I hope this helps!

Chris

Last edited:
  • Love
oh yeah.... you'll LOVE skimmer socks during pollen season. It will save your filter from all that schmutz!! If someone has a lot of debris that falls in the socks work wonders.

As to the skimmer, I'd just turn the pump off, lift out the basket and brush it up to get into the water there in the skimmer space, then turn the pump back on so your filter can catch it.

Maddie

Added 1 gallon Publix beach 7.2% 8pm

OCLT Test Tesults
9:15pm Sample Results
FC- 5.5
CC- .5
TC- 6.0

6:00am Sample Results
FC- 5.5
CC- 0
TC- 5.5

The speed stir and light is pretty awesome. I was a little surprised there was no measurable chlorine drop but I guess that’s a good thing.

Didn’t get to the store yesterday for the CYA but will go today.

Ordered some skimmer socks and the K1766 test to verify salt Content.

Added 1 gallon Publix beach 7.2% 8pm

OCLT Test Tesults
9:15pm Sample Results
FC- 5.5
CC- .5
TC- 6.0

6:00am Sample Results
FC- 5.5
CC- 0
TC- 5.5

The speed stir and light is pretty awesome. I was a little surprised there was no measurable chlorine drop but I guess that’s a good thing.

Didn’t get to the store yesterday for the CYA but will go today.

Ordered some skimmer socks and the K1766 test to verify salt Content.
Great. Just confirms you're on your way to TFP pool. You'll go through a LOT of FC till you get that CYA up. Make sure to supplement with liquid chlorine to stay at target or above. Try to get pool chlorine at big box stores. Way better value and stronger. 10% at least. Make sure the Publix brand has no addatives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.