New Pool, add SWC to build or DIY

zam

Sep 9, 2018
Washington/DC
I have done my research, searched here and it seems adding a SWC is something that a DIY inclined person can do. I am thus inclined, willing to learn, and am patient so I am not scared of doing it but I guess the question is, is it worth it. The PB wants what I believe to be a huge markup on their salt water chlorinator, Jandy AquaPure at $2400. They will use all Jandy equipment on the pool, and online it looks like the AquaPure can be purchased for $1000, and I imagine $100 for other parts. Should I save myself the trouble and just pay the PB? Should I do it myself and possibly go Hayward T-15? Is there any negative effect in starting up a new pool with regular chlorine and then switching to Salt when the surface has cured in about a months time? The pool is on the small size, 12k - 14k gallons, under 400 sq ft. I also might add the Jandy iaqualink in the future the myself, but that is not a given and I don't think either of those units need a controller. Thanks ahead of time.

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

Always double the size of the SWCG for the pool. So, yo basically have a 15,000 gallon pool so you want a 30,000 gallon rated SWCG.

The thing to remember, a salt pool is a chlorine pool. You are just manufacturing the chlorine on site inside the pipe. So, no, no difference how you start it up. As a matter of fact once you add the salt you need to wait until you start it so you will be using "regular" chlorine for a while.

If you are looking at automation in the future stick with one brand of everything. Mix/Match doesn't work well sometimes.

If you are handy I say do it yourself as long as you have the "space" to do it. Each manufacturer has requirements for where the SWCG should be installed. Things like X inches of straight pipe or not within X inches of an elbow.

Post a photo of your equipment pad so our experts can comment.

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

On a side note, I worked in DC twice for about 8 years. Lived in Annapolis and Vienna. I'm happy to be out of the traffic!

Thanks for the information, this is for a new build. Still ironing out details but the pool does not exist. Even the size is preliminary and since its free form with a bend it's going to be less than those 15000 gallons, more than likely 12000. I am looking at 40000 gallon cells, the Jandy and the Hayward. I just need to make sure I get a variable or 2 speed pump, that there is room in the pad, and preferably a sub panel by the equipment, although I do have a sub panel in the garage. Based on my research adding automation is pretty much another sub panel and I would have to remove all the connections to the garage sub panem and just run the appropriate wires for the automation. 80 - 100 amp, 3# or larger.

So is there any reason why I shouldn't just do this myself when the pool is 1 month old and the surface has cured? Would I simply use bleach / or chlorine sticks before that? Is the process of going from a normal chlorinated to saltwater complex or simply add the chlorinator when pool parameters are ok?

You can certainly do it your self. You may not get the warranty as some manufacturers limit the warranty on DIY install.

You would use bleach after adding CYA prior to adding salt and installing the SWCG.

There are no 'special' parameters for a salt water pool. The levels may be slightly different, but that is all.

Zam, you will love how easy a SWG pool is to care for.

The only thing to remember is that a SWG works slowly. You just can't expect the device to take your pool up from zero to x amount of FC before algae may take hold.

So instead If you need a large increase in FC its best to use liquid chlorine for that immediate "blast effect" and then let the SWG *maintain* the FC.

Maddie :flower:

All but the very small SWCG's are self cleaning.

Not sure what "target salt specificity" means??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a similar situation. This is what I would suggest. Whether you go pro or DIY, have the PB leave room for the SWG now, and then both buy it and install it in the spring. At his asking price, he's giving you no discount to do the SWG install at the same time as everything else, that's for sure. It sounds like he's clipping you four figures for a simple hour of work.

It's DC? It's going to be cold and the water will be cold. SWGs don't work in cold water, about 50° is the cutoff (depending on brand). So don't even buy the thing until you're ready to use it come pool season. Some are finicky, and all are somewhat complicated devices, so don't lose half your warranty waiting for the water to warm up. Start your warranty period on the first day you can actually use the thing.

You mentioned "free form." That sounds like a plaster/pebble pool. You don't even add salt for a month, but why push it? When will the pool be completed? I resurfaced last fall. Just in time for cold water. I ran my pool until spring as a non-swg pool, with liquid chlorine. This gave my SWG a break, and allowed my plaster some extra salt-free cure time. 30 days is minimum recommended. Why not play it safe? I added salt and extra CYA in the spring, and fired up the SWG then. Win-win-win!

One caveat: some manufacturers will give you an extended warranty if you buy and install certain clusters of equipment all at once. Mine gave me three years instead of one by buying altogether. So once you figure out what brand(s) you're buying, that's something to factor.

I am fairly certain specificity is used to measure salt in water, I have a reef aquarium and I believe that is the term. I might be wrong, but the question was more like set the amount of chlorine you want in the water and the SWC does the rest, no need to adjust.

Then no, a SWCG does not do that. You set the % generation and pump run time and from that it creates X amount of chlorine or FC in your pool each 24 hours. You then test your FC every day and adjust it, if necessary, to maintain your FC at the target level based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Eventually, you will get a feel for your pool and will not have to test daily.

I am fairly certain specificity is used to measure salt in water, I have a reef aquarium and I believe that is the term. I might be wrong, but the question was more like set the amount of chlorine you want in the water and the SWC does the rest, no need to adjust.

There are machines sold with the claim to be able to do that, but they are expensive and don't work all that well. The fact is, no matter what device you use to sanitize your pool, you have to test the water often anyway, even if it is only to determine that your gizmo is working. There is no set-it-and-forget-it solution. So you test every so often and every once is a great while you push a button to adjust your output. That's it. I've adjusted my SWG just a few times since firing it up. It all just works...

The SWG manufactures a certain amount of chlorine per day, and your pool consumes a certain percent of chlorine per day. Over time the two reach an equilibrium.

eg if your machine generates 1ppm, and the pool loses 20% a day then it will reach an equilibrium of ~1ppm/0.2 = 5ppm

As the seasons change and the pool consumes more/less chlorine each day you can adjust the run time or power levels to maintain the same chlorine level.

thank you for all the information, like Dirk said that is what the PB sales guy said with the Jandy AquaPure that it was set it and forget it but clearly one still has to make adjustments. I think the unit might just give more information than their TruClear

Are you getting an automation controller? When it comes to which brand of SWG to purchase, consider: your automation controller, your pump(s) and your SWG should all be of the same brand and compatible. This ensures you'll get the best performance from each unit. If you're not planning automation now, but might "someday," think about brands now, to future-proof your buying decision.

Just to clarify, while your sales guy might have said "set it and forget it," I was warning of the opposite, there is no set-it-and-forget-it solution for pool chemicals...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.