New plaster - Initial startup questions.

Apr 28, 2017
San Angelo, TX
Sorry for the repost. I initially posted this in the pool startup and closing forum, but I think it would be better here.

Hello! I have a 20,000 gallon gunite pool that we completed replastering yesterday. The pool finished filling over-night and now I have set to work trying to get the water adjusted. The plaster is quartzscape, so I am following the startup procedures given here: http://www.nptpool.com/finishes/overview

I have a few questions I'm hoping I can get some help with.

1) Initial pH reading is 7.5, but TA is 370! I know I need to lower pH to 7 and aerate to raise pH. I have a waterfall that will serve that purpose well, so I plan to add 198 oz of 33% muratic acid. Seems like getting the TA right will be a long process. Will this cause problems with my plaster in the meantime?

2) I went to Leslie's to get a sequestrant, and they didn't even know what that was. I finally found The Blue Stuff or another one called MetalFree. I bought the MetalFree because he girl working there said they sell a lot more of it, but I am not very confident putting this in my pool based on her recommendation. Is MetalFre even a sequestrant? Will it be ok for my new plaster?

3) I have read several places on here about starting new plaster and they all say no swimming during the break-in phase, but nowhere defines what that is. Does that mean no swimming for 28 days if I am following he guidelines on the link above, or is it ok to swim once I have the pool water balanced and chlorinated peoperly (day 4 or 5)

Thanks for your help! I have already learned a tremendous amount in the last 2 weeks thanks to you geniuses here and I am SO greatful that you will be here to help me along through this process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.