New Pentair intellitouch 3hp and Pentair solar touch

Apr 17, 2016
Orlando, FL.
Good afternoon.

I just purchased an Pentair Intelliflo 3hp and solar touch controller.

I live in Florida and I’m trying to determine how to program the pump for the best filtration and energy savings.

The Intelliflo will automatically increase the speed of the pump with the Solar Touch needs to be turned on but how should I schedule the rest of the programming? The installer said this is the first time they have installed this combo and didn’t seem to know how to program.

thanks.

just,

The whole point of a VS pump is to save on the electrical bill.. I run my pump at about 1200 RPM most of the time.

How long you run your pump depends on what you are trying to do.. You need to run the pump long enough to skim the water to your satisfaction.. For some this may be for a couple of hours, for others it may be 12 hour or more.. It is up to you.

Another thing you want the pump to run for the time it takes to chlorinate your pool.. If you have a saltwater pool, you will have to run the pump long enough for the salt cell to generate the chlorine your pool needs.. If you are using a tablet feeder, you will have to run long enough an fast enough to make the tab feeder work..

This is one of those things where one size does not fit everyone.. You will need to experiment to see what works for you..

I have a saltwater pool and I like to generate a little chlorine all the time. I also like to skim all the time. So, in my case, I run 24/7, to satisfy my personal needs. To do that cost me less than $20 bucks a month, so the cost is not an issue.

There is no right or wrong answer for this one..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks so much for your quick response. I like your ideas. I guess what I have to do now is figure out how to program it. I know that the solar controller will boost the speed of the pump automatically when the heat / cooling needs to happen, but beyond that I’m not sure how to do the rest of the programming. It’s a shame the installer didn’t know, maybe I need to find someone who is qualified locally.

i was tied to the installer I used because of a home warranty pump replacement.

Just,

I have an automation system, so have never actually programmed the pump.. But I did look through the manual and it seems that following the manual should work.

I suggest that you program the VS using RPM and forget about the GPM.. It will just make things simpler for you.

Try and see how it works.. If you run into a problem, let us know..

What specific IntelliFlo model did you get???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Intelliflow VSP pump:
The Solar touch takes over three of your four speeds.
Speed 1 is your own speed for when solar is off. (No heat to add to pool)
Speed 2 is your “solar valve open” speed (heating or cooling)
Speed 3 is “freeze protect” IOW, turns on when it’s in danger of freezing.
Speed 4 is “solar hold” .
SOLAR HOLD:
When your system calls for heat, Solar Hold (speed 4) runs for 5 minutes, valve closed.
After that 5 minutes, the valve opens but you are still on speed 4.
After 5 minutes of speed 4 valve open, it goes to speed 2 for normal solar running.
When the pool is warm enough, it shuts off and you are back on Speed 1
NOTE: the function that allows the Solar Touch to turn the pump on by itself when it calls for heat (or cool), is OFF BY DEFAULT. You need to turn Solar Overide on in the Solar Touch menu.
Tip: you can disconned the Solar Touch connector from the motor to adjust the speeds. Or if you are quick you can do it while it’s running.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you, thank you Chuckie. This was super helpful and I was finally able to get my pump to run full speed until I get it adjusted.
One other question. Will I be able to use the timers and speed in conjunction? Or am I tied to a single speed when the pump is on and a single speed when the solar is engaged?

Speeds 1, 5,6,7,& 8 are all yours, but when the Solar is on, it overrides them all.
Also “quick clean” is handy to set for all the water features when you have a party. You can set the speed and duration to suit your needs.
You will want “solar hold” (speed 4) to be set high enough to evacuate all the air in your panels asap without over pressurizing them. Then when it reverts to Speed 2 you will set Speed 2 for the best flow for the most heat.
Also, set your “Water” temperature (in the utility menu) to the actual temperature either off your salt generator if you have one, or a pump return using a thermometer. It’s nice to know your water is actually 85 or whatever when the solar says it is. There is normally no need to mess with “Solar” that is panel temperature.
I’m pleased to be of help.

I use an EasyTouch, so don't know the SolarTouch. Will the SolarTouch allow adjustment of the RPMs while in speed 2 (normal solar heating)? Solar panels all have an optimum flow rate, the rate at which the water will be heated most efficiently, so that your pool is heated most efficiently, expressed in GPM (gallons per minute). Different panels will have different optimum rates. Number of panels is also a factor. A GPM too low will feel warmer at the return, but actually not heat the pool as well (there's physics to that). A GPM too high will waste electricity heating your pool. I determined my optimum GPM from the panel manufacturer's owner manual (5GPM per panel times 8 panels equals 40GPM). I then use my FlowVis flow meter to dial in my pump's solar heating RPM setting to achieve exactly 40GPM. That gives me the best heat in the pool at the lowest cost. Without a meter, I'd have no way of knowing the best RPM. If your solar heating plumbing has a Jandy check valve, FlowVis sells a variation that retrofits right into that check valve (the FlowVis is also a check valve). If not, then there is a model that replaces the existing check valve. Throughout the year, as my filter collects and impedes flow through my plumbing, I can adjust my pump's RPM up to counteract, using the FlowVis. Then back down after my annual filter cleaning. That also maintains the optimum flow for my SWG and vacuum. They're not cheap, the Vis, but I use it all the time... Just a thought, if you want to squeeze the most out of your heater and keep your costs down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.