New owner, opening with cloudy water

Yep, patience. My filter cartridge was compromised. I was running my pump 24/7. It took almost 2 week after I got the new filter cartridge before my water cleared completely. That was running at 24/7.

I did use clarifier before I found TFP. But that was with the old filter cartridge that was compromised.

Wouldn't hurt to use new sand. I hate clarifier and floc. Have a bottle of each with my pool stuff, and now that I found TFP I don't know what to do with it. Seems wrong to thrust about some poor pool owner that is ignorant of TFP methods.

Pool School talks about adding some DE to your sand too, since dirty sand typically filters more efficiently than clean sand.

Pool Owner Patience for sure. We did put in new sand this year, but that was before 1 bottle of Floc. I will give SLAM some more time before I think about possibly deep cleaning the filter. I do see slow progress and I'm backwashing a lot less so I'm going to stick with it.

Yeah we have old chemicals from the previous owners too...still sitting in the garage.

I did read in Pool School about adding DE to the sand, so I am keeping that option in my back pocket, too. My goal is to be done with SLAM by the July 4th - 1 more week!

That it an impressive deck. You have a nice place to cool off.

I have been brushing my pool walls and floor during SLAM, but now I would like to vacuum. I don't have debris any more, so by vacuuming I am hoping to stir up any smaller particle stuff that still might be on the floor. Should I vacuum to waste or to filter? I have a basic triangle weighted pool vacuum head.

I have been brushing my pool walls and floor during SLAM, but now I would like to vacuum. I don't have debris any more, so by vacuuming I am hoping to stir up any smaller particle stuff that still might be on the floor. Should I vacuum to waste or to filter? I have a basic triangle weighted pool vacuum head.

To waste. It is going to be a lot of dead algae. Waste option is great because it won't send all that dead algae to your filter.

If it's a lot of crud on the bottom you can go to waste. If you're just looking to vacuum up stuff that isn't super-visible you can go to filter to save the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.