Silver Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently purchased a home in Orange County with an older pool. The equipment has been updated over the years and is ready for another updating. I have already learned a lot from this excellent site and had some great interaction with the members.

Here are the pool specs.

Built in the 1970s
Vinyl liner
45' x 20' rectangle
Approximately 8' deep at the deep end and 3' deep at the shallow end. The bottom gets slowly deeper to about 5' at the middle and then drops off to the deep end.
One drain
One skimmer on a 2" line
Three returns on a 1.5" line
Hayward DE4820 filter
Century single speed pump Total HP 1.95, pump rated at 1.5 HP
Inoperative FAFCO solar controller
4 4x10' solar panels on the roof there's about 120' of 2" piping to the roof

Current Status is the pool needs a good vacuuming. There is no suction side automatic vacuum robot, only the hose, a manual vacuum, & a brush.

I tested the water last week and got some basic numbers.

Free Chlorine 3ppm
Alkalinity 100ppm
Ph. 7.4

I'll have my big test kit later this week.

Current plans

1. Have a safety net installed over the pool or do it myself
2. Vacuum the pool. Mostly leaves from the arborvitae trees
3. Disassemble the DE filter, clean the grids, & service
4. Get the pool in the right place chemically
5. Build an equipment enclosure to keep the sun off the equipment and the kids from getting near it.
6. Replace the single speed pump with an appropriately sized VS pump
7. Install a solar controller that's compatible with the VS pump
8. Maybe next year install 4x20' solar panels instead of the 4x10s

For item 1 I have All-Safe pools coming out to give a quote for a net. I'm perfectly capable of setting the anchors and ordering a net myself. It just depends on how much they want to charge for the service. I think a soccer style safety net is going to cost around $1000 for the parts.

Item 4 I'm reading the process here. I know I can get bottles of Clorox bleach at Costco but we also have Walmart and Home Depot nearby.

Item 5 I'm thinking a structure out of vinyl or wood where I can make the sides open up as well as the front for servicing.

Item 6 with at least 45' of head with the solar running wouldn't it be best to run something like the Intelliflo 11018? My dad thinks that's too much pump and I should be looking at the Superflo pump to save some money. I'm sure my single skimmer and 1.5" return limit the flow.

Item 7 I like that the Pentair controller will increase pump rpm when the solar valve is actuated.

Hey there I am up in Yorba Linda all safe did my pool fence and I would recommend a pool fence rather than the net unless the pool is right next to Windows or doors . I was pretty dead set on getting a net myself but after speaking with the rep I decided to get the fence instead you can pull the whole fence down in about 5 minutes and put it back up if you decide that you don't want to look at it during an adult-only party

I would recommend the pool cleaner I believe Hayward bought them out

The solar panels are putting a ton of back pressure and head pressure on your pump we'll need to find something that is rated for pumping water to that height and also consider the electricity and potential wear and tear on a pump as they are hidden costs

Good luck on the DE filter clean out it is pretty satisfing hahaha I highly recommend you search for YouTube videos on how to do your particular model as easy as possible I was tearing mine all apart for years before I figured out pool boy hacks

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I am curious to see what the All safe Rep says about the net vs. fence. When I was a kid my brother fell in to a pool and was trapped underneath the solar cover. Luckily an adult found him. Unfortunately we also had our dog drown in our own pool years later.

I would like a pool cleaner as it'll reduce my labor with the pool. A friend recommended a Zodiac MX8. I know the robots are a great thing but they are nearly double the cost of the Zodiac.

I'm not even sure how long it's been since the filter was disassembled but the filter is running at 20psi right now. It'll feel good to at least start from a clean baseline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rep I had recommended fence first as it is always closed automatically behind whoever enters the pool area and can be locked while the net relies on Humans 2 install and uninstall daily. I do agree that if you are going to run a cover the net would give you extra protection especially in the winter months when it isn't getting taken off and put back on frequently but I would never skip the fence with kids I have 4 of them :) of course the first thing you need to do is poolproof your kids mine all understand the boundary and the seriousness of the consequences that come along with violating that boundary of the pool fence.

The suction side cleaner I am recommending is literally called the pool cleaner Google it it is by far the best and at only two hundred bucks or so on eBay you can't go wrong I had a Hayward Navigator 4 years and literally cursed it daily LOL

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I wonder if Hayward bought the "pool cleaner" company because now it's $351 on Amazon.

81e6cbaddb55a61cdeacce9dc54c4d78.jpg

The pool safe company came out today to evaluate my yard. In order to install a fence across the yard it would have to get quite elaborate on the east side of the yard. The kid ninjas will figure out a way to get through it. We are having the net installed next week.

I was looking at my equipment and it definitely leaves some things to be desired. First of all I need to build an enclosure. Second of all I think if I move the pump to the right of the timer I can eliminate some 90 degree fittings and have a longer horizontal section feeding the pump intake.

ec3b87699851147c4634aafdc94c08c9.jpg

781233248aa41e74df2fa43d8e9060a2.jpg

When I ran the pump today I didn't see much water movement in the skimmer. Should I be seeing the water move through there?

I cleaned out the basket with no change. The hand vacuum has probably been connected through the skimmer in the past so the line may be jammed up with arborvitae leaves. There is plenty of flow from the outlets so the pump is pulling water, probably from the dual drains in the deep end right?

So I found one of these Kreepy Krauly pool cleaners in the shed. It seems to work pretty well although it takes a long time to vacuum my 45x20 pool.

5631972130fc73cf747525d206723ca8.jpg

Is there any special maintenance for this type of cleaner? Should I check anything for wear?

All-Safe Pools is coming out on Wednesday to install the pool net. It'll be interesting to see how it works.

I also blew out the skimmer line with a bladder on my garden hose. It seems to be working just fine now with a lot of flow.

Since my last post the net has been working great. I have added a solar cover but I need to figure out a good method for laying out the cover under the net.

I did finally service my DE filter today. As you can see it was way over due. I have no idea how long it's been but my filter pressure dropped from 22psi to 11 after cleaning and adding new DE. The flow through the filter is significantly better. My Kreepy Krawly is doing a much better job but I'll probably get a robot this summer to help with the cleaning.

06c5824baf4e5abfcfa1164f83115f04.jpg
d8b18e061ccb1d43e20851940156d5e7.jpg