New Owner Build Long Island - Is it possible?

keep in mind that any pool being photographed like that in the Hamptons, has gardener staff to care for it.

Just having to meticulously mow so that no grass clippings get in the water is a huge PITN.

I'd do as Bmoreswim did.. stamped and stained concrete. Make it look fancy and like bluestone, but cheaper and cooler.

My two cents ;)

Maddie :flower:

I love the look of the Hampton’s style pool. The grass surrounding it will be a constant source of debris in your pool though. Unless you have someone looking after your pool (which you don’t really want if you plan on having a TFP) it will be a nightmare to keep clean. If your wife is set on this look then I would think about synthetic grass in the immediate area. A high quality product can look very natural. We have it under our trampoline and it’s hard to tell where it meets the real grass and it’s only medium quality.

I love the look of the Hampton’s style pool. The grass surrounding it will be a constant source of debris in your pool though. Unless you have someone looking after your pool (which you don’t really want if you plan on having a TFP) it will be a nightmare to keep clean. If your wife is set on this look then I would think about synthetic grass in the immediate area. A high quality product can look very natural. We have it under our trampoline and it’s hard to tell where it meets the real grass and it’s only medium quality.

Thanks and yes, I am appreciating this much more than she is. We do have a landscaper that cuts the grass, 1.7 acres is a bit beyond my fiskers push mower, but the pool maintenance is going to be us/her. Are grass clippings a huge PITA, or just means she's going to need a few minutes with the skimmer net to clean them out each week? I do like the idea of the turf all around though if it can be blended at the transition points, I was planning on doing small pieces over the skimmers anyway just so they didn't stand out so much.

If I was closer I would come help you.
B

Latest bid is in and I think this has to be some kind of new record. $99,989 for a 18x36 with sun ledge and plaster finish. That's it. No spa, patio, waterfall, flame thrower coming out of the middle of the pool, etc. Has anybody ever done an Owner Build in the northeast??

If the answer is it can't be done, I may be quitting my job and starting up Bulldog Pools Inc...

IMG_1096.jpg

We built our rectangle pool in grass a few years age on CT. The builder we hired usually works for well known local pool companies. Most aspects of the project were clearly in his wheelhouse but others were not and that probably had minor impact on our final product. That said, we paid half as much by working with him.

Our town has strict drainage regulations which the pool builder was not involved with. I’m not sure if this is a factor in your area but if it is, be sure you know those costs too (engineer reports, cisterns, rain garden etc.)

Our coping is bluestone. It’s a lighter shade and I don’t know the name. Strangely, the corners are a darker shade. Maybe it was easier to shape the corners. I don’t find the coping too hot. It’s actually cooler than other decking options in my opinion. And, the grass is AMAZING! It always feels cool, clean and soft on the feet.

Grass in the pool hasn’t been too difficult to manage. For the previous two summers, the lawnmower had a bag so grass clippings were removed. The machine had to be run so clipping blew away from (not toward) the coping into the bag. Now the mower minces clippings and leaves them to mulch. This has not caused more debris in pool. After mowing, we use a weed-eater around the edges. This gets a bit of grass in the pool but the skimmers easily handle it. Use skimmer socks to minimize the amount that flows to the filter if you like.

If you fence the pool, be sure the gate is wide enough to accommodate any lawnmower that will be used.

Something to keep in mind is where/how your groundwater will flow around the pool shell. Due to slope in our property, we had water flowing underground by the deep end. In addition, I kept the solar reel there so extra water was being introduced from above. It was a bit soggy and we developed a dip beside the coping which I feared would get worse. It was also an ankle twister. This year we added a brushed concrete patio by the deep end with built in drain. Now I wash off solar cover here, remove the robot etc. No more water issues.

Another thing to keep in mind with grass is location of patio furniture. Prior to the new slab, I kept all furniture in a shed and pulled out chairs as needed to avoid sprinkler issues (spraying furniture/cushions, blocking irrigation).

We opted to skip the auto cover due to both initial cost and potential cost of repairs. Rather, I have a solar blanket on a reel. I could replace those 20 times and it would still be less $ than the auto initial cost.

Around here people seem to use the mesh cover in the winter even if they have a solid safety cover. Our safety cover is attached into the grass. This has not been problematic in any way. Cover stays secure.

I hope this is helpful. Again, we love the grass!!
9f9fcfca-bbae-4d17-b8ca-d6a645dc7041

ea27803a-060f-45f2-9146-4de1cbc66667

Thanks and yes, I am appreciating this much more than she is. We do have a landscaper that cuts the grass, 1.7 acres is a bit beyond my fiskers push mower, but the pool maintenance is going to be us/her. Are grass clippings a huge PITA, or just means she's going to need a few minutes with the skimmer net to clean them out each week? I do like the idea of the turf all around though if it can be blended at the transition points, I was planning on doing small pieces over the skimmers anyway just so they didn't stand out so much.

I can’t help with how much work it will be as we have all travertine paving within our pool area with a little river rock surrounding the perimeter. We have the occasional leaf and pollen that blows in from our neighbours and that’s enough for me. I like my pool to be free of anything other than tfp water and I don’t think you will get that with grass around the entire perimeter. I would expect there would be bits of grass in the pool constantly. It will likely be a multiple times a day cleaning as opposed to weekly. An autocover would be a good solution but that would be at a significant cost. If you’re going to do go ahead with this design with the grass I would consider the autocover as almost essential though.

Additional thoughts and input (sorry if it's too much or too random):
- Our pool builder had his own excavator (his brother-in-law).
- He builds both pools and basements so maybe try calling people who dig/pour basements and see if they have pool experience.
- In our town, the pool plumbing didn't require inspection. If we had gas then that would have required inspection.
- Our equipment all came from a pool supply house in CT. I stumbled on the them when buying my robot. There is probably something similar in LI. They might be able to refer you to a builder...and maybe they can refer you to someone with stock drawings for the bldg dept.
- Thoughts on your quote
-skip the ozone
-get more specific detail on each piece of equipment
-get the other dimension on the bluestone (2x12x? - I think ours is 2x24x48)
-get a robot rather than polaris + motor
-Do you have ledge? Be sure you get rates for breaking up/removing rock (daily equip; hourly labor; removal by weight/truck load; dump fee)
-I don't see anything on your quote about electric outlet near pool. Need this for robot.
-As you think about the project, don't forgets cost of fence, soil + sod, sprinklers etc. Our fencing came from Interstate in Long Island.
-Our pool location was dictated by wetlands, well and septic. Not sure if those are issues in your area.
That quote seems too high to me based on our build.

Latest bid is in and I think this has to be some kind of new record. $99,989 for a 18x36 with sun ledge and plaster finish. That's it. No spa, patio, waterfall, flame thrower coming out of the middle of the pool, etc. Has anybody ever done an Owner Build in the northeast??

If the answer is it can't be done, I may be quitting my job and starting up Bulldog Pools Inc...

View attachment 82838

that quote is so vague. . . . i would have just said 100 k at that point.

1 light . . . 15 lights? size of them? brand even. throw me a bone here. lol

variable speed pump, filter. . . ok ya right i know. . . size. . . type. . .

uv. . . run. . . he will have a nice diner on u for the profit he makes on it.

oh the equipment is prop andy since the automation is iaqualink.

so what about electrical. . . not a work about it. . . . there is a lot that can cost to go up and down.

cleaner. . . ya go robot vs pressure side. robots are awesome!

rebar size?

returns. . . skimmers. . . 1, 2, 100? piping size? how it's laid out? dedicated? tied together?

bottom drains?

i would throw that quote back at him. tell him to come on here for an education. lol

those are just my random thoughts.

i feel for you. having to deal with stress before u even start is a pain. just not needed.

jim

ps ya know if you can't find a local company call anthony sylvan and sons. they are a country wide company. reps in areas all over. you can at least get a normal quote with details from them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Additional thoughts and input (sorry if it's too much or too random):
- Our pool builder had his own excavator (his brother-in-law).
- He builds both pools and basements so maybe try calling people who dig/pour basements and see if they have pool experience.
- In our town, the pool plumbing didn't require inspection. If we had gas then that would have required inspection.
- Our equipment all came from a pool supply house in CT. I stumbled on the them when buying my robot. There is probably something similar in LI. They might be able to refer you to a builder...and maybe they can refer you to someone with stock drawings for the bldg dept.
- Thoughts on your quote
-skip the ozone
-get more specific detail on each piece of equipment
-get the other dimension on the bluestone (2x12x? - I think ours is 2x24x48)
-get a robot rather than polaris + motor
-Do you have ledge? Be sure you get rates for breaking up/removing rock (daily equip; hourly labor; removal by weight/truck load; dump fee)
-I don't see anything on your quote about electric outlet near pool. Need this for robot.
-As you think about the project, don't forgets cost of fence, soil + sod, sprinklers etc. Our fencing came from Interstate in Long Island.
-Our pool location was dictated by wetlands, well and septic. Not sure if those are issues in your area.
That quote seems too high to me based on our build.

Definitely not too much input, please keep it coming!

As far as the excavator, one of the guys we had over here to bid on the patio (off the back of the house as opposed to around the pool) offered to give me the number of the guy he used who lives a mile away - said he would just drive the excavator right on down the road. I don't know how much experience he has digging pools, so i would want to find out about that first, but i'm wondering how much experience is really necessary if you are following a dig sheet? I wouldnt want to be his first pool, but do you guys feel like the dig shouldn't be a huge concern for me? My worry is just that a few inches off on the grade is the difference between perfect and really messed up. Although i was just at a pool yesterday (vinyl) that was done by a pool builder that had settled a few inches on one side and the waterline was at the very top of one skimmer and right in the middle of the one at the other end, so it seems like even paying a "professional" has plenty of risk.

I like the idea about the pool supply house and I'll see if they can refer me to somebody who may be willing to act as a consultant.

This PB's quote actually had me laughing, I'm not sure if they do much work out in the Hamptons or if he is just looking for me to pay his first kid's college tuition, but i did have somebody verbally say that for this size pool we would be around $60k. I'm waiting to see what his written quote looks like, but when i spoke to the plaster company they said the Pebble-Fina finish was only $2k more than plaster, so if i can be at $62k i'll consider that huge progress.

As far as location, i am on the south shore of Long Island, so property is very flat and the soil is sandy (hopefully no rock surprises). I'm about a half mile from the water, i do have a 9' basement so i figure i am about 15' above sea level. We are thinking 6' deep pool which should be fine. I dont know anything about underground drainage though or how the water will run around the shell. Do you have any suggestions as to how i can look into this more?

that quote is so vague. . . . i would have just said 100 k at that point.

1 light . . . 15 lights? size of them? brand even. throw me a bone here. lol

variable speed pump, filter. . . ok ya right i know. . . size. . . type. . .

uv. . . run. . . he will have a nice diner on u for the profit he makes on it.

oh the equipment is prop andy since the automation is iaqualink.

so what about electrical. . . not a work about it. . . . there is a lot that can cost to go up and down.

cleaner. . . ya go robot vs pressure side. robots are awesome!

rebar size?

returns. . . skimmers. . . 1, 2, 100? piping size? how it's laid out? dedicated? tied together?

bottom drains?

i would throw that quote back at him. tell him to come on here for an education. lol

those are just my random thoughts.

i feel for you. having to deal with stress before u even start is a pain. just not needed.

jim

ps ya know if you can't find a local company call anthony sylvan and sons. they are a country wide company. reps in areas all over. you can at least get a normal quote with details from them.

I know, this is a joke. I thought the meeting went well so was surprised by this and was actually wondering if it was an FU quote or if this was just the way they run their business. Or maybe they are on TFP and saw this thread!

I did a search and found a company called Anthony & Sylvan Pools, is that them? They have a few offices in New Jersey and CT but none on LI so i don't know if they would work out here, I'm going to call tomorrow and find out.

I know, this is a joke. I thought the meeting went well so was surprised by this and was actually wondering if it was an FU quote or if this was just the way they run their business. Or maybe they are on TFP and saw this thread!

I did a search and found a company called Anthony & Sylvan Pools, is that them? They have a few offices in New Jersey and CT but none on LI so i don't know if they would work out here, I'm going to call tomorrow and find out.

they will come out. They r 120 Miles from me and they would have until I found someone very local that I didn’t know did gunite. I mean it’s better to have someone local I feel bit at least u can get a normal quote. Use it against someone local. At least it’s something to get u going maybe.

Regarding drainage, our town required engineering surveys, reports and inspections to ensure/confirm no groundwater impacts neighbors, septic, wetlands etc. We had to include multiple yard drains to a rain garden, but none in the area where we had the problem. Luckily it was easy to find/solve the problem by pulling back the grass. Good luck. I think it’s reasonable to do a simple pool for 60k. Fence, landscaping, engineering etc would be additional and possible significant $.

Sounds like a great idea. We just finished up our pool in Port Washington. It’s a 14x26 pool with automated pool cover. Our pool builder was great. He may have been on the pricier side but we loved his work. I actually called the pool over company when we were posting bids from 4 companies. While I knew he would never bash a pool company, I asked him flat out who would YOU use to build your dream pool, there was no hesitation. Your gas line may cost you a bunch though. I had to have national grid come in and install bigger line. I told myself when we started, I wasn’t going to too picky as long as I felt comfortable with the builder. Fact is, he has done 6 pools within a 2 mile radius. I spoke with every owner and they were all happy with their build. PS- I have bluestone coping, and can get hot, but so does my techo bloc Aberdeen. I do a quick hose down. Like any where, nothing is perfect, but if your ideas set, go with it!

We broke ground on our Hampton style DIY pool this past weekend. Your wife and I have similar taste. I am still in the process of deciding on our narrow decking material. We are in Arkansas where it gets very hot. Our pool area is in what I consider full sun, so bluestone is a bad choice for us. Concrete is the obvious and practical choice, but I don't like obvious even when it's practical. Plus, I love the look of pavers. I recently received samples from Firerock. They are handcrafted concrete pavers that look very much like stone. They are beautiful. I believe Peacock Pavers are similar. Both have websites showing them beautifully done around pools. You may want to look into them. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.