New member pool planning in N. Atlanta - Construction Completed 7/2022

Here are some additional shots. The grout blends really well with the tile, as I really didn't want to see the lines from a distance. This also shows the overflow that will run under our decking and will drain into the water garden on the backside of the decking. The 2nd pic shows where they had to cut the tiles to match the curves. Overall, I think they did a very nice job.

20220315_090502.jpg20220315_091438.jpg

So, I was out of town on a kayak camping trip, and am happy to report that the hardscapes started while I was away! It was dark when I got home last night with torrential downpours, but the sun came out a bit this morning for me to take some pics. I'm really liking the color variation as it dries out. Can we just fast forward to completion already? :ROFLMAO:
20220323_110744.jpg20220323_110950.jpg20220323_112533.jpg

More progress pics! The main walls and coping are pretty much finished. They will be doing a similar retaining wall on the right side of the boulder waterfall as what you see in the pics, but that will come last (after boulders are in place). I'm really digging the stair redesign and the single step that will connect the staircases, and be a great place to sit and talk with people on the tanning ledge. You can also see the integrated wiring for landscape lighting in both the walls and the stairs. Note, I didn't clean anything for these pics, so the walls are washed out in stone powder from the chiseling and cutting.

20220326_182107.jpg20220326_181523.jpg20220326_181113.jpg20220326_181026.jpg

Neat to see how they cut the stone on the sloping wall to make it fit just right!
Yep, I've been really impressed with the masonry crew's attention to detail. Even with the weird angles due to all of the curves, the coping, top step and retaining wall all flow together perfectly, and the bottom step follows the same line all the way around. It's very cool to see the vision come together, especially when the result is even better than you imagined!

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other thing, while I'm thinking about it... I did some measuring of internal dimensions, and the shell ended up being slightly bigger than spec'ed. My deep end is also deeper than anticipated by a foot! I measured right at 9' to the middle of the waterline tile close to the edge, so it's probably a few inches deeper than that in the middle of the deep well. This is obviously pre-plaster, which will add an inch or so. Not what I expected, but I'm not going to complain either, as it will give extra depth when jumping from the top of the waterfall. I measured 3 1/2' right at the shallow wall with the majority of shallow end being roughly 4'. At the halfway mark, it's right at 5' and drops quickly. Shallow end well was 21' wide at the skimmer and 24' if I include the tanning ledge. and deep end well was 23'. Length was just over 30' straight line shallow to waterfall, 35' corner to corner from tanning ledge and 32' for my swim lane (opposite corners).

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
According to the tags, the pallets average about 5800 lbs each, so we're looking at about 17.5 tons of boulders. I'm so taking off the day they put these in place!

Yeah so I can see all of the pics you are going to take!!!! OH what fun.............hummmmmmmm North Atlanta.........about 7 hour drive...............just make sure you answer the door when someone knocks on it on that day LOL
Bring a hard hat and some popcorn! 🥳 I have a neighbor who is also a pool owner that is planning to come watch. It was supposed to happen today, but with the storms moving through, it will have to wait until later this week. So, in the interim, here are some better closeups of some of the boulders. This will give you an idea of both size and color variation. I'm loving the lichen and moss on some of them!
20220404_164214.jpg20220404_164240.jpg20220404_164302.jpg20220404_164326.jpg20220404_164155.jpg

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
No major progress at the moment... Still eagerly awaiting the placement of the boulders for the waterfall, since it involves heavy machinery. I've been assured it will happen this week, just not sure which day yet. Electrician and plumber finished final hookups today, so city will do their inspections tomorrow. I've also got my 2PSI gas meter upgrade scheduled for Thursday, which I'm happy to report is a no cost to the homeowner here. The plumber did a single pressure regulator on the line going into the house to reduce house pressure to the 7WC. The main line has a tee between the meter and the house with the run for the heater. There is also a separate regulator at the heater to protect it from any pressure surges.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.