New member, new 16x32 Intex - one man build

Jun 19, 2018
alabama
First off, just wanted to say Hello and thanks for all the great info here. I tried adding more than 2 pictures but it doesn't seem to want to let me :(
Here's my photo album for the build Pool Project 2018 - Google Photos
Thought I would share my experience installing this pool which was going to be a surprise for my wife on a shoestring budget and with almost no power tools and solo.

I did quite a bit of research here and elsewhere about the Intex and decided it was definitely a good deal. Wife really needs/wants water therapy and I opted for the 16'x32' so she could swim laps.
I was originally going to get it from amazon with the SWG package, but the day she left to visit mom for 2 weeks, amazon decided to jack up the price by over $500. Luckily I found it for under $1100 on ebay.
What a sight to see a 53' tractor trailer backed up to my driveway. After making sure I had everything in the boxes it was time to prep the lawn.

My ground had a slight slope of about 16" in 38'. So I rented a rototiller (delivered) and broke the ground up.
I didn't realize just how tough it was going to be to move a shovel thru all that tilled in grass. I had to rake it out. Which actually made me think how dumb it was to have tilled the low side. Could have really saved myself a lot of time. Oh well

I did this on Sat & Sun here in hot & sticky alabama which made making this happen even more of a motivation. Just kept thinking of jumping in that clear cool water.
I did all of this with just a flat shovel, a walmart wheelbarrow, and lots of elbow grease.
I used a very cheap laser level which I had to wait until late dusk to be able to even see the dot. Then I used strings to give me a rough idea of grading. So all in all, I took about 8" from highside and piled it up on the low. I used riding mower to pack it down.
Monday morning I had 5 yards of mason's sand brought and wouldn't you know it, I didn't cover it and of course it rained cats and dogs.

It then took the rest of the week to get the sand leveled. It rained every day. What a sight! Every shovel full seemed to get heavier and heavier. But this was going to be a present for my wife who was out of town for 2 weeks.
Finally the rain broke and I got off work a bit early friday and was able to finish grading out the sand. I attached 1/4" boards to my shoes with duct tape, raked, shoveled, and finally just dragged a 2"x6"x8' long board attached with rope over and over until it was flat. I was able to layout the tarp and then nervously I unrolled the pool liner. Not an easy feat solo. But luckily (again) it was facing the correct direction.

Saturday I managed to get the poles inserted with the help of windex. Inserted the braces and I then layed out my pavers and then tried to get the whole thing in the upright position. This was the hardest thing for me to do by myself. Was just so heavy. I got clever and tied some rope to the legs and to my car and used that to temporarily keep it upright. Once I had one long side up, I moved to a short side. Then it was almost as hard to get the other long side up. Again, used rope and the fence to keep it up. The last side was a breeze. Once it was upright, I got the bottom straps attached and yanked on everything to get the bottom stretched out as best as possible. Adjusted my pavers so that the braces were more to the front as I had heard they tend to move back when pool is filling.
By noon Saturday I had two hoses filling the pool. After a few inches I got in to try and get the wrinkles out. Gotta say that pool is HUGE from inside and empty.

As the pool started to fill, I adjust the legs by pulling on them. Woke up Sunday pool was about 1/2 full.... by 6pm it was 75% full. I was a little concerned that the long walls were still leaning in so much but the last 3 inches the straightened right out.

So in review, this thing is awesome. Total project cost was under $2000 including the deluxe accessory kit, the skimmer, startup chems. I haven't decided yet to go with the confer ladder or build a deck and get the pool steps. I'll definitely be going SWG but may hold off until next year. Already building the PVC shelf I saw on here. All in all my wife was blown away to come home to this huge thing in her back yard where she can swim anytime she feels like it.

Attachments

• 20180609_075819.jpg
    20180609_075819.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20180609_083100.jpg
    20180609_083100.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: 6Kidz=Crazy!
OMG! You put that up solo? Amazing job! I am a person that likes to do things myself but don't think I could have ever done that (and I try to avoid shovels at all costs!) Congrats and you have a very lucky wife. Enjoy that water!

Oh, btw. The pool was PERFECTLY level. I was so blown away. Because of my shoe/board and riding mower compacting job, I actually added about an inch to the built up side thinking all that water would self level it. And lo and behold, I mean it was dead level. Even after 3 days it's less than a 1/4 inch off. Who'd have thunk it.

I will say, there are quite a few wrinkles on the bottom. Nothing that will keep the future cleaner from working, but even those couple of inches were too much to kick out. Should have let that lay flat under full sun to help remove the creases from the factory fold job. Live and learn. When I empty it for winter, I'll stretch them out.

zYMXurd.jpg

bW2AUde.jpg

RfaeWsI.jpg

ARLwVcF.jpg

CROeDgK.jpg

A6KoFLu.jpg

z3A6Cua.jpg

RiIp7OS.jpg

To use Imgur, on the right is a list... choose BBcode and click copy.
Then in your post here, just paste the code into your message. It will work like this one that I just did...

ovrQKgN.jpg

VERY impressive! There were 5 of us & it kicked our tails.lol. The one question I was gonna ask was how’d you smooth the bottom...

The old fashioned way. Took an 8' 2"x6", screwed some rope onto both ends and just walked around. It cuts the high spots and fills in the valleys.
I sure miss the days when I had a bucket on my baby john deere. Would have been done in less than a day. But hey, it was really good exercise which i need a fairly big excuse to do nowadays. :)

- - - Updated - - -

To use Imgur, on the right is a list... choose BBcode and click copy.
Then in your post here, just paste the code into your message. It will work like this one that I just did...

Thank you. I was using the COPY link that's on the main part. After digging, I found the BB link copy feature.

Holy cow, man! THAT is a labor of love. AMAZING!!!

As for the wrinkles... For my iddy biddy pool (12ft x 30in) I left about two inches of water in, I got on my hands and knees, and smoothed it out from the center to the edges. Mine is on foam, though, so it slid pretty easily.

You've totally given me inspiration to build a biggun on my own someday :goodjob:

I don't have any real evidence (other than the risk of rodent damage during winter storage!) but my gut says these things will last longer if left up full of water year round. Just the folding and unfolding bothers me. Of course the pump and other mechanical equipment is another story, but the main structure seems like it would be better off not being handled and moved around so much. Besides I am lazy! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.