New member, Intex Metal Frame Pool...couple questions, level

Jun 25, 2012
Hi all. I'm a new member and have enjoyed reading posts here on the Intex pools. The last 2 years we had the Easy Set pool and decided this year to go with with the metal frame pool because I was tired of blowing up the Easy Set top ring all the time. Lol. Wish I had read on here more about the metal frame pool because I didn't know about the tip of setting patio stones or something under the posts. I'm in Texas on sandy soil, plus we used a little extra sand to level. Needless to say, we are slightly unlevel and some posts are digging into the ground more than others. A few pictures below. On the high side we are about 2 blue rows off compared to the low side. Also on the high side one post isn't really receiving much weight. Can 2 adults safely keep this pool like it is or do we have to do the dreaded drain and relevel? I have read about the possibility of jacking up the low end and getting something under the posts. ? Not sure how feasible that is with our situation. Thanks for any suggestions.

Deanne

pool003.jpg

pool001.jpg

Re: New member, Intex Metal Frame Pool...couple questions, l

Welcome to tfp, KonaBaby :wave:

I have seen plenty of intex pools with about the same amount of unlevelness (that is not a word) stay up. Maybe wait until the end of the season to fix it? Otherwise you can search on here for a method where the low side is jacked up and block placed under the vertical posts.

I am a stickler on levelness and when I see an intex pool that isn't level I cringe and I didn't cringe while viewing your pool pics. I think, IMO, you could get away with this pool season and do it right next year. BUT! That's just me. :-D

Doesn't look too bad. If you feel the need to level the posts that are digging in a 2x4 cut to length under the tee and a floor jack will do wonders. Search for "jack leg" or something similar in the search box at the bottom of the page and you should find a few threads with some pics.

you can jack up the posts with a floor jack or bottle jack and a 2-4. Put the 2-4 at the T on the top of the post. Just jack up the post a little and slip a piece of plywood under the leg. Then it is easy to slip thin pieces of wood to shim up the leg.

Everyone above gave you great advice, I had the same pool for over five years and it was set up at two different homes (and being used at another families home today). I can say that your pool is not that bad, my first set up was off at least 3.5-4 bars in some places. I would wait until the end of the season to allow the pool to settle, then use the 2x4 and jack method to jack up the pool to get it more level.

One thing about having your ground cloth stick out all the way around the pool like that. I had an issue where my ground tarp acted like a bathtub and collected a lot of water during a heavy rain, it was causing me some issues and was a big mess. I ended up very carefully trimming the ground cloth so it was the same size and shape of my pool. Please note if you do this to be extremely careful. If you take care of your pool you should get many years of enjoyment from it.

Awesome!! Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm kind of a stickler for things being right too and my husband just rolls his eyes at me that I'm worrying about it. Lol. I told him about the jack method and he thought I was crazy until I showed him some pictures from another thread. We might try it this weekend to help out on the low side just a tad. On the tarp, I did roll it up and tuck it under the edge of the pool so it won't flap and collect stuff. Going around the pool with a heavy application of Roundup tonight. That should keep things under control with the grass.

Other thing I noticed was that we weren't able to get the hose ports level with the inside of the pool. So the jet that kicks the water out actually pushes the water out in the air a bit. Of course the side with the hoses is the high side so I couldn't put the water level as high. I was all worried about fixing it but it is so hot in Texas that maybe it is a good idea and will help cool the water while it runs. I've seen some other posts about water fountains, etc. I tried like mad to get those adapters tight up against the pool side and redid the clamps and still couldn't get them flush. Is there some trick I missed? I don't recall having that issue on the Easy Set pools. ?

A few comments sound like I should be able to leave it up year round if it settles in some and I can get some wood pieces under the legs to shim it up. It would be nice not to take it down because then I have a mud area where the pool was and have to deal with the dogs all winter. We do get freezes here in North Texas so is that still a possibility of leaving it up?

Thanks so much for all the feedback. Glad our pool didn't make anyone cringe. :) I feel better.

I left mine up in Virginia every year, it froze almost solid one year and i had no issues. I removed the intake and return fitting from the inside of the pool and installed the black rubber plugs that came with the pool (you can purchase these online for a few bucks if needed) and kept the push valves on for my peace of mind. I then placed a floating inflatable ring in the pool and covered, never had a problem.

When my pool was not level I had the same issue with the return. I also found that the weight of the hose, water and push valve had a tendency to pull down on the connections on the outside making the suction and return fittings inside the pool point upward. I used a two pieces of small rope to go from the metal frame top rail to the valves to hold them in a more level position. I was worried that the strain of pulling on the outside would be bad for my pool in the long run.

That was two pieces of rope per side as you need to go from the valves to the T connector above the leg (horizontal piece is covered by liner).

FYI the pool looks great makes me a bit nostalgic, got to go jump in my new in ground so i stop feeling sad... :mrgreen:

Mine has one side from water to blue line thats 2 inches off and the rest of the pool is 1 1/2. Yours looks good. You dont have a considerable lean to one side. And the legs looks pretty straight . go around with a level on the top of legs. That will tell you wjat legs needs to jacked up. Enjoy your pool !!!! This is mine . see how mine is. Not bad . like i said in the spot where i meed to jack its 1 1/2 from the end of the blue line. The rest of the pool is 2.1/2 inches.

Attachments

• 20170706_145606_HDR_Film1.jpg
    20170706_145606_HDR_Film1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170706_145635_Film1.jpg
    20170706_145635_Film1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_2017-07-06-15-04-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-15-04-38.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 62

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.