New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

It will be porous if left unfinished. Most concrete can actually be polished if it has enough density otherwise it could be sealed on the top surface but this tends to give it a glossy or matte look, as would polishing. Granite, marble and limestone are all actually porous stone, just less so than concrete.

That's really cool. A buddy and I made a concrete countertop for a bathroom. We used pvc pieces to make the holes for the faucet and the sinks that sat on top. It was really fun, and looked really good considering it was our first try. We used a powdered concrete stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That concrete is fantastic - so beautiful and well done - I love the variation they've worked into the look, it going to be fantastic.

Houzz - Love it, one of my favorite places for inspiration - my husband literally cringes when I mention that website now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, this is tstex...your gunite walls have the staining and drip marks like mine, but I have brown scum on the bottom that is both in the water, the shore line where it is mushy and drying and dried-up where it has broken off in big pieces the size of potato chips [yum, yum].

I'll post some pic's too of both our pool and summer kitchen...the fire place was just built and soon the exterior stone will be added. We went w a real fire-brick interior and chimney was clay-flue...we are doing granite countertops, travertine versailles pattern in both the kitchen and decking [little over 1500sq ft for all]. we are adding 7 ft granite topped benches betw the Austin Stone fire place and austin stone columns - the base of the benches are austin stone too. the granite counter tops is 17' 10" long x 38"...lots of serving space w stainless steel sink and Echelon grill...can't wait to grill steaks and s-kobs...

Also, many thanks to all our Veterans of all wars and those people that have supported them in any and all capacities..w out you, we could not write so freely in these forums...

Regards,
tstex

tstex - We had the brown scum up until about a week 1/2 ago when they drained and cleaned the pool getting it ready for plaster (but of course it has rained since then and temps are in the 30's this week). Your build sounds fabulous - if I could do anything again, it would be the decking and I would probably steal the flagstone idea from Two Labs or do a stamped concrete with texture. I am a big fan of Austin Stone too so can't wait to see your fireplace. -Karen

Dumbcluck - are you good with seeing Eva's fittings or do you want me to take a closer photo of ours?

An email from our PB's office received yesterday:
Below is the target schedule for next week. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if I can help explain anything in further detail.
Target Schedule week of Nov 17
-Complete Electrical
-Complete Carpentry work
-Reroute irrigation
-Project Clean up
-Plaster

Temperatures will be in the 40/50's....still a small chance we may have plaster BEFORE Thanksgiving. Who wants the over/under? -Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.