New Member - Chlorine block-high CYA

Ok very good, I'll do that and retest tomorrow night and report in the results. Thanks again for all your help, I have alreasdy put two other pool owners on to your site and the professional test kits as a way to truly monitor the pool as opposed to the pool store testings that so many of us avail ourselves of, including me (formerly).

Much appreciated.

Ed

Re: New Member - Chlorine block-high CYA - All Set?

Hi Folks,

As suggested last night by Jason for an 8 FC reading, put in just over the recommended 1/2 gal of 12.5% liquid shock (per pool calculator) last evening, which produced these readings this morning:

FC- 8.5
CC - 0

Sunshine all day, 75 degrees, sun going down now, all shade over pool, results:

FC - 7.5
CC - 0

(only lost a point during the day)

I think I may be set now on this FC and CYA issue :party: . I thank you for all your help and reassurances. I have recommended this site now to many over the last few days, as well as purchasing your own GOOD testing kit. I think I'm ready to activate the SWG now and let it take over, any suggestions on a % setting for it??

Thanks again! :cheers:
Ed

Cool read. Overall, I'd say you came out pretty good on this.....I've read where others have spent quite a bit more in time/frustration/money before they learn about this place.

Pretty cool place huh Ed? I just recently discovered it myself so I know exactly what you're feeling right now :) Good job

Agreed! Very happy with the results. I've recommended this site now to so many fellow pool owners, as well as purchasing your own professional kit, I bought the TF-100. I just checked readings again, tonight, Sunday, at 7 pm -

FC - 7.5
PH - 7.9
CYA - 65-70

SWG set at 65% for the last week or so. Bright, hot sunshine here the last two days with frequent bathers.

A little puzzled at the drop in one week of CYA without any further pool water replenishing, from 85 down to 65-70. The only thing I can suggest is that in last Moday's reading I had not shaken and dissolved the R-0013 reagent enough. This time I mixed it well for about the full 30 seconds +, then waited the alotted time, and then did some more, then checked it.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Leslie's just did a number on my pool too. I have 100+ CYA levels after my 2nd visit with them now.

It makes me feel better to see that your pool is coming under control. Thanks for posting your experience!

-Tom

Hang in there Tom. Buy a good test kit, I got the TF-100 (great kit from Dave and Meg) and perform your own tests with the advice of these really great folks here on the forum. Never trust Leslie's or any other pool store for that matter. I did, and look what happened. I'm glad I learned early on in my "pool career".

Good Luck, it will turn out ok!!

Ed

My TF-100 is due to be here tomorrow and I can't wait!! I added the stirrer with it! I'm still looking for a supplier of chlorine in this area. So far i've only found 6% bleach. The PS doesn't sell liquid chlorine. If anyone has suggestions for the Magnolia, TX area or Houston area i'm all for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.