New Member and New Pool Ideas

I think a heat pump is a better choice for your climate. Have the contractor stub the plumbing and the electrical so it can be added easily later. Run the 220 now just in case. I think you can take advantage of variable speed pumps with the 220 supply run as well. The auto cover is a definite luxury but I love ours. The time to put it in is with a new build. It's out of sight when not in use. Easy on and easy off.

I like a warm pool, and our natural gas heater has been running since early April and set to 90 degrees, middle TN. Cost was about $250 in April, and $125 in May. Im going out on a limb that it will be less for June. The initial heating was the most costly, but maintaining the heat has been far less expensive. Propane is a bit less convenient. I would think that starting with the solar panels would be a good option, and have them design the plumbing so that you could easily add a propane heater down the road.

Reactions: Chickinvic
Oh, and the general consensus in this forum tends to lean towards getting a robot cleaner rather than a system that uses the pool plumbing.

I'm seeing that. His quote included a Polaris 280 with booster that they say works very well and lasts longer than the electric robots. Their philosophy is that it picks up almost as fine as a robot, is run off gears instead of belts (which last longer and are cheaply replaced) and the parts are very easy to replace, making the unit far cheaper over the years. Also, there is no electric cable in the pool, alleviating the risk of electrocution, if there were ever a short and you were in the pool while it is running. That was a random comment, and not something they used as a selling point, btw.

I'm completely new at this and having to take the advice from people who know what they are doing: people here and the pool builder. So, I have no opinion at all. I don't mind spending the money if it saves me time and labor and does a better job. But, I don't want to waste money and have extra electricity, if it isn't needed. Any other opinions, or is it a concensus to go with the electric robot cleaner over the Polaris 280?

I'm seeing that. His quote included a Polaris 280 with booster that they say works very well and lasts longer than the electric robots. Their philosophy is that it picks up almost as fine as a robot, is run off gears instead of belts (which last longer and are cheaply replaced) and the parts are very easy to replace, making the unit far cheaper over the years. Also, there is no electric cable in the pool, alleviating the risk of electrocution, if there were ever a short and you were in the pool while it is running. That was a random comment, and not something they used as a selling point, btw.

I'm completely new at this and having to take the advice from people who know what they are doing: people here and the pool builder. So, I have no opinion at all. I don't mind spending the money if it saves me time and labor and does a better job. But, I don't want to waste money and have extra electricity, if it isn't needed. Any other opinions, or is it a concensus to go with the electric robot cleaner over the Polaris 280?

My experience with both is that our robot does a far superior job at picking up and coverage and is easier to empty/clean. I did not leave either in the pool after each use. This thread may give you some good insight into folk's experiences with robots.

Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Your pool builder is out of date. Adding extra pumps just to run a less efficient cleaner is a waste of energy and your effort to clean. Having a robot simplifies your plumbing. And there is no risk of running the robot in the water as the device is powered by small power pack not a direct electrical cord. Robots also clean far, far better than pressure or suction cleaners.

As for the cover, in our climate its ideal for year round use and helps keep the pool keep clean, warm, and helps limit chemical loss.

Maddie :flower:

Met with one of the pool builders this morning and worked through some questions I had. I will say he's very easy to work with and I think he'd do a very good job, which is important. He was willing to throw some things in for no charge (upsized SWG, colored concrete, separate pour for coping to separate it from the deck, etc). He also said he loved the Polaris 280, and thought it was very low maintenance. He said they last forever and can be repaired very cheaply and easily. He said he's had his for a decade and it's showing no signs of tearing up. However, he did acknowledge that small sand and silt may be better picked up with a robot, so he's willing to either knock $1200 off the cost and skip the pressure side cleaner and booster pump, or keep the cost and let me pick which robotic cleaner I want. Either way, he said he'd plumb for the pressure side cleaner, in case the robot breaks and I want to go that route down the road. We haggled on price a little and I walked away feeling really good. I'm pretty certain I'm going to give him the go ahead in the next few days. I'd love to have a few weeks to swim before it gets too cold.

However, I've been researching heaters, and I think an electric heat pump in Georgia may fit the bill. I'm not looking to swim in the winter. But, I'd like to add a month to each side of the season and warm the water when it's not too cold outside. From what I'm reading, a 140k BTU electric heat pump should fit the bill, even for a 20x40 8ft pool. I'm still trying to gather information on this, so anyone who has knowledge of electric heat pumps and their capabilities, I'd like to hear your opinions. But, if they work as advertised, I'd love to swim into October and be swimming again in April.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
I plan on getting a solar cover either way. Just wonder how an electric heat pump will benefit, and they don’t seem to be used too often. I can’t find too much information. Pool will be 20x40, 8ft deep end. So, around 35,000 gallons. I’d go with a 140k BTU heater. If it will just get me another 3-4 weeks on each end of the season, I think it’s worth it.

Just my 2 cents, but you may want to consider downsizing a bit. With a pool that size, you'll be in the 36K-38K gallon range, which is a BIG pool. Going smaller will save you $ on every level; construction, heating, chlorinating, balancing, and beer (to ease the muscle pain after brushing).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with above comment. On an average pool 20k gallons or so the heat pump will work well. A pool that size will be hard to maintain temp with a heat pump but it will raise your temps ita gonna depend alot on weather. My wife and kids like 90 degrees or better. Early or late season with air temps low they wont touch the water unless its upper 80s minimum. I dont know honestly if the heat pump can warm the water enough to overcome the nightly heat loss. The colder the outside temp the more it sucks the waters heat regardless of cover. Example is my solar is at 94 right now. It makes temp by the early afternoon. If I leave uncovered I lose 8 to10 degrees overnight because water is so warm and I have 60s overnight. Even covered I lose 5 degrees overnight and I only have 14k gallons. But my gas heater is 266k BTUs and if I heat that way I get 1.5 degrees an hour gain so that's what we do early and late if we need a boost usually just a weekend swim or special occasion. With a heat pump you will have to run it and leave it on 24/7 by they aren't that bad to operate cost wise if your kw per hour isn't crazy expensive.

I'm in mid GA and we just put in our pool with heat pump this year. We've been swimming since February and I've learned a few things:
-Make sure PB puts in a bypass for the heat pump so you don't have the pressure increase if you're not using it. My difference with/without bypass is around 10 PSI. Make sure you flush fresh water through the HP every few days and you don't have to drain it.
-Watch the nightly temps, no use running it below low 50s, it can't keep up.
-Solar cover makes it much easier to maintain temp at night. But if you're only heating during temps that the HP can handle on its own, the energy savings might break even on the cost of a cover in 2-3 years. Is that worth the hassle of putting the cover off/on every time you use the pool? The cover may not last much longer than that.
-In the Jandy line we got, the chiller option didn't cost much more and is wonderful when daytime temps are high 90s+. It's been near 100 a couple times so far this summer, and I've learned that I really only want the chiller for daytime swimming. On the weekends, I'll cut it on in the morning, and then cut off when I'm done swimming. I don't mind the pool being 88+ in late evening. But during the day, my favorite pool activity is cooling off under the waterfall and feeling that cold water.
-The iAqualink software to control this thing was the most difficult thing to figure out because Jandy software sucks. Tech spent hours on the phone with Jandy over a few calls, but he wasn't very software savy.
-Our electricity is around 11c/kWh. My 22k gals costs around $35 to bring to temp over 2 full days, then just $2-3 per day to maintain for nightly lows in mid 50s. That's with a cover. I'm not sure I'll buy another solar cover when this one wears out. I think it was $120 on amazon for like the mid thickness. There's a thread on here about using PVC and nylon auto fasteners to make it easier putting on/off.

I appreciate the comments. I know it’s a big pool. Just not something we are willing to compromise on. We have 3 kids. That means 8-9 kids with friends, and adding parents, we host a lot of people. We have good friends that have a 20x40 and we love their pool. So much so, we don't like smaller pools after using theirs. If we put one in, it’ll be as large as we can make it. I know it will take an extra day or so to heat, but if it heats in April and early October, it’ll be worth it.

To Zac280 in central GA above....how large is your pool? If I can just get that little boost, that’s all I’m looking for. From what I’m reading, a gas heater is much, much more expensive to run.

Last edited:
If I ever put in a heater it would be to get/keep me at 85 all swim season.

We love the large pool. Since it’s trouble free, it’s a breeze to take care of and looks great.

I will say that repairing Polaris cleaners are not cheap. Look at the parts in a pool store. They are very expensive and then you need to add labor. But anything can break so I'm not saying they break more, just that to me $100 to fix isn't cheap (you're not fixing them for $25). Without a doubt find a way to heat the pool. I personally want it warm when I want it warm so solar wouldn't work for me. Good idea about the leaf net in the fall. You'll need to "peel it back" every other day for a couple of weeks during the height of the fall so the leaves don't drag it in the pool. Plus the leaves will then be heavy. Might be easier to do a cheap solid cover that you can have on and you can get away with doing that each weekend. Also definitely add seating/bench in the deep end, you'll use that part of the pool so much more.

I will say that repairing Polaris cleaners are not cheap. Look at the parts in a pool store. They are very expensive and then you need to add labor. But anything can break so I'm not saying they break more, just that to me $100 to fix isn't cheap (you're not fixing them for $25). Without a doubt find a way to heat the pool. I personally want it warm when I want it warm so solar wouldn't work for me. Good idea about the leaf net in the fall. You'll need to "peel it back" every other day for a couple of weeks during the height of the fall so the leaves don't drag it in the pool. Plus the leaves will then be heavy. Might be easier to do a cheap solid cover that you can have on and you can get away with doing that each weekend. Also definitely add seating/bench in the deep end, you'll use that part of the pool so much more.

At this point, I think I'm obsessing over things, and there is a positive and negative to both. With the Polaris, I can let kids be in the pool without the random fear of electricity you have with the pool robot. With the pressure side cleaner, I can let it run for days whenever the pump is on, even through thunderstorms and rain. I understand that the pool robot cleans better and more efficiently. I'm leaning robot, but will make a decision on this and don't think I can go terribly wrong either way.

As for the heater, I'm still trying to learn what I can to make the right decision. From the pool builders I spoke with before deciding who we are going to use, all of them said they don't put heaters in very often at all. They all said they have only used gas, and didn't give a reason...they just said they rarely use them at all, and when they did, they used gas, as they most often were heating a spa and a pool, and gas heats faster. As for my usage, I want to control monthly costs and never have a surprise $1000 gas bill. I won't be heating in the winter, but want to be able to use it whenever needed from April-October. That's it. I know the electric will be more reliable, last longer and will cost less to operate along the way. I just wish I could get a clear cut answer whether it will heat the pool effectively and keep the temp during these time periods.

So, we met with a really awesome contractor this morning and he gave us some great ideas. We are definitely going with 20x40, as we have the room and it fits our yard and family really well. We are going to spring for extra decking. His standard price includes 4' on each side and 8' on each end. I think we are going 12' on the shallow end, 10' on one side, 6' on the other side and 8' on the diving board side. We will set the fence back 3' outside the concrete, where we can put mulch, pea gravel and some plants inside the fence to make it more aesthetically pleasing. That also allows us to expand and pour a little more concrete later, if we feel we need more room somewhere. His plan automatically includes a Pentair Salt Generator and a Polaris Pressure Side pool cleaner. Also, he does not do the aluminum coping, and only uses concrete or stone, which is what we prefer. Steps and diving board will both be grey, to better match the pool (I just hope they don't get hot because they are a darker color).

He uses Latham liners. We really liked the Grey Mosaic and also liked the Natural Grey. The Grey Mosaic is a little lighter, and I think they water would be lighter, which is appealing with smaller kids. We don't like the tans or greens, and don't want water so dark we can't see kids easily underwater in cloudy or dark conditions. This may be the hardest part. It's hard to imagine the pool without seeing exact pictures of the water. Really wish I could find a few good pictures of the Grey Mosaic. It seems to be a newer color and there aren't any good pictures out there that I've found.

I really wanted to install a gas heater, but after talking to the contractor, he said he could do it, and some people really want them. However, he said it would rarely be used, and he didn't feel it was worth the money. $3600 is not appealing if it'll never be used. He said it would cost hundreds to heat the pool when it was cold, and it may add a few weeks to each end of the swimming season, at best. I'm in Georgia, so I don't know what to do here. I'd love to have more use out of the pool, especially if it's just getting it up to temp when it's cooler in April and May, or in October. But, if it costs me a few hundred dollars to do so each time, I'm not sure how often I'd use it. Any suggestions here?

We did decide against the built in hot tub. He said that they are nice, but very expensive, and are harder to work on if there is a problem. His thought that they are more aesthetically pleasing, but he'd prefer to have a stand alone hot tub, if it were him. We could always add a separate one in the winter, if we feel like we really want it.

Other than the liner color, we are trying to decide decking. We want two tones, one grey as the coping around the pool edge, and a lighter grey or sand color as the concrete. Not sure if we should have colored concrete poured, or if we should have regular concrete poured and then we acid stain it or have SunDek put on it after the fact. We just don't want it to be plain Jane concrete, and want it to look nice and match the house.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. I'm trying to learn, but it's near impossible to do without ever having done this before.
My builder gave us a pentair racer pressure side vac with booster pump. I wish I'd researched that like I did a lot of other things.Next best thing to useless. Highly recommend you get a robot!!

My builder gave us a pentair racer pressure side vac with booster pump. I wish I'd researched that like I did a lot of other things.Next best thing to useless. Highly recommend you get a robot!!

I only run the robot 2 times a week and it's way cleaner than running the pressure side cleaner everyday. I just use it when no one is swimming anyway. Shuts itself off after 2 hours.

I am in Acworth, about 25 mins north of ATL, I use my heater a lot in the early and late seasons cause we like warm water, however, running it in April and Oct, gas Bill's were 700.00 and 560.00 repectively from a norm of 80.00. Um, yikes! Not quite worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.