New liner means new water

Nefid

Jul 9, 2017
Lebanon, PA
Hi all,

I just had my liner replaced so all the water was delivered fresh yesterday. I checked readings prior to starting with the chems and got this:

pH: 7.2
Free Chlorine: 0.1
TA: 250 (lotta limestone near here)
Calcium: 318
CYA: 4

I have a 22k gal SWG pool with a vinyl liner.

I hit it with shock to get some chlorine started, added in 400 lbs of salt to start, and now a lot of the other numbers arent bad except for that big alkalinity staring me in the face. How much do I care about the high TA? Should I let it come down over time as the pH rises? Am I missing something else? I know with high calcium scaling is possible.. but I never know when this is real vs a pool store gimmick.

Thanks for all your advice in advance!

OK -- I assume you have ordered a complete refill kit to your test kit that is TFP approved.

Pool store CH levels are typically incorrect. And we know the CYA is zero.

Raise your CYA to 40 to start. Raise the FC to 5 ppm. Start the IC generating 4 ppm FC per day. Test and adjust.

If the IC flakes off scale, then the TA needs to come down. Adjust pH down to 7.2 regularly to lower the TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.