New Liner Install This Weekend

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
The old liner was 6 years old and developed a leak either shortly before or sometime after I closed it last fall. I let the water leak down to the level of the leak hoping to make it easier to find in the spring. Well, turns out the leak is somewhere in the bottom.... We opted for a new liner and I'll put a pad under this one. I am thinking I will get new gaskets for the skimmer and the return. It's going to take long enough to fill that I can probably order them and still have them in time if I can't get them locally.

Reactions: kellyfair
Well I'm not where I hoped to be, but I'm where I expected to be in this project. We got the old liner out. I installed the pool 6 years ago. When I graded for it, the low side had to be lifted about 14". I had a tamper and did 3 lifts and tamped each with water, plus ran the tractor over everything. The pool still settled some. I checked level after I had the liner out today and it was enough that I decided to raise the 3 low legs. I raised them and then packed dirt under the track as best I could. I also found some rust at sone parts of the bottom edge of the wall, and a few holes (small ones) that I am addressing. All in all the wall is in good shape for 16 years old. I painted everything with a paint designed for rust. I am also thinking of sealing along the bottom few inches of the wall and around the skimmer and return openings with something like Flex Seal. I was not expecting to replace the foam coping but some of had either a bug or a plant go through it. I had to order that, so the liner can't go in until it gets here.

Raising the low legs is problematic. There’s no way you can pack dirt as well as thousands of pounds of water can, so you will likely see those legs settling again.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. The legs were raised by putting another block on top of existing one under 2 legs and the third I took out the old block and dug a bit deeper into well settled dirt and put in a thicker block. The dirt I added is only under the track between the legs.

The pool wall has been re-leveled. I went around and painted the bottom edge of the wall with a rust stop/preventative and then added some galvanizing spray on the bottom 6" of the wall. The liner did not go in last weekend because we ended up having to replace some of the foam cove pieces and could not find them locally so had to order them. I started installing the liner this morning. It's a round beaded liner. I ended up with about 12" of excess bead. I think it's because the pool wall is leaning in at the top. I will likely have to pull the top of the wall out some to get it to the correct diameter. Do I need to take the liner out of the track to do this or will the liner slide along the bead? It is not easy to put the liner back in, very hard on the fingers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.