May 19, 2021
Northern Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all!

I had my liner for my above ground pool tear. I had a new one installed and had to do a full re-fill. My fill water has high TA of 300. What should I focus on? The pool guy that helped setup some equipment and fix my heater said I should not add any chlorine and just add acid to reduce the TA.

What's the TPF approach here?

I wanted to get some chlorine in it.... Nothing was added yet. My other stats for my fill water test was the following:

He added about 1/2 gallon of acid initially I haven't yet retested though (out of the house and the pump is running).

TA is notoriously high in your area, not to worry. It's not the priority at the moment. Do the following:
1. Add CYA (stabilizer). Looks like you have a non-salt pool, so start with a CYA goal of 30 for now, you can always increase it later if the heat is too much for the chlorine. Add granular stabilizer via the sock-soaking method. After about 30 min of soaking, squeeze ii all out.
2. Today, add about 3 ppm worth of liquid chlorine. Tomorrow once the CYA is all dissolved in the pool, keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3. As for the pH, test it after it has mixed for about an hour. It just needs to be between 7.2 - 7.8 for now. Once it hits 8.0 or higher, then lower it to about 7.2. That will also help to lower the TA over time. The pH will float back up again soon enough and just repeat the drill.

Your signature doesn't show which test kit you have, hopefully it's a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, so be sure to use whichever one you have and you'll do fine.

I've put in the recommended 2lbs of stabilizer and retested a few minutes ago and I can easily see the black dot at 30ppm. Should I give it another hour and retest?

Water temps are 63-65c. Does this matter? I recall letting the sample get to room temp ~70 or something might be good?

At what point should I be okay to add more (I don't want to add too much obviously!)

Cheers!

I've put in the recommended 2lbs of stabilizer and retested a few minutes ago and I can easily see the black dot at 30ppm. Should I give it another hour and retest?
If you added granular stabilizer via the sock-soaking method, let it get soft, then got it all squeezed out, the CYA should reach your goal in the next 24 hrs. Hopefully you didn't pour anything down the skimmer. :hammer: If you used liquid conditioner, it should register relatively soon. I'd say in just a few hours.

Reactions: ccfc1986
I used the sock method BUT....in the skimmer basket... and went out about every hour to squeeze it for a few minutes to get the juices flowing. I also have the pump running non-stop since the sock was added. I will leave the pump running to circulate overnight as well.

Hopefully this is... acceptable? I heard of others using stockings or a skimmer sock as well. Everything (95%+ was diluted before hitting the skimmer/pump).

Please confirm the above is an OK method - in the meantime - I will wait 24 hours, retest, and then add the chlorine (as you had mentioned above as the next step) - assuming a CYA level of ~30-40.

Thanks as always!

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
The app always reverts to 5ppm.

Is there a way to set what i would like it to be by default?

As I accidentally added 51oz instead of 31oz because the app reverted back to 5ppm instead of 3ppm. Not the end of the world as uncovered/dirty and will come down quite quickly I assume (waiting for a new thermal cover).

You did good with the CYA. :goodjob:

Is there a way to set what i would like it to be by default?
You mean to permanently set a goal or target? I don't think so. The APP knows fairly closely what our recommended levels should be based on the pool profile info, so it tells us what needs to be adjusted based on the test results and we use the "Effects of Adding" to calculate the dosage amount. In some cases we as pool owners may elect to slip to the right or left of a recommended level in certain circumstances, so it can vary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.