May 27, 2021
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

I have an issue with my new Intex pool installation, I am seeing some crud floating in the water that eventually settles on the bottom when not in use. It does not stick to any of the pool surfaces, but is also so fine that it tends to slip right through my vacuum's silt sock. I've been running the pump 24/7 to try and circulate it through the sand filter as much as possible but I'm not noticing much difference. Attached is a picture of the buildup on an extra thick filter I made for my vacuum.

Since filling the pool I have been bringing my water samples to the local pool store while following their guidance on chemicals. I've been relying on their printouts of my chemistry (weekly) and a cheap 4-in-1 test kit (daily). I just got my Taylor K-2006C kit today and collected these numbers:

pH: 7.5
FC: 0
CC: 0
TA: 180
CH: 210
CYA: 0? (test solution never went cloudy)

With regard to chlorine - I've been adding 1/2lb Re-Fresh 68% Calcium Hypochlorite in the evening and have very little loss by the next morning but by the afternoon my chlorine levels are back to 0. I tested again this evening 1hr after adding the shock and got FC: 5.4 and CC 0.2. Will test again in the morning with the new Taylor kit to verify overnight changes.

I'm guessing my CYA of 0 is because I haven't been instructed to add any stabilizer?

These are all of the additions and total quantities that have been added at the guidance of the local pool store over a period of about 5 weeks.

GLB Supersonic shock (first couple of weeks only)
DuraChlor pH down (sodium bisulfate, first couple of weeks only)
ProTeam Supreme PLUS (20lb, added at 3rd week)
Bio-Dex Protect-All Supreme (1qt, added at 4th week)
Natural Chemisty Pool First Aid (16oz, added at 4th week)

Currently using Re-Fresh 68% Calcium Hypochlorite and muriatic acid for shock and pH maintenance.

Also maybe relevant: Immediately after filling the pool we had unusually large amounts of consistent rain for about 4 weeks.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my issue, let me know if I can provide any more pictures or information.

Attachments

• 20210610_144129.jpg
    20210610_144129.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to TFP :)

You have 2 issues going on..

1. You need to get some CYA in your water to give the chlorine sunscreen so it will not be burned up by the sun... You can find it in granules at home depot, lowes, ace, and online... That is why your chlorine is going away by the afternoon.. I would recommend for your area to take CYA to 40 to start with... https://smile.amazon.com/Pool-Mate-1-2607B-Stabilizer-Conditioner/dp/B00IZOE4HI

As far as using chlorine, while your at home depot, lowes, ace, or another store check on 1 gallon liquid chlorine in 10% or 12.5%, no need to use expensive Calcium Hypochlorite when you do not need calcium in a vinyl pool..

FC/CYA Levels

2. filtering: You can try getting the Intex skimmer and connect it, that will get most of the stuff floating on the surface but not all of it.. the more you catch on the surface the less will need to be picked up by the robot..

Lets start there and when you get everything in a couple days we can go from there.. how does that sound :)

Tested FC 4.8 and CC 0.2 this morning. Thanks for the tips, I'll get some stabilizer this afternoon. I forgot to mention I do have the intex skimmer already. I also grabbed some skimmer socks for it which catch a little bit more of the crud also. First pic is of some of the crud this morning after it has settled out overnight, even just a little bit of disturbance in the water will put it back into suspension for a few hours. Skimmer is collecting some of it, I clean it out in the morning and evening.

Thanks again for the help! This place was an invaluable resource when prepping the site and constructing the pool.

Attachments

• 20210615_074233.jpg
    20210615_074233.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210615_074255(2).jpg
    20210615_074255(2).jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 10
As cowboy stated, without stabilizer (CYA) your chlorine lasts just a few minutes in the sun. That is why your FC is 0 when you first tested.

Get CYA in and stabilize your FC so you can better manage it, and a lot of your issues will go away.

You need a real vacuum to collect the silt on the pool floor, not the water hose and bag thing. People have retrofitted standard pool vacuum lines to the intex skimmer and used that to vacuum. You may need an adaptor to connect the hose from the skimmer to the vacuum hose. You plug the second intake line to create more suction, connect the vacuum and turn on the pump.

Another way is to convert the plumbing to hard pvc pipes and add a through the wall skimmer and valves to the pool. You will then be able to connect a manual vacuum to the skimmer.

A third way is to get a pool robot or auto cleaner designed for the intex pool. The robot does not connect to the pool's plumbing and has its own internal vacuum system. The auto cleaner connects to the intex hose system.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Is that vacuum to waste that you are describing? I think that's what it will take. Both my robot and my battery vac just dump their 'exhaust' back into the pool, I can see them suck up the Crud and spit it right back out into the pool.

I got some stabilizer today and hung the sock, I will maintain and keep an eye on things for a bit while the stabilizer dissolves.

@zea3 thanks for suggesting a real vacuum. I was able to design and print a nozzle that fit my battery vac's pole and my floor robot's tubing. Amazingly, the intex return and intake flanges have the same threads so I was able to connect the robot tube fittings on one intake, shoved a thick sock over the skimmer intake, and vacuumed to waste a bunch of the Crud out of the pool in just a few minutes. I think this will work great to manage the crud until I get my chemistry correct.

Attachments

• 20210616_174034.jpg
    20210616_174034.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: zea3
@zea3 thanks for suggesting a real vacuum. I was able to design and print a nozzle that fit my battery vac's pole and my floor robot's tubing. Amazingly, the intex return and intake flanges have the same threads so I was able to connect the robot tube fittings on one intake, shoved a thick sock over the skimmer intake, and vacuumed to waste a bunch of the Crud out of the pool in just a few minutes. I think this will work great to manage the crud until I get my chemistry correct.
Interesting! I'll be interested in seeing how it holds up to chlorine.

I'm back!

Here's where I'm at now:

pH: 7.4
FC: 4.4
CC: 0.2
TA: 160
CH: 250
CYA: 30

The stabilizer has made a huge difference I'm using far less shock now, couple ounces per day at most. I still have some more stabilizer if 30 is a little too low.

I'm doing a minute or two vacuuming to waste every couple of days to get the crud out. Here's a video of the process, if this helps identify what it is at all. @1:16 is the center of the pool where the biggest pile always settles out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back again! Everything is stable, I've been using the awesome poolmath app to log tests and adjust chemicals. Water is crystal clear but still having to vacuum the crud that settles out every few days. Still not sure what it is, or if its just normal crud that lands in pools from the air/rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.