New intex 15 ft round with upgraded pump

May 15, 2018
Rose hill KS
I recently purchased an above ground 15 ft round intex. I wanted to upgrade my pump/filter so we purchased the Krystal clear sand filter pump and saltwater system.

The pool has 3 places for hoses. 2 for the outlet and 1 for the inlet. All of the hoses that came with the pool are 1 1/4 and the hoses with the pump are 1 1/5. There were no plunger valves or adapter b fittings in either.

So the question is, Do i get an adapter b and hook it to the t-valve and use the 1 1/4 hose to both outlets on the pool? Then run the 1 1/5 hose from the adapter b to the pump? or should i cut the holes larger and only use one outlet and use the other for a skimmer? if so, any recommendations on skimmers?

I'm new here myself, but from all my reading here, the Hayward skimmers seem to be the choice. Using the Hayward, you'd need the adapters because the fittings are 1.5". I'm planning on getting bigger returns and cutting them in along with my already purchased Hayward skimmer. I'll hard pipe (Schedule 40 pvc) some of the lines from the Hayward fittings into the adapter then from that into the Intex flex pipes.

Here's a couple of links I bookmarked that have some good pics of what I'm trying to say: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...mmer-inlets-outlets-return-PVC-Diagrams-Video and https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/46843-Skimmer-for-Intex-Wide-mouth-Model

Just to make sure we are talking the same language, two of the holes are for delivering water to the pump, and one (the higher one) is for returning water back to the pool. You can buy adaptors that will go from the 1.5” hoses to your smaller holes, or you can actually cut the holes larger and use 1.5” fittings.

There are lots of threads here about doing this... just do a search for upgrading Intex. There are YouTube videos as well. You’ll also find info about adding a through wall skimmer.

Ask away - we are here to help!

8915F8BE-0B7C-49DE-B83E-E67680FBAF30.jpg

Thanks Kelly. That's what i was trying to say. I was thinking about putting a cap into one of the inlets delivering water to the pump and buying the B adapter and plunger valve for the other inlet. That way i can use the 1 1/2 inch hose that came with the pump. Since i will be using the smaller strainer and b adapter, does anyone think that this will cause an issue with the pump?? I spoke with Intex yesterday about the plunger/t-valve that connects to the 1 1/4 hoses and they said they don't carry it anymore and recommended the b adapter and the t-valve that came with the pool. I would rather just use the one hose for now and incorporate a skimmer off of the other line later if this set up will work. Thanks again for the help

My 15’ Intex only had 1 intake and one return. I did cut the intake larger, but just having the one worked fine. If you add a second intake later in the form of a through wall skimmer, that will just add to your circulation. So, I think what you want to do will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.