New Install Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 9 - help with plan and foam

V&T_ATX Pool

Jul 27, 2020
Austin, TX
We're another new entry into the AGP world with the 18x9x52 Intex Ultra Frame here in central Texas. After exhaustive research on TFP (and some on You Tube) and due to space limitations, we have set up the area for the pool similar to the method used by TrueDeeY in this video:

Our game plan -
  • We dug down to original soil (up to 12" in some areas), added a limestone retaining wall and then created a perfectly level area for the pool on a bed of compacted decomposed granite and masonry sand, as recommended by local landscape experts. The area is definitely level as we made and used a water level for best results.
  • After much head scratching, we've elected to use 4" concrete blocks under the legs instead of the wood recommended by Intex since we hope to leave the pool up year round. (Our carpentry friends discouraged wood to ground contact.) We're using 4x8x16 blocks from Home Depot for this as outlined in this thread: Best Way to set up large Intex Ultra XTR We reckon that if we double these up we'll have more than enough purchase for the legs? This method is pictured on the TFP website under the 'level your pool' section - How to level above ground pool - Further Reading Again, we plan to use the water level to make sure that all the concrete blocks are level with one another.
  • We also plan to use 1" pink foam board under the pool, taped with Gorilla tape, as per the info from @ jseyfert3 in this post: Size of XPS foam under INTEX 32x16 pool I couldn't find the T&G boards like he used (got the Owens Corning Foamular 150 from Home Depot) but will use the extra wide tape on the seams to compensate.
  • We'll put down the Intex tarp over the foam before filling the pool.
Questions -
  1. How far beyond the pool liner do we need to extend the foam? I couldn't find any exact explanation for that.
  2. Are we missing anything else - in the set up, I mean? (I'm sure we'll have more questions once we start to hook up the filter, test the water and treat the pool, etc.)
Thanks in advance for y'all's help.

Attachments

• IMG_6674 (1).jpg
    IMG_6674 (1).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6676 (1).jpg
    IMG_6676 (1).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6675 (1).jpg
    IMG_6675 (1).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 57
I know I have seen a post on here within the last couple of months about leg room. Have you done a search of the forum? Not sure if they had the same pool, but someone went out and measured theirs to assist the OP.

Kelly,
Thanks for the info on the pad dimensions. I was able to find two sources of info on the forum with a search.
In case anyone else is looking for this information,
  1. One can find dimensions for the set-up of the Intex 24x12 in this post: Dimension of Intex Ultra Frame 24x12
  2. The support pad dimensions for the Intex 18x9 are here: Intex 9'x18' Support Pad Dimensions This is the information that we needed.
One minor thing. @Mickelin lists the center-to-center dimensions between side supports at 44", while @deshaj lists that same figure at 48". Maybe the dimension is different for the two different pools? FYI, our own measures match the 48" figure.

Reactions: kellyfair
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.